June, July, or August???

hammie59

DIS Veteran
Newby to Disneyland and all things California. Planning a summer trip and trying to figure out best time to go. Dealing with school end and start dates so looking at the last 2 weeks of June, all of July, and first 2 weeks of August. We don't mind hot weather, it's the crowds that we're afraid of :eek:

July would work. Look for the dates in the Disneyland AP calendar to see when the lower passes are blocked.
Only blocked on Saturdays June thru mid August, which doesn't really tell me much. I know weekends are busier since DL is a locals park compared to WDW, so we'd go mid week, but that's all I know at this point.

Newby to Disneyland and all things California. Planning a summer trip and trying to figure out best time to go. Dealing with school end and start dates so looking at the last 2 weeks of June, all of July, and first 2 weeks of August. We don't mind hot weather, it's the crowds that we're afraid of :eek:

Crowds and Disney just go together these days.
There are very few times where the parks aren't busy.
The key is trying to pick the least busy time to go. With the fewest attractions closed.

When planning a trip there are a few things to keep in mind.

Having an idea of what's going on in the parks will help you judge which dates might be best for you.
Scroll through this thread and you can see an UNOFFICIAL LIST of information.
2018 Calendar of Events & school breaks a DLR
https://www.disboards.com/threads/2018-calendar-of-events-school-breaks-and-dlr.3635162/

Blockout Calendar can play a real important role in crowds.
The volume in the parks is affected by Deluxe and lower passes.
Disney's Blockout Calendar
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/passes/blockout-dates/

Disney has a lot up their sleeve for awhile.....
Closed/Refurbish list
http://www.wdwinfo.com/disneyland/plan.htm#rehab

This Disney Blog has information on plans for the new hotel.
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/10/new-hotel-disneyland-resort/

Good luck with your planning.
If you have specific questions, just ask. Someone will have an answer for you.

Geemo

I think one thing that might affect crowds is when they decide to reopen Paradise Pier in DCA. Right now they say "summer 2018" but with everything down from January until summer, I think locals (myself included) will come in droves to see the new Paradise Pier when it reopens.

We went last summer early June, and again in September, but I admittedly (obsessively) kept an eye on crowds over the summer between those trips because I plan on renewing our passes sometime summer 2018. Based on what I saw on these boards and wait times on the app, late June and early July seemed to have the lowest crowds combined with long hours and full operations.
All SoCal APs should be blocked end of June, and heavier summer crowds seemed to pick up later in July through early August.

Only blocked on Saturdays June thru mid August, which doesn't really tell me much. I know weekends are busier since DL is a locals park compared to WDW, so we'd go mid week, but that's all I know at this point.
This is probably the Deluxe pass dates you are seeing. The SoCal passes are what you want to try and work around.

This is probably the Deluxe pass dates you are seeing. The SoCal passes are what you want to try and work around.
Here are a few snippets of the various BlockOut calendars

Attachments

• 2017-12-31 001.JPG
    2017-12-31 001.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 2017-12-31 002.JPG
    2017-12-31 002.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 2017-12-31 003.JPG
    2017-12-31 003.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 25
June 8- August 18 the low-level locals are blocked out.

June 29-aug 19 mid level blocked so anything between these dates! Watch for holiday weekends though and avoid.

Late June is best for weather (a little cooler on average) and lower crowds.

Since you are trying to be mindful of crowds, consider carefully your lodging. It is a bit easier to work around crowds at DLR if you make a good hotel choice. I always vote for a walking distance. WDW only has a few such options for certain parks. DLR has more options for both parks. See "HydroGuy's Hotel Rule" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199862

:wizard:

Go in mid to late June. Great weather and some of the lowest crowds of the year (but still crowded). Also few ride closures, long operating hours and all the shows and fireworks. In July it heats up an August & September are usually pretty awful as far as the weather.

If your choices were any week in July or the last week of August (right before Labor Day), which week would you choose? (We’ll be splitting the week between DLR & San Diego, probably doing DLR the first half of the week.)

My kids don’t get out of school until June 26th so we can’t really go until the first week of July at the earliest, and I have work/other commitments blocking out the first three weeks of August. I’m leaning toward just going the first week of July, then we could spend the 4th with our friends in San Diego. So we’d hit DLR July 1-3 (Sun-Tues). Am I crazy for considering going that week, or might it not be that bad since most AP holders are blocked out starting 7/1?

We are looking at going sometime late July/early August. Going out to visit my parents with the littles for a few weeks so we'll likely do 3 days in the parks. We could split them up, but I'll probably do two nights at a Good Neighbor. Once I firm up dates with my parents I can decide. Perks of being from LA is home is a vacation destination. Hoping to spend a little more time showing my kids my hometown before my parents flee to some retirement destination! ;)

We are looking at going sometime late July/early August. Going out to visit my parents with the littles for a few weeks so we'll likely do 3 days in the parks. We could split them up, but I'll probably do two nights at a Good Neighbor. Once I firm up dates with my parents I can decide. Perks of being from LA is home is a vacation destination. Hoping to spend a little more time showing my kids my hometown before my parents flee to some retirement destination! ;)
This is when we are thinking of going also!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter