~June 27, 2009 Western, anyone?~

Cinderella2004

<font color=red>My DH did manage to drag me away (
We are in the very beginning stages of booking this trip. Anyone else going?

I checked the thread at the top of this page, and saw no one had started a thread yet...

Let's count down the 18 months together!!!!! :laughing:

We will be on that cruise as well. There are 10 of us: my family (me 42, DH 43, DD 10, DD 8), my sister's family (Dsis 39, DH 49, DD 10, DS 7), and my parents. Can't wait!:yay:

Let me explain:
My DS turns 18 on the date we sail. I am not sure if he'd rather do the teen activities or the adult activities. I talked to DCL and they said that as long as he's still in HS even if he's 18 he can hang out with the teens. Here's the problem, this will be his HS graduation present.

So... just in case he decides he'd rather do the teen thing, I've also booked the June 13th cruise. The decision will be made at Christmas, which is when I tell "the boys" about it. My DD and I have been planning this for a while.

So hello there! Hopefully we'll see you on board!

I know it's still about a year away but it's not as much fun getting excited about my cruise all by myself. I was hoping more cruisers would have replied to this thread. Oh well, maybe that means we'll have the ship all to ourselves!

We too just booked this cruise, our first ever for myself, DH and two sons. They will be 12 and 13 at time of cruise. They have no idea of our plans as it will be their Xmas present from us.

A year of firsts coming up with our first :santa: Xmas away from home (we will be at Boardwalk Villas for two weeks) and our first cruise. :banana: :banana:

We have so much to learn about cruising, what to pack, what to book ahead etc etc. Hoping to get LOTS of tips from you experts. :surfweb:

Me, DH, and DS16 (then) will be on this cruise.

But, I interviewed for a job 2 days ago and there is a special program they do in the summer and I may have to rebook for earlier in June if I get the job.

Didn't get they job. Or any job yet.

But I did get a one cat upgrade and saved $1600 on my booking this week!:cool1: DCL had extend the dates on the military discounts. :goodvibes

I am still planning on this cruise and now I am beginning to try to figure out how to "spring it" on the boys.

So I sprung the surprise on the boys and they decided to do it! Time to start planning details...

I'm Marissa. My parents have decided to blow our inheritance while they're still alive and they're taking our whole family on the vacation of a lifetime. It will be my parents, us (Me, DH, 8 y/o, 5 y/o and 2 y/o), and my brother's family (brother, fiancee and daughter 11 y/o).

I must say I'm a bit nervous about it. I don't have sea legs AT ALL. Also, my 2 year old is in the throes of the Terrible 2's and is physically and mentally exhausting these days. We've also been booked in a room with a veranda and that makes me incredibly nervous. My older 2 are deathly afraid of falling overboard, but my 2 y/o is fearless and I don't want him anywhere near the door.

In any case, I'm really looking forward to this trip.

Does anyone have ideas on how to inexpensively get from Disney World to the ship? $350 for my family to get to and from the ship is not in the vacation budget.

Thanks!

Hi everyone. Count us in. DW, DD20, DD15 and I will be sailing with you. This will be our 4th Disney Cruise (2nd time on sailing the Western Caribbean on the Magic).

We are all very excited, but are trying to temper that with the fact that we are still 5 months away from our sail away party.

So where is everyone??? :confused3 The last Disney cruise we took the discussion board was on its 6th page when we were 5 months away from sail away.

I'm Marissa. My parents have decided to blow our inheritance while they're still alive and they're taking our whole family on the vacation of a lifetime. It will be my parents, us (Me, DH, 8 y/o, 5 y/o and 2 y/o), and my brother's family (brother, fiancee and daughter 11 y/o).

I must say I'm a bit nervous about it. I don't have sea legs AT ALL. Also, my 2 year old is in the throes of the Terrible 2's and is physically and mentally exhausting these days. We've also been booked in a room with a veranda and that makes me incredibly nervous. My older 2 are deathly afraid of falling overboard, but my 2 y/o is fearless and I don't want him anywhere near the door.

In any case, I'm really looking forward to this trip.

Does anyone have ideas on how to inexpensively get from Disney World to the ship? $350 for my family to get to and from the ship is not in the vacation budget.

Thanks!
Hey Marissa. My group is very similar in its make up to yours. I am coming with the extended family too ... my parents, my family, and my sister's family. We will have two 11 year old girls, so maybe they can hook up with your brother's daughter in the kid's club. We'll also have an 8 y.o. boy and a 9 y.o. girl. Is your 8 y.o. a girl or a boy?

Hi everyone. Count us in. DW, DD20, DD15 and I will be sailing with you. This will be our 4th Disney Cruise (2nd time on sailing the Western Caribbean on the Magic).

We are all very excited, but are trying to temper that with the fact that we are still 5 months away from our sail away party.

So where is everyone??? :confused3 The last Disney cruise we took the discussion board was on its 6th page when we were 5 months away from sail away.

Maybe this lack of participation in the cruise meet forum means the ship will be empty and we'll all get upgrades!!

delta0413, any advice or recommendations on the western cruise? Did you do any cool excursions? This is my first cruise ever and we're all really excited (especially b/c it's Disney!).:yay:

We'd also like to do dinner one night at Palo. Any advice on which night to do it?

Thanks!

Maybe this lack of participation in the cruise meet forum means the ship will be empty and we'll all get upgrades!!

delta0413, any advice or recommendations on the western cruise? Did you do any cool excursions? This is my first cruise ever and we're all really excited (especially b/c it's Disney!).:yay:

We'd also like to do dinner one night at Palo. Any advice on which night to do it?

Thanks!

Hey Newt and Karen. Sorry for the delayed response. There has been such little activity on this thread that I haven't been checking it on a regular basis.

It would be awesome if upgrades were available especially during a period that is normally sold out, i.e. summer. We last cruised the Magic in October, 2007. Since schools were in session, the ship was not full and we could have upgraded from an Outside cabin to a Balcony for a relatively cheap price. I guess we'll see.

As for recommendations for excursions to do on the Western Caribbean itinerary... where do I start???

Key West - We've only been to Key West once... on the last Disney cruise. We chose to walk around and do our own thing. We (mostly me) decided to walk down to the southernmost point. It seemed like a good idea, but it was a long hot walk. When we finally made it there and turned the corner and got our first glimpse of it, we all paused in dumbfounded silence. We had visions of cute shops and restaurants surrounding the area.... NOPE! Just the concrete column that nearly everone has seen on TV that says "Southernmost Point in the US". My oldest daughter broke the silence and summed up all our feelings by saying, "Is this it?" The subsequent laughter momentarily masked our realization that we had to walk all the way back. We still laugh about it to this day. Priceless! We won't be doing that again! However, there is a shop that sells the best Key Lime pie we have ever had. I don't remember the name of it, but it's on Duval Street.

Grand Cayman - This is BY FAR our favorite place in the Caribbean. The excursion I would recommend here is a snorkling excusion to Stingray City. We purchased this through the cruise line the first time we were there, but won't do that again. I strongly recommend Captain Marvins and particularly the 3 hour version. This is the excursion we have done twice. If you select this one, you will have 3 stops that all offer something a little different. The last stop is Stingray City itself. BIG FUN!

Cozumel - We haven't done an excursion here either. In the 3 times we have been there we have always just shopped on the main drag there. One big recommendation I have for you in Cozumel is lunch (or snack) at Pancho's Backyard. The food is great! If you are so inclined, I would also recommend the Margaritas. They are very good and very strong. 1, 2, 3, Floor! :headache: We will probably break with tradition a bit and do an excusion this time. We are taking a hard look at the Dolphin encounter.

Castaway Cay - We LOVE this private island even though DW and I aren't big beach people. (Weird since I was born and raised in Orlando, Florida) The mere fact that Disney spent the money to build a pier so we can dock is huge. We been to several other cruise lines' private islands and don't care for the tendering to and from. DD20 and I have done the Parasailing and will this time too. DW wants to join us this time. You get an incredible view of the island from this altitude. Otherwise, just enjoy the island on what will hopefully be a sunny day.

Sorry this response was so long and I hope this helps. Please feel free to ask me any questions you want.

Lou

Well, I am counting down the days! 136 till I am cruisin!

We are definately going. I don't have a job to stop me. This is the only week that DS does not have football practice/weightlifting.

We are trying to decide on what excursions to do or not. On a previous cruise we did the Key West Conch train and were miserable (no restroom stop). And drank our way to the Southern Most point and back. Cozumel & Caymen will be new to us. We will probably do parasailing at Castaway Cay.

I have received Disney mail for the last 4 postal days! Adventures by Disney stuff, general DCL dvd, AP Mickey Monitor, and our get ready to cruise packet.

I also agree with we all should get upgrades. Since it seems like no one else is cruising with us. The website is still selling all the cats and the other board I post on has no one else posting on this date thread.

Reminder Dates:

29 March - For Castaway Club Members (if paid in full) - can book Palo, shore excursions, spa, babysitting, & youth activities

13 April - Final payment due

I'll be checking back more often since we are getting closer. :yay:

Delta, I just realized you ARE on this meet, I guess the DD age confused me.
Anyway... we got our papers the other day that tell all about the excursions. My DH said "Can't look at them until it's closer!!!!" Which means he'll look the week before!

Actually the guys are looking forward to diving in both Cozumel and Grand Cayman, anyone ever done that?

DD12 doesn't want to get off the ship at all! (We did a girls only cruise on the wonder in 2007). I might need some company in Cozumel :rotfl: happy to be your translator as I speak fluent spanish, like they won't know we are from the States if you hang with me!

Delta, I just realized you ARE on this meet, I guess the DD age confused me.
Anyway... we got our papers the other day that tell all about the excursions. My DH said "Can't look at them until it's closer!!!!" Which means he'll look the week before!

Actually the guys are looking forward to diving in both Cozumel and Grand Cayman, anyone ever done that?

DD12 doesn't want to get off the ship at all! (We did a girls only cruise on the wonder in 2007). I might need some company in Cozumel :rotfl: happy to be your translator as I speak fluent spanish, like they won't know we are from the States if you hang with me!

Hey wwwosie. Neither my DW or I are SCUBA certified. The most we do is snorkel. As of now DW, DD20, DD15 and I are strongly eyeballing one of the dolphin encounters. Thanks for the interpreter offer, but my family is from Cuba, but I guess we could all interpret for each other if we really want to confuse the locals. :laughing: We will probably be making a trek down to Pancho's Backyard again for some great fun and spirits. :thumbsup2

So your DD12 doesn't want to get off the ship in Cozumel? Just hope for your sake that this continues when she is of the age to go to college spring break. :banana:

Hey wwwosie. Neither my DW or I are SCUBA certified. The most we do is snorkel. As of now DW, DD20, DD15 and I are strongly eyeballing one of the dolphin encounters. Thanks for the interpreter offer, but my family is from Cuba, but I guess we could all interpret for each other if we really want to confuse the locals. :laughing: We will probably be making a trek down to Pancho's Backyard again for some great fun and spirits. :thumbsup2

So your DD12 doesn't want to get off the ship in Cozumel? Just hope for your sake that this continues when she is of the age to go to college spring break. :banana:

A really good friend of mine (who unfortunately passed away a few years) was from Cuba and used to say he didn't want to go to Cancún or Cozumel "too close to home" he used to say (plus from Mexico he could actually go).

I'm sure I can bribe DD12 to get off with me for some shopping but not the whole day. Pancho's sounds like fun. My DS turns 18 the day we sail so I did promise him a "legal" drink in Cozumel and one in Grand Cayman.

The dolphin encounter is fun, DS did it when we were there for a week in 1998.

I checked our cruise yesterday and there are cabins open in almost every category, not GTY but real cabin numbers. I wonder if things will get even worse when the 75 day deadline hits?
I guess I would be hoping for a reduction in price but I'm not counting on it.
Some good friends went on a 2 week cruise around the Cape for Christmas. They had dirt cheap rates for a porthole room and an inside state room and then found out both rooms had been upgraded to balconies because they were sailing 500 people short of full capacity. They said they closed the deck where they were supposed to stay. (Star Princess).
Everyone else is dropping fares... let's hope... but if not... less people at bingo!:lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter