July 4th fireworks- anyone else disappointed?

puffkin

DVC Owner- SSR & AKV
Just returned from a FABULOUS honeymoon trip and we had a wonderful time! However, one thing that really disappointed us were the fireworks at the Magic Kingdom on the 4th. I had read that they were really good and not to be missed, so we decided to brave the crowds and see them. Since it was the 4th, we didn't try to leave the park in the afternoon for a break because we were afraid we wouldn't get back in. It made for a long, hot, crowded 4th. We got a decent spot right above the rose garden about an hour before the fireworks began. The whole area was just gridlocked. It took almost 20 minutes for me to walk to a vendor to get bottled water. Anyway, the special holiday version of Fantasy in the Sky started at about 9:05. Tinkerbell didn't fly (there was some lightning in the area, which is probably why) and the fireworks were good. However, they were only 10 minutes!!!!!!!! Wishes is longer than that (and in my opinion much better)! Except for the timing to the music, the fireworks weren't any better than our local community puts on. I was expecting so much more after fighting with all those people and waiting over an hour.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else felt the same way? I had seen Wishes twice in December (plus 3 times this trip) and
THAT is a fireworks show! I wish I would have just skipped the MK that day. Would love to hear other opinions, because I wasn't impressed.

I would definately agree. We went in 95 expecting the fireworks to be extra special since it was the fourth. We were sorely disappointed! The park gates were closed because the Mk was filled to capacity and everywhere you turned you bumped into someone. Not to mention how HOT it was. I tought the display wasn't any better than on a non holiday night! In fact we have enjoyed much better displays right here at home. Needless to say I won't be visiting in July again.

We weren't there this year, but have been three times in the last few years and the fireworks each time were awesome (at least as good as Wishes and better than Chicago puts on). Did they shorten the show due to rain/lightning?

I don't think they shortened it. It rained briefly about 8:15 and there were some rumbles and lightning in the distance but nothing bad! I think the only thing they cut out because of the weather was Tinkerbell.

We were at Epcot last year for the 4th and everyone around our party, and us included, said that they had NEVER seen more impressive fireworks EVER! They did the usual Illuminations, then right after it was the best 15 minutes of constant "finale" fireworks that I've ever seen! I looked around quickly during it and everyone had their mouth open, gaping at the fireworks. :hyper:

Epcot was awesome last year. That's all I know for sure.

Karen

We were at disney on the 4th this year and must have seen a different show. We saw wishes twice and Fantasy in the sky was infinatly better than wishes. It may have been your vantage point since Fantasy was done across the entire lagoon.

We watched from the poly and have never seen as many explosions and bursts from a fireworks show. They were being launched from about 8 differenet places at once around the lagoon.

We watched wishes from both the castle and from the poly and niether were close to what we saw on the 4th.

We saw Sorcerery in the Sky at MGM (it was ok) and then Headed to Epcot. Saw Illuminations with the special Tribute to our servicemen & women at the end.....It WAS Awesome!!!

We've been to Disney several times for July 4th, but we always go to Epcot for the fireworks!! (We were always afraid of the crowds at MK!!)

I agree with the others - the fireworks at Epcot were SPECTACULAR!!!! Really awesome!

We too saw the fireworks on the 4th from the Poly and I kept thinking how in the world are people in the MK seeing 1/2 of this. The fireworks where going off all around the lagoon and it seemed like the show was planed just for the Poly, we were in the center of it all. I thought they were very good, but WISHES is still my favorite. I did think they were a bit short, especially when we were waiting for a bus from the POLY to DTD and saw the tips of the fireworks from EPCOT, WOW now that looked like a fireworks show. Constant boom boom boom... :earseek:

We saw both the MGM and EPcot fireworks this year and I thought they were both incredible.

We were down for the 4th and got to the MK around 6:00 for the fireworks. We figured that is we couldn't get into the park, we would go to either the Poly of the GF to watch the show. We stood by the flag pole by the enterance and right in line with the castle (at the oppopsite end of Main Street USA). We thought the fireworks were great. We could see the fireworks surrounding us on all sides - we loved it and thought it was great. Plus our location allow us to exit the park quickly afer the show and beat the crowds to the bus.

Does anyone have any pictures from the fireworks? Or know where to find them on the web? I would love to put some in my scrapbook.

princess:

Like some other people, I watched the MGM and Epcot fireworks on the 4th. I thought they were both pretty good, with Epcot's finale being the most I've ever seen shot off in a short time period like that. MK didn't do Wishes?? Really?? I thought they would do like Epcot, and have the regular fireworks and then a special 4th of July fireworks after that. Huh. I don't know what the old Sorcery in the Sky was like, but I don't think the MGM show was Sorcery in the Sky. It was like a rock 'n roll patriotic show (think R-O-C-K in the USA to fireworks). And the park guide didn't advertise it as Sorcery in the Sky either.

I went to the Epcot one on the 4th. I was amazed! It was the best fireworks I've ever seen. I will prob. never foreget how great they were. The really blew up the sky!::MickeyMo

I agree with sugarmouse. I thought MGM was impressive until i went over and saw Epcot's finale. There were so many going off that you couldn't even hardly see anything, just flashes of light and booms and smoke (I was over between UK and Canada). Never seen a fireworks like that before. Everybody seemed amazed- even the stranger next to me commented on what a display it was.

We have spent many a 4th of July in the MK watching the fireworks. There was most definitely something amiss this year. Our first clue that something was wrong was that they started a good 4 minutes late. That is very unlike the Disney fireworks shows, the music is cued on a computer, it's unusual to run behind unless there was in issue. Now in the past, the patriotic fireworks portion was always in addition to the entire Fantasy in the Sky music and show. With the change to Wishes this past year, I wasn't really sure what to expect, but since it was advertised as Fantasy in the Sky, I truly expected to hear the old music track first and then for the patriotic version to follow as the finale. There was weather, and they do have 2 different beginnings to Fantasy in the Sky for when weather precludes the flight of TB, but this year, the show went straight to what in the past has been a fabulous patriotic finale. Also, when they shot the 360 degree cannons, there were 2 maybe 3 cannons in the direction of the Contemporary that did not fire. Don't know what was up with that. A MK CM had mentioned to us while waiting that the show was rumored to be 35 minutes long and more spectacular than ever. It was 10 minutes at best, no Disney music at all, no TB flight, only a few patriotic songs and a less than 360 degree finale. Something most definitely went wrong, it was a fabulous 10 minute show, but to the July 4th veterans that have high expecations, it was most disappointing.

Wow, sorry to hear that! Yes, hearing other people's descriptions, it sounded odd to me, but you never know with Disney. Maybe the weather service was telling them something awful and they shortened it or something, just to make sure they wouldn't have to end it right in the middle.

I am SO HAPPY with our choice to go to Epcot on the 4th.

IMHO, Illuminations are much better than wishes anyways, I was not impressed with wishes at all when I saw them. But I thought Illuminations was fantastic.. and then on the 4th.. I was blown away... I had tears in my eyes... and I am SO HAPPY that I have it all on video tape. The patriotic tribute at the end was AMAZING... ( and also made my ears hurt.. lol)... We sat on some benches right inbetween the US, and France... great seats... some fireworks even shot out right from where we sat.. We sat there both times I saw Illuminations... and on the fourth grabbed the bench at 7 for the 10 o'clock show...

I was extreamly pleased with our choice for the fourth.. And now hearing about what HAD to have been a mishap at MK, I am glad we made the choice we did.

I have it on good authority from a personal friend who was at MK on the 4th that the fireworks were abbreviated due to lightning. Also Dan Murphy has pictures posted and they show lightening during the fireworks as well. I reccomend that everyone check out the pictures, they were awesome!

SG/Linda

7/4/04 MK fireworks from the TTC area

My actual favorite 4th of July fireworks show was at Pleasure Island.

f7df8fde.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter