July 2021 Car Rental thread.

Luvdisney

DIS Veteran
I didn't see a thread for this yet. But was socked at the pricing I am see for a rental in July. I looked at Costco and for 2 weeks in July/Aug was crazy. Trip planned starting July 24 MCO to Aug 7 MCO. We went the same 2 weeks in 2020. I was able to get a premium crossover for $585.00 at Alamo through Costco. Just looked at Costco and he same vehicle is $1131.00 ouch. Even a intr. SUV is over $700. This is to small for us, but these prices are just insane.

I didn't see a thread for this yet. But was socked at the pricing I am see for a rental in July. I looked at Costco and for 2 weeks in July/Aug was crazy. Trip planned starting July 24 MCO to Aug 7 MCO. We went the same 2 weeks in 2020. I was able to get a premium crossover for $585.00 at Alamo through Costco. Just looked at Costco and he same vehicle is $1131.00 ouch. Even a intr. SUV is over $700. This is to small for us, but these prices are just insane.
That's over 6 months from now and rental prices tend to be higher further out. They should start to come down as summer approaches.

Prices are high this year compared to the past. For our October trip to Ko Olina (2 weeks) I was able to get a midsize for around $750; now it’s almost $1,000. I’ve paid a grand for a month there in the past! Glad I got it booked when I did, as I am doubtful it will come down.

I suspect car rental agencies are trying to recoup some of the losses with not much leisure travel last year, plus the fleets that were sitting there must have involved selling off some of their cars.

I’d book something then keep checking back.

I have a weekly rental starting July 5th (Alamo through Costco) for a standard size sedan (which will be full size at MCO) for $515. About twice what we usually pay. I always keep checking and rebook as necessary. Even though I have an Alamo reservation number and the reservation is linked to my Alamo Insider account, cancellation requires a phone call. However, this is done with an automated answering system, so you don’t even need to talk to anyone to cancel.

I found it interesting that the rates were very different between pickup up at airport vs car care center with airport return. For my dates using Costco 7/30-8/7 it was nearly $150 cheaper to NOT get at the airport. Doesn't make sense to me but I have to weigh the inconvenience of not taking a car out and use the DME

I found it interesting that the rates were very different between pickup up at airport vs car care center with airport return. For my dates using Costco 7/30-8/7 it was nearly $150 cheaper to NOT get at the airport. Doesn't make sense to me but I have to weigh the inconvenience of not taking a car out and use the DME
That sometimes happens if by chance they have a larger than normal number of cars being returned at the CCC on a particular day. Also, there are differences in the fee schedule because you don’t pay the airport concession fee.

That sometimes happens if by chance they have a larger than normal number of cars being returned at the CCC on a particular day. Also, there are differences in the fee schedule because you don’t pay the airport concession fee.
Appreciate the reply. I've never really seen that in the past and caught me off guard when I tried it as a lark.

I have a weekly rental starting July 5th (Alamo through Costco) for a standard size sedan (which will be full size at MCO) for $515. About twice what we usually pay.
We visit over the 4th of july most years. The rate you posted is 2/3rds more than our last one in 2019. Yes, i have that number in mind while i’ve Been checking.

Luckily, we can ahem, fudge, using the mr’s corporate rate at Avis. I’ve been booking it as a fallback for last few years until i find a decent rate at alamo. That did not happen for our last sept/oct ‘20 or early march trip this year. Did snag a AAA rate for SUV thru Dollar rather last minute there for $193.

Not counting on it for upcoming end of April/May or July trip but, hope springs eternal :)
Thanks for that reminder. Going to start double checking that when i run the prices. Tried sporadically in the past, never saw much off a difference, only worked out once for us to point where it was worth it to me to spend the time to take the shuttle to pick it up.

We visit over the 4th of july most years. The rate you posted is 2/3rds more than our last one in 2019. Yes, i have that number in mind while i’ve Been checking.

Luckily, we can ahem, fudge, using the mr’s corporate rate at Avis. I’ve been booking it as a fallback for last few years until i find a decent rate at alamo. That did not happen for our last sept/oct ‘20 or early march trip this year. Did snag a AAA rate for SUV thru Dollar rather last minute there for $193.

Not counting on it for upcoming end of April/May or July trip but, hope springs eternal :)

Thanks for that reminder. Going to start double checking that when i run the prices. Tried sporadically in the past, never saw much off a difference, only worked out once for us to point where it was worth it to me to spend the time to take the shuttle to pick it up.

I checked this past weekend and the difference went up to $200. For that personally I'll take the MDE and get the car later

I checked this past weekend and the difference went up to $200. For that personally I'll take the MDE and get the car later
Whatever works for you. Wish there were more options. Used to be many reports posted here of people people grabbing a good discount renting from one of the DTD resorts No idea if those rates have followed suit with the high pricing.

Rates usually tend to spike on weekends when i do check.

I just check rental car prices for a trip flying into Ft. Myers airport for 10 days in July. A minivan was $1,300. Talk about sticker shock!!!

Just booked a trip from 7/23-7/30 and went to carrental****** website and booked a Hertz midsize rental for 8 days (early pickup/late return) for $356...is this real? It seems that all of the other rentals were about $200 more. Will I arrive and NOT have a car??

Just booked a trip from 7/23-7/30 and went to carrental****** website and booked a Hertz midsize rental for 8 days (early pickup/late return) for $356...is this real? It seems that all of the other rentals were about $200 more. Will I arrive and NOT have a car??
If the agency is the one Im thinking of, they use Priceline. Look at your reservation confirmation

thanks! Their price is so much lower(several hundred$) than any other site. I was afraid I'd be stuck in MCO without a car

Is anyone having any luck getting decent rental rates for July? I normally rent through Costco and I do have a reservation there with Budget, but wanted to see if anyone has found a place with better rates. Reserved an intermediate SUV for $544. I know we are going through all of the issues with re-opening and a shortage of cars, but it is so hard to pay that much.

Also can anyone share their experience with Budget at MCO? I always use Alamo and wondered if it is comparable.

Is anyone having any luck getting decent rental rates for July? I normally rent through Costco and I do have a reservation there with Budget, but wanted to see if anyone has found a place with better rates. Reserved an intermediate SUV for $544. I know we are going through all of the issues with re-opening and a shortage of cars, but it is so hard to pay that much.

Also can anyone share their experience with Budget at MCO? I always use Alamo and wondered if it is comparable.
I have a full size car reserved from Hertz out of SFB for 10.5 days for $501 (including all taxes and fees). Prices for my dates out of MCO were pretty much the same. Used a code for subscribers to a Savers newsletter. Ended up being about $350 less than anything else I could find (full size car, minivan, or any SUV).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter