JoW, not going to waste my time

Is JoW at Epcot just an added attraction that Disney built so as to not to have to staff it? There is no way I would waste my precious time with such with only one Epcot day in January.
It is probably intended for people like our family who typically go to Epcot at least twice. A welcome break from standing in lines.

Disney has blown it on Epcot when it comes to expectations though. The new changes are taking soooooo long and have basically ruined the experience of touring Epcot literally for years. Almost no matter what they do now, the reaction will be "We put up with years of walls and a giant dirt pit in the middle of the park (still paying increasing prices) for THIS?" Nothing they do now will seem worth it for the time and aggravation it took.

That combined with modern Disney Fans' basic instinct to reflexively hate anything they change in the parks, even when we've never seen it person or it hasn't even been built yet.
I thought the long wait for things to get done at EPCOT was because of the pandemic and a sinkhole/water issue at one of the building sites?

I thought the long wait for things to get done at EPCOT was because of the pandemic and a sinkhole/water issue at one of the building sites?
Disney sat on the projects for much longer than they should have, even they admitted that. Tron is another example. Earlier issues with parts was resolved long before they began working on it again. Disney let Moana sit until fall 2021 and largely went on a glacially slow timeframe.

The Play pavilion was scraped too.

It was more or less really apparent because their competitor down the street has been plowing on forward while Disney sat twiddling their thumbs.

Yeah that's part of it, but they definitely slow rolled construction on Guardians and Tron and other things to spread the costs to multiple fiscal years. Projects sat for months at a time with basically no work being done. Universal built Velocicoaster in like 22 months during that timeframe. Disney could absolutely have gone at that pace if they wanted.

I don't understand the comments about its theming being out of place. Whether we like it or not, they're moving away from the front of Epcot being Future World. All of Disney's press around front-of-Epcot construction puts it in the World Nature section like The Land and The Seas. I'd say it fits that theme perfectly. Unless it's not actually located where Innoventions West was? (I haven't seen it myself and it's not on the maps yet)

Disney sat on the projects for much longer than they should have, even they admitted that. Tron is another example. Earlier issues with parts was resolved long before they began working on it again. Disney let Moana sit until fall 2021 and largely went on a glacially slow timeframe.

The Play pavilion was scraped too.

It was more or less really apparent because their competitor down the street has been plowing on forward while Disney sat twiddling their thumbs.
Epic Universe site in 2022:
epic-universe-before.jpg

Epic Universe site in 2023:
epic-universe-after.jpg

ETA: Quite a bit of progress from empty lot last year to its current state. And videos showing close-up details are very exciting to see how much it's coming along.

Last edited:
Epic Universe site in 2022:
View attachment 794999

Epic Universe site in 2023:
View attachment 794998
That's a lot done for an entire theme park, have we forgotten that Epic Universe is an entirely NEW theme park with 2 on site hotels (would you like photos of those to see the progress into new hotels?). Surely you're not actually thinking this is the same.

Little changed for Moana in the span a very long time..just dirt. Tron still had dirt when we visited in May 2022, we didn't expect to see how much they still had to do.
1695061199120.png
Y'all remember that Tron started construction several YEARS before the pandemic right? Regardless of parts issues, it's a copied attraction too and also intentionally slowed down.

Moana December 2021 (after they actually restarted working on it.
1695061429758.png

Moana August 2022 (and nothing had really changed since May 2022 when we were there)..oh look there's some rock progress!!
1695061688421.png

Please no one can defend Disney's slow pace here which was absolutely intentional. It's opening 2 years after it was originally planned and that is Disney's choice not covid or the pandemic. And should we even get started on the parking trams 🙄

That's a lot done for an entire theme park, have we forgotten that Epic Universe is an entirely NEW theme park with 2 on site hotels (would you like photos of those to see the progress into new hotels?). Surely you're not actually thinking this is the same.
The photos I posted were intended to show how MUCH progress has been made on Epic Universe.

ETA: Videos showing the amount of detail already going into Nintendo Land, Dark Universe, HTTYD, and WWoHP are pretty astonishing.

You have my sincere apologies :flower3:

Without any words I didn't know you would be trying to vouch for what I was saying. I appreciate you correcting me on what you were trying to say :)
No worries. That was kind of ambiguous. It's pretty amazing to me that it's gone from an empty lot to having so many recognizable structures from the concept art and even nearly complete rides.

I very much look forward to JOW. The more we travel to WDW the more we like Epcot for it's general park feel. The first huge improvement was getting the park entrance back to a lush beautiful area rather than the ugly hard monoliths they had out front for far too long.

Love that they have an attraction that you can just walk through and enjoy and do at your own pace.

As others have said, also love that the walls are coming down.

I very much look forward to JOW. The more we travel to WDW the more we like Epcot for it's general park feel. The first huge improvement was getting the park entrance back to a lush beautiful area rather than the ugly hard monoliths they had out front for far too long.

Love that they have an attraction that you can just walk through and enjoy and do at your own pace.

As others have said, also love that the walls are coming down.

If your kids (or you) had a picture on the "ugly hard monoliths", would you feel the same?

Yeah, I think not.

If your kids (or you) had a picture on the "ugly hard monoliths", would you feel the same?

Yeah, I think not.
Never would have happened. We would not have paid for us to be in a photo on those monoliths in that location They were out of place and uninviting in my opinion. It’s something I noticed the very first time we visited Epcot. Glad they moved the pictures away from that particular location.

Having been on these boards for almost 23 years, I can tell you that with every attraction there are as many detractors as their are people who state it as their favorite.
You should have been here for the great Mr. Toad's Wild Ride debate!
Only you can decide if it is worth your time. I was going to pass but then I saw a walk through.
Totally different than what I expected.

Last edited:
Then don't waste your precious time. No one is forcing you.

Everyone has a different visiting Disney style. I'd rather walk through this and slowly stroll the details of each park than to zip from ride to ride and miss so many details.

Having been on these boards for almost 23 years, I can tell you that with every attraction there as many detractors as their are people who state it as their favorite.
You should have been here for the great Mr. Toad's Wild Ride debate!
Only you can decide if it is worth your time. I was going to pass but then I saw a walk through.
Totally different than what I expected.
I really, really miss Mr. Toad, Horizons, the hydrolator 😭. Thankfully Living with the Land and beloved Figment are still around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter