July 2021 Car Rental thread.

I have a full size car reserved from Hertz out of SFB for 10.5 days for $501 (including all taxes and fees). Prices for my dates out of MCO were pretty much the same. Used a code for subscribers to a Savers newsletter. Ended up being about $350 less than anything else I could find (full size car, minivan, or any SUV).
Thank you so much for that reminder about the newsletter. I did find some codes on there that lowered my rate about $100 dollars.

Thank you so much for that reminder about the newsletter. I did find some codes on there that lowered my rate about $100 dollars.
Do you have a link to subscribe to this newsletter? My kids and I had a trip the beginning of June. Our trip wasn't everything we hoped it would be (trip to ER and various other issues). We decided to give it another go with a quick trip at the end of July. So far, I can't find a decent rate for the 4 days ($519 midsize through Costco is the best). If anyone knows of any codes or tips, I would be grateful. In June, I only paid $350 for 9 days.

@staceyj2… I have heard and read that car rental prices are through the roof.. supposedly during Covid car rental companies depleted their inventory, but it’s my feeling that the car rental companies are jacking up prices to compensate for fewer travelers during Covid,, just like the airlines are doing. Check Mousesavers for tips on codes etc.. Just when some folks are beginning to travel, it’s ridiculous and sad😱

I now have re-subscribed to that newsletter and checked rates via the CDP found on the site. Can anyone share the newsletter code? I don't want to wait until the 15th of next month to get it. :)

Might want to edit this and PM the code. The newsletter specifically asks not to share publicly, and even specifies this forum. I'd hate to see the code get pulled.
Sorry, I didn't realize or I wouldn't have asked. :)

Also, since I find it's easy to forget about, many employers have codes for personal travel. My code knocked about $150 off of a 1-week rental.

Please excuse my ignorance. I am interested in the code for rental discount. However, how can I PM somebody? Thank you for your help in advance.

I'm not happy because we had a reservation with Hertz (using the CDP from Mousesavers) - and Hertz sent us an email today saying that the contract has changed and our reservation went up approximately $$150. I didn't think they could so that since we had a reservation (changing the price after the reservation).

I would love any other information to try to lower it again - or to book with someone different. Our reservation for the end of July is so much higher than we've ever paid.

Last edited:
I'm not happy because we had a reservation with Hertz (using the CDP from Mousesavers) - and Hertz sent us an email today saying that the contract has changed and our reservation went up approximately $$150. I didn't think they could so that since we had a reservation (changing the price after the reservation).

I would love any other information to try to lower it again - or to book with someone different. Our reservation for the end of July is so much higher than we've ever paid.
That's how CDPs work. They can be renegotiated at any time. Unless your reservation says at the bottom "Rate is guaranteed." That's why it's important to know what codes you are using and what they are good for. I'm surprised they sent you an email and told you. Most of the time when I have this issue I only find it when I'm double checking my reservations.

Advice is the same as it always is. Book through Autoslash. They guarantee the rates they offer you, even if Hertz raised it, Autoslash would make it right. Then have them monitor the reservation for price drops.

Thanks for the heads up. I checked my reservation and it has doubled. Not happy. Back to the drawing board.

I know I’m late to the game but I’ve been back to WDW four times since it reopened. Every time I’ve rented it’s jumped in price every time. We’re flying into Sanford on the 22nd and I luckily prepaid via UT for a van rental for $694 6 weeks ago. I used UT’s special code when i bought my sisters family park tickets. I looked yesterday with the same code and it’s up to 1000 with their savings.

I just checked and my $207 reservation just about doubled to $405. Not happy but definately appreciate the heads up. I never would have thought to check. :(

Is this something that needs to be reported to the newsletter just so they know this is happening?

Same thing happened to me through Hertz. We had a large sedan for $563 and it jumped to $1100. Too good to be true.

might be a lot of folks jumped on the Mouse/Hertz deal at about the same time and Hertz had a what's up with that moment and made adjustments within a couple of days of the reservation . like $425 is now $885 . agreed sounded too good to be true . but $1200 plus is insane and hopefully someone steps in to curtail the madness of the car rental prices at some point . my2cents

That's how CDPs work. They can be renegotiated at any time. Unless your reservation says at the bottom "Rate is guaranteed." That's why it's important to know what codes you are using and what they are good for. I'm surprised they sent you an email and told you. Most of the time when I have this issue I only find it when I'm double checking my reservations.

Advice is the same as it always is. Book through Autoslash. They guarantee the rates they offer you, even if Hertz raised it, Autoslash would make it right. Then have them monitor the reservation for price drops.
Thank you for the info. I went through Autoslash and although I definitely did not get my $563 rental back, it was $864 and not the $1100! I am only concerned as it took me to Priceline to secure the reservation for Hertz. I am hoping they will still have a car waiting for me when we arrive. Do you know if my Gold number is attached if that will help?

Thank you for the info. I went through Autoslash and although I definitely did not get my $563 rental back, it was $864 and not the $1100! I am only concerned as it took me to Priceline to secure the reservation for Hertz. I am hoping they will still have a car waiting for me when we arrive. Do you know if my Gold number is attached if that will help?
You booked originally through Autoslash, called them and they didn't make it right? That seems very odd of them considering what they've done in the past.

To the best of my knowledge, car rentals don't treat third party reservations any differently than direct, unlike hotels and airlines. Having your Hertz Gold number attached isn't going to hurt you, and it seems that the no vehicle issue has been resolved. Now if we could get prices down it would be fantastic

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter