JoW, not going to waste my time

Well, from most of these comments one thing is for sure. Disney has found a new strategy. Put construction walls up for years and then all you have to do is take them down to make fans happy. Doesn't really matter what went on behind the walls.

Last edited:
Just watched paging mr morrow's video of the water play area and I can now confirm that I will never go in there! It looks cool like a place to sit and relax, eat a snack or whatever but I just keep saying that's a lot of space they could have put a cool ride

I don't see any issue at all with this going in Epcot - I think it fits what the plan was for Epcot - and from what I have heard its actually pretty good.

That said its not going to motivate me to go to Disney any time soon

I had been planning a 2-3 day trip with hopper and really cant justify it at all

Just looks like all the great things that go into creating a new area or "land" for the parks these days... without the new attractions to center the landscaping and effects.

In a way Star Wars Land and Pandora could be cool areas even without the rides (attractions). But in the end that's not what people pay thousands of dollars for. But in the end we only lost the fountain (pretty neat bit of water)... not like they knocked down a building that was doing anything.

I think it's going to be nice to look at as your walking around it..

I don't understand why people keep saying this should go in Animal Kingdom. Moana isn't about animals, so why put it there? I don't see the connection. World Nature seems like a perfect fit to me.
It's a Polynesian theme, to me not the best suited for Epcot.

A Polynesian IP when you have the Poly hotel over at MK is kinda sticking out and having that sort of theme so close to futuristic stuff also sticking out so I'm not even sure a different IP would have worked.

I think people think AK based more on the existing trails they have there plus the lush nature of AK. Even if you change the names of things at Epcot you still have Spaceship Earth and CommuniCore area (which is new name) nearby. It still reads futuristic/space feel and then you've got a walking trail based off of island culture in the south pacific. I don't think Disney has cared about cohesiveness in years.

TBH it actually reminds me a lot of how they did Pandora so it reads even more off now that I think about it.

This pic is from one of the websites
1694640912684.png
Now if you didn't have Spaceship Earth in the background would you think that was Pandora because I would and then I would wonder why am I seeing that here instead of seeing it in AK where I can get more of that theming. Now some people may say well Moana and Avatar....really...but there I could have seen a transition between Pandora to Moana and at least both movies are based off of what can happen to nature and to societies in darker times and both are about becoming more one with nature (Avatar is set in the future and has futuristic things I will point out though).

May not be all that bad walking through it and the pics my DISer friends sent me from at night looked pretty with the lights and all but I can totally understand why it translates to people as out of place in Epcot.

I think people making the point about concrete well yes this is an improvement from that but that doesn't mean it can't also still feel out of place for people.

Well, from most of these comments one thing is for sure. Disney has found a new strategy. Put construction walls up for years and then you all you have to do is take them down to make fans happy. Doesn't really matter what went on behind the walls.

I really feel like the features in this walkway are not enough to actually make it an "attraction". To me it felt like a well-themed walkway. It would have been a great queue for an actual Moana attraction.

Just to show that there is a precedent here, here’s a vid of the Alice in Wonderland walkthrough attraction at DLP. It’s not the only walkthrough attraction there either!

I don't think anyone can argue that JoW isn't absolutely stunning. And for me that's just from the walkthroughs I've watched. I also am excited to experience it in person one day and it's a great area for the little ones for sure. Epcot is better for having it. However..

If you were in charge of parks and were asked to fill that part of Epcot with something, is that what YOU would've come up with?

or

you were shown a rendering of JoW and were told to place it in a park...any park, would this be where YOU would have put it?

I don't think anyone is hating on JoW, the time it took to make...yes...but not the attraction. It's just a little...head scratcher why there. I don't think there's anything wrong with saying that but also going to enjoy the attraction thoroughly. Maybe people who aren't into the old school 1980's Epcot vibe don't feel it's out of place. But you have World Showcase to walk around and enjoy the relaxing atmosphere. I feel like the front of Epcot should be a little less strolling around and a little more action. Just my opinion. Would it feel normal to put a futuristic ride to space in AK? Not really. Sure you can make a case for it. You can make a case for anything. Heck I think Moana would've worked great as a Splash Mountain style ride where you fight Te Ka with the help of Maui using a mix of animatronics and screens and the final plunge is when you finally return the heart of TeFiti and there she is in all her splendor. But that would also take Disney 30 years to build so forget I mentioned it!

Disney missed out on putting a Moana volcano in the middle of the attraction that "erupts," shooting riders on a slingshot over the top of the Epcot ball. A real-live Soarin'!

Perhaps a compromise for critics of the attraction could be Disney creating a special walled-off "Moana bypass" for guests who don't want their park visits tainted by seeing it.

This walled-off lane would preserve the history of the area, which could be how many visitors only know it. I'm sure there are many kids out there whose fondest memory may be taking selfies using the walls as an Instagram background. Who can forget their favorite "pardon our pixie dust" sign. Now they won't have to!

Seriously, all this discussion will end this fall when at 7 p.m. every night, the magical fountains of Moana will switch from water to beer and wine as part of the Refreshment Around The World Festival. For a mere $189.95, you'll be able to walk through as many times as you can until you just can't. Gratuities not included.

I'll be making 14-day deluxe resort reservations just so I can get a shot at a reservation!

Disney missed out on putting a Moana volcano in the middle of the attraction that "erupts," shooting riders on a slingshot over the top of the Epcot ball. A real-live Soarin'!

Perhaps a compromise for critics of the attraction could be Disney creating a special walled-off "Moana bypass" for guests who don't want their park visits tainted by seeing it.

This walled-off lane would preserve the history of the area, which could be how many visitors only know it. I'm sure there are many kids out there whose fondest memory may be taking selfies using the walls as an Instagram background. Who can forget their favorite "pardon our pixie dust" sign. Now they won't have to!

Seriously, all this discussion will end this fall when at 7 p.m. every night, the magical fountains of Moana will switch from water to beer and wine as part of the Refreshment Around The World Festival. For a mere $189.95, you'll be able to walk through as many times as you can until you just can't. Gratuities not included.

I'll be making 14-day deluxe resort reservations just so I can get a shot at a reservation!
I want to laugh but....an eye roll is more appropriate here. It's okay to have thoughts on the attraction much like someone who can't find fault in it so too can someone have critiques on it. Doesn't have to be so extreme here

Just to show that there is a precedent here, here’s a vid of the Alice in Wonderland walkthrough attraction at DLP. It’s not the only walkthrough attraction there either!

My family still laughs about not being able to find our way out of the Alice in Wonderland labyrinth when my spouse was hangry.

I always took it as something akin Gorilla Falls and Maharaja Jungle Trek. At your own pace exploration. To me it fits into Epcot with the exploring nature of World Showcase.

I am looking forward to walking through it. Not everything needs to be an E-ticket experience.
I'm looking forward to seeing how the space has been re-imagined. Like you said it seems more like the treks at AK but it will be a lovely change from the Communicore's brutalist architectural style.

In my opinion Disney parks need more attractions like this, something without a big line to do midday when it's busiest or to take a break from the line ride line ride cycle for a bit. Not everything needs to be a big attraction. There's more to the theme parks than going from ride to ride. If it's not your cup of tea that's fine but I think there is an audience for this type of attraction.
My daughter (who will be age 5 next Epcot trip) is looking forward to it. Epcot is the one park I can have a good day at even on busy days, partly because stuff like this, Kidcot, the aquarium, and other displays.

My kids would love that! They need attractions like this to break up the day. My son (age 7) loves thrill rides, but still enjoys going through the Swiss Family Robinson tree house at MK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter