JoW, not going to waste my time

I get that perspective. I could list 10 things (probably more) at WDW I have no interest in doing ever, and some of those are other people's favorite things. 🤷‍♂️

Personally I think attractions like this have their place in the parks, especially Epcot. I'm glad they did it and I'm bummed we won't get to do it in 2 weeks when we're there for 3.5yo granddaughter's first trip, who LOVES Moana and can sing all the songs by heart.

I don't expect to be blown away but it looks like it's beautiful and a fun way to kill a half hour, cool off and relax a bit. Everything doesn't have to be a major ride that will have a virtual queue an/or a 3 hour wait to try it when it's new. I love the walking trails at AK, but I know for some they're a big yawn.

Disney has blown it on Epcot when it comes to expectations though. The new changes are taking soooooo long and have basically ruined the experience of touring Epcot literally for years. Almost no matter what they do now, the reaction will be "We put up with years of walls and a giant dirt pit in the middle of the park (still paying increasing prices) for THIS?" Nothing they do now will seem worth it for the time and aggravation it took.

That combined with modern Disney Fans' basic instinct to reflexively hate anything they change in the parks, even when we've never seen it person or it hasn't even been built yet.

It is aesthetically out of place. Its beautiful but it belongs in AK.
I don't get this take. The movie isn't about animals and neither is the attraction. Half the park is dedicated to celebrating different parts of the world. We have an Eiffel Tower and an Aztec pyramid a quarter mile apart, but we can't have a tropical Island in the park? :confused3

One of my favorite things about WDW is variety, big small and everything in between. JoW against the already very green backdrop of AK wouldn’t work as well and be a bit redundant. I think it’s cool in Epcot. After all water is our future. Angles are more visually interesting in Epcot and while it has LwtL and the aquarium it’s nice to have something outside. No complaints here. People keep asking for people eaters and not just e-tickets. I’d much prefer this over some spinner ride like Alien Swirling Saucers.

People keep asking for people eaters and not just e-tickets
People eating in terms of what people ask for are like Ellen's Energy Adventure or Indy show at DHS (or even Little Mermaid show at DHS that isn't running right now).

This when it's busy will be very crowded and at the very front of the park (I'm hoping it won't clog that part up or that people won't just stop in the middle of a pathway to figure out if they want to go through it or not). It's not quite on par with the saying "people eating stuff". Doesn't mean people won't walk through it but it's not going to absorb the crowds necessarily.

It's a Polynesian theme, to me not the best suited for Epcot.
As opposed to areas themed to France, Mexico, Japan, Germany, etc? What makes Polynesia less suited to Epcot and less "cohesive" than any other part of the world? Are we just gonna pretend when you're coming in on the skyliner or monorail you can't see Spaceship Earth and the Eiffel Tower at the same time, but it's JoW that ruined the cohesion? 🤔

As opposed to areas themed to France, Mexico, Japan, Germany, etc? What makes Polynesia less suited to Epcot and less "cohesive" than any other part of the world? Are we just gonna pretend when you're coming in on the skyliner or monorail you can't see Spaceship Earth and the Eiffel Tower at the same time, but it's JoW that ruined the cohesion? 🤔
Because those are in World Showcase...where the point is to have various pavilions of different countries.....

Had they done a pavilion for the south pacific back in World Showcase and put the walk through attraction there (although odd since we're talking about a culture and/or region of the world not a singular country) might have made more sense.

Nah can't pretend about the skyliner..then again that's like you thinking I don't have an impression there lol. Sightlines have never been my beef but when the skyliner came about there was a crap ton of negative comments towards it and how it ruined the views. But sightlines are different than what we're talking about. Spaceship Earth the theming was what I was speaking to not the size/sight of it

*ETA: one exception to me caring about sightlines were the Harmonious barges but that I know is not an unpopular opinion.

Because those are in World Showcase...where the point is to have various pavilions of different countries.....

Had they done a pavilion for the south pacific back in World Showcase and put the walk through attraction there (although odd since we're talking about a culture and/or region of the world not a singular country) might have made more sense.

Nah can't pretend about the skyliner..then again that's like you thinking I don't have an impression there lol. Sightlines have never been my beef but when the skyliner came about there was a crap ton of negative comments towards it and how it ruined the views. But sightlines are different than what we're talking about. Spaceship Earth the theming was what I was speaking to not the size/sight of it

*ETA: one exception to me caring about sightlines were the Harmonious barges but that I know is not an unpopular opinion.
I didn't even care about the sight lines with the barges, they were just an ugly abomination, like something out a dystopian movie. I'm amazed they were ever built. That could be one of the few unanimous opinions among Epcot fans.

I guess I just don't get the cohesion thing. Epcot doesn't have strict theming and never has. I mean you could throw a rock and hit Spaceship Earth from where Soarin and Living with the Land are. Not exactly space/future themed. Can't see it while on the attractions, I get it, but still. But I've never been a purist. Give me well made, entertaining attractions and I'm good. And maybe don't destroy a quarter of the park for years while you do it lol

I didn't even care about the sight lines with the barges, they were just an ugly abomination, like something out a dystopian movie. I'm amazed they were ever built. That could be one of the few unanimous opinions among Epcot fans.

I guess I just don't get the cohesion thing. Epcot doesn't have strict theming and never has. I mean you could throw a rock and hit Spaceship Earth from where Soarin and Living with the Land are. Not exactly space/future themed. Can't see it while on the attractions, I get it, but still. But I've never been a purist. Give me well made, entertaining attractions and I'm good. And maybe don't destroy a quarter of the park for years while you do it lol
I'm not some die hard Disney person here. I'm just giving my impression of its placement. IMO it would work better elsewhere and for what it is there could have been something better in Epcot done. Even if they stuck with an exploration trail not doing an IP of Moana would have worked better from my perspective but since they chose Moana it feels very out of place for me. Teaching about water fits with Epcot, but the usage of Moana does not.

I made the comment on the post you pulled my quote from that Disney hasn't cared about cohesiveness for years, they haven't. That doesn't mean people aren't like "say what?"

Like Micca said actually quite a brilliant idea IMO putting something on a slightly smaller scale at Poly (especially with the new Poly towers) would have been cool, could have even increased the buy in on DVC for that one lol.

I don't get this take. The movie isn't about animals and neither is the attraction. Half the park is dedicated to celebrating different parts of the world. We have an Eiffel Tower and an Aztec pyramid a quarter mile apart, but we can't have a tropical Island in the park? :confused3
Aesthetically, it looks out of place where it is. That was my thought as I looked right at the other day with the walls down. YMMV.

I'm not some die hard Disney person here. I'm just giving my impression of its placement. IMO it would work better elsewhere and for what it is there could have been something better in Epcot done. Even if they stuck with an exploration trail not doing an IP of Moana would have worked better from my perspective but since they chose Moana it feels very out of place for me. Teaching about water fits with Epcot, but the usage of Moana does not.

I made the comment on the post you pulled my quote from that Disney hasn't cared about cohesiveness for years, they haven't. That doesn't mean people aren't like "say what?"

Like Micca said actually quite a brilliant idea IMO putting something on a slightly smaller scale at Poly (especially with the new Poly towers) would have been cool, could have even increased the buy in on DVC for that one lol.
We just disagree, that's cool. IMO "fits with Epcot" really has no meaning and hasn't for at least 25 years. So I prefer to just judge each attraction independent of fit. But hey, that's me. As you said, that (space)ship sailed long ago. For better or worse people in general now are all about IP in the attractions.

You'll never see them put an attraction other than maybe shows that's anywhere near the level of what they put in the parks at the resorts. For many reasons. It would have to be a MUCH smaller scale. Like the level of the luau (RIP) or Hoop-De-Doo

We just disagree, that's cool. IMO "fits with Epcot" really has no meaning and hasn't for at least 25 years. So I prefer to just judge each attraction independent of fit. But hey, that's me. As you said, that (space)ship sailed long ago. For better or worse people in general now are all about IP in the attractions.

You'll never see them put an attraction other than maybe shows that's anywhere near the level of what they put in the parks at the resorts. For many reasons. It would have to be a MUCH smaller scale. Like the level of the luau (RIP) or Hoop-De-Doo
I don't really have an issue with IP, others do but not me although I do wish I could see more original type content, I just said putting Moana didn't fit...IMO because of what Moana is. Frozen while people mourn Malestrom at least is still that that part of the country.

But like others say Disney is a tad lazy these days with their creative department. It is what it is. I'd be so on board with Coco replacing the theme on Gran Fiesta.

As for the Poly thing why would it have to be on that scale or level? I don't think it would have to just because of what they ended up doing for Epcot you're comparing that but imagine if they announced it from the beginning, but you couldn't argue against how in theme it would be to have something like that over at Poly with Moana :)

Aesthetically, it looks out of place where it is. That was my thought as I looked right at the other day with the walls down. YMMV.
The walls aren’t down…I had to walk thru a long barricade of walls the other night for the cast preview

EPCOT is introducing new Worlds to explore and we will have to learn to think of World Nature and World Celebration to vist Dreamers Point with Walt Disney statue.
Maybe WDW is introducing a different concept for Character MeetnGreets …because Moana will have a location in her Journey of Water.. It will be interactive and educational , if anybody actually wants to read the signs , or just has fun as they wait for a character.

I don’t know but please guys think about it in different ways Before you make a conclusion.

I don't get it, but aesthetics are subjective, so to each his own. And to be fair I haven't seen it in person yet. It definitely doesn't belong in AK though any more than Epcot IMO. I don't know where that one is coming from. Yeah it's nature themed, but so is a lot of stuff at Epcot. I guess we all have our own ideas what fits where, which is cool

I don't really have an issue with IP, others do but not me although I do wish I could see more original type content, I just said putting Moana didn't fit...IMO because of what Moana is. Frozen while people mourn Malestrom at least is still that that part of the country.

But like others say Disney is a tad lazy these days with their creative department. It is what it is. I'd be so on board with Coco replacing the theme on Gran Fiesta.

As for the Poly thing why would it have to be on that scale or level? I don't think it would have to just because of what they ended up doing for Epcot you're comparing that but imagine if they announced it from the beginning, but you couldn't argue against how in theme it would be to have something like that over at Poly with Moana :)
Heh, no arguing Moana is perfect for Poly, and Aulani too. And yeah Not having anything Coco in Mexico is a travesty haha. Cmon Disney.

If they did at Poly it wouldn't have to be on that scale or level, but if its small scale enough to put at a resort I doubt people would get that fired up about it. Maybe I'm wrong, they are definitely more creative than I am. It wouldn't be something they could put thousands or even hundreds of people through in a day like in a park though so I don't see how it would move the needle much. And I guarantee you many people would be like "Man this is cool but they should have done it bigger and easier to get to like in one of the parks" lol they can't win.

I don't get it, but aesthetics are subjective, so to each his own. And to be fair I haven't seen it in person yet. It definitely doesn't belong in AK though any more than Epcot IMO. I don't know where that one is coming from. Yeah it's nature themed, but so is a lot of stuff at Epcot. I guess we all have our own ideas what fits where, which is cool
Aesthetically it LOOKS like an attraction you would see in AK. That's what I'm saying. Not speaking to the attractions content At all.

I'm excited about the new path. Alway nice to walk through some theming. Shouldn't have taken this long but thats life. I am another one who doesn't get the animal kingdom comments. There are no animals. I'll tell you what does have animals though - the seas, which is near it and even the land with its bio control. I think it fits the position well and I don't feel the need to keep up a vague concrete "theme" when you're out of the futurey bit. There is not a half and half future world vs world showcase in EPCOT and the pavilions on the west side make far more sense no longer trying to shoehorn them into that idea.
I do think there should also be a kick *** Moana ride in adventureland MK though. I ❤️ Moana. (Yes, I did sing that like I am Moana)

Now the question is: have we really debated enough why avatar land is in animal kingdom? There are no real animals there, surely it should be in studios.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter