July 1, 2020 Disney Dream Cancellation Question

baranotm

Earning My Ears
My family of 4 currently has a deposit down on the July 1, 2020 Disney Dream Castaway Cay double dip cruise. Our final balance due date was moved out to 4/30/20. We have a question regarding cancellation as this will only be our 2nd cruise. Disney said that if we cancel now we'll lose our deposit around $1100. We have the Disney insurance. My question is related to cancelling closer to embarkation. If we wait until the week before, I think the cancellation fee would be 100% of the cruise cost (~ $5800 without the cost of the insurance ~$450). However, the insurance says that we could get a future cruise credit of 75% of the cancellation fee. I interpret this amount to be ~$4400. Thus, we would be out ~$1400 plus the insurance cost. I think the risk of waiting to cancel until later would only be difference between the deposit and this credit amount (i.e., ~$300 plus insurance cost). Is this an accurate interpretation of this information? There is also the chance that Disney might cancel, so this might all be irrelevant. We would appreciate any insight that anyone can provide during this strange and difficult time. Stay safe. Thanks.

Someone in another thread posted that Disney had pushed the cancellation policy back so you can get a full refund including your deposit until the new delayed PIF date, but I can't find that on the website now. I also heard someone else say that the PIF date moved but not the cancellation penalty. I guess if someone has that info they will probably share it.
If the deposit is nonrefundable, then I think your math looks right, but the main difference would be you are getting future credit from insurance instead of a cash refund if you cancel.

I know for us, PIF date is April 26 for July 25 cruise. We are in for the ride...we shall see if Disney cancels.

If the deposit is nonrefundable, then I think your math looks right, but the main difference would be you are getting future credit from insurance instead of a cash refund if you cancel.

I agree with this. The DCL insurance process actually means the insurance will first deny your claim (because your cancellation isn't for a coverage reason), and then you submit to DCL who will give you a credit towards a cruise which must be taken within 12 months. Unless you think you will cruise again within a year, I'd take the cash; the credit will be lost if you don't use it. Also, there is a chance that if DCL eventually cancels they may then refund your penalty.

I was on this cruise and was able to move to Thanksgiving last week with no penalty. I thought that I‘d have gotten a full refund if I wanted it. I was paid in full, checked in, got a great port arrival time, pirates league times etc. I might call back and ask again about what your penalty would be for cancelling now, if you’re considering it.

If it does sail, I think there’s a real possibility it could be the first one back. At first that sounded cool, but the more I thought about it, I didnt want to be a guinea pig! It stunk to cancel. My 40th birthday is 6/29, we’ve only ever sailed the Wonder on the west coast, we had DVC moonlight magic tickets on my birthday. I’m still wondering if we made the right choice! But DH‘s job situation is in flux too which also impacted our decision to push it back. Good luck with your decision!

We are on the July 27th Dream cruise. I'm hoping Disney cancels. My TA thinks they will, so we are waiting to see what happens. We really don't want to go on the cruise now. I have two kids with asthma, and I have health conditions too.

I did ask about canceling this week, and our TA called. He said because we are concierge we would lose our deposit if we canceled. We decided to ride it out.

If you cancel before your final payment date, you don’t lose anything (although in your case, you’ll lose your insurance).

We are on the July 27th Dream cruise. I'm hoping Disney cancels. My TA thinks they will, so we are waiting to see what happens. We really don't want to go on the cruise now. I have two kids with asthma, and I have health conditions too.

I did ask about canceling this week, and our TA called. He said because we are concierge we would lose our deposit if we canceled. We decided to ride it out.

You don’t lose your deposit, you just can’t get a refund. They’ll move the money to anything you want, even a non-concierge booking.

Thanks for the responses. We paid the final balance and we'll wait to see what happens. Stay safe.

This is our cruise too. We’ve been on the fence but think we just decided to go for it and make the final payment. With the CDC’s no sail order in effect through the end of July, ships can’t sail until covid19 is no longer considered a threat OR the order expires. So unless the threat goes away by the time we sail, we likely won’t sail and will have to reschedule.

This is our cruise too. We’ve been on the fence but think we just decided to go for it and make the final payment. With the CDC’s no sail order in effect through the end of July, ships can’t sail until covid19 is no longer considered a threat OR the order expires. So unless the threat goes away by the time we sail, we likely won’t sail and will have to reschedule.
Or until the CDC director rescinds the order due to the public health "or other considerations." Which means the CDC director can cancel the no-sail order at any time for any reason.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter