Journey into our Magical Vacation Final Thoughts

Annie'sMom

Earning My Ears
Final Thoughts

This was our third trip in three years. People have constantly told me that DD is too young and she won’t remember the trips. I beg to differ. She has very vivid memories of our trips. We look at the pictures and look at the video. And even if she doesn’t remember, I will! This trip was our best to date. It will also be the final year that we are able to go off season. DD will start kindergarten next year and I just can’t justify taking her out of school to go on vacation. I don’t mean this as a criticism for people who do that. I just don’t feel right about it. I think it’s important for kids to be in school. We will just have to go early in the summer. Here are some of my final thoughts:

Crowds: I was surprised by how crowded the parks were. Even CMs remarked about how crowded it was. They seemed to think that the parks will continue to get busier in the off season. I tend to agree with that. As people find out how much less crowded it is supposed to be, they will continue to go at this time of the year. Also, lots of kids are taken out of school or are home schooled, so those families can ignore the summers. Also, Disney has done a good job of advertising and attracting couples without kids or even singles. (I know I would relish the opportunity to spend 3-4 days at WDW by myself!) The only advantage I can see to going in the fall or winter is that the temperatures are much more pleasant. We didn’t wait in lines for anything except shows and character greetings. And we didn’t’ wait in any line longer than 30 minutes. I just refuse to stand in long lines and DD doesn’t do waiting in lines very well.

Accommodations: As I mentioned earlier, the Courtyard by Marriott is in need of a little bit of refurbishment. However, because of Freeride, I was able to stay there virtually free. Besides, the Courtyard has the same privileges that staying at a Disney-owned resort, so if you are looking for a cheaper alternative, try the Courtyard. As always, we loved the Contemporary. Last year we stayed in the Towers but this year we stayed in the North Garden Wing. Certainly, the view wasn’t as good, but the Tower rooms are about $50 more per night than the Garden wings. I would stay in the garden wing again in a moment. By the way, I got a MKC rate of around $189/night for our rooms. We love the Contemporary because it’s close to the MK and the rooms are really cool. As long as we spend the majority of our time at the MK, we will stay at the Contemporary; although, I would like to try the Polynesian and (someday) the Grand Floridian.

Transportation: We flew on Southwest Airlines. I know some folks don’t like them, but they work fine for us. I don’t stand in the cattle call line for boarding passes because we get to preboard anyway. The delayed flight to Orlando was frustrating, but it wasn’t Southwest’s fault. The flight back was fine. Plus, when you book over the web, you get double the credit for their frequent flyer program. We rented a car through National and got a nine-day rate for around $160.00. I joined the Emerald Aisle for free (through Bizrate) and it really sped up our departure from the airport. We picked out a car and did the paperwork as we were leaving the garage. I am also satisfied with the customer service I received when I left one of my bags at the airport. WDW transportation was somewhat disappointing. Maybe our timing was bad, but we had relatively long waits for buses, both at the resort and at the parks. I also don’t like sharing buses with other resorts. One would think that the deluxe resorts would each have their own buses. It’s not that big a deal with me and it wouldn’t matter at all if the buses weren’t so scarce. I think next time we will drive to the Studios and the AK. It’s faster, especially when you’re leaving and that sort of thing really matters.

Food: On the whole, I was pleased with the quality of the food we had. We generally only ate one meal a day outside the room. We ate at the following places: Plaza Restaurant, Pinocchio’s Village Haus, Backlot Express, Studio Catering Co, Pasta Piazza and the Sunshine Food Court. We also ate at McDonalds several times and at TGIFridays. Even the fastfood places had good food, and it was always hot. This is an area of improvement from our last trip. I know we didn’t do gourmet or sit down meals, but with a 4-year old, this was the best plan. We also didn’t do any character meals for the second year in a row. Here’s my rationalization: DD is a picky eater and generally doesn’t eat very much. Add characters to that, and she would probably be too excited to eat anything. I just can’t justify spending $8.00 for a meal that she won’t eat. We saw plenty of other characters, so I don’t feel that we missed much. I hope the next trip we can do Cinderella’s for breakfast. DD loves the face characters and is always mesmerized by the castle. We’ll see.

CMs: We were very lucky with the character interactions this trip. As I mentioned in the report, DD got picked to dance with Bear in the Big Blue House and danced with both Minnie and Goofy in the Remember the Magic Parade. DD wore her GOH nametag every day, and I think that makes a difference. All the CMs who could, called her by name. By the way, Leslea gave me a tip for talking to CMs. Use their names when you speak with them. That’s why they wear those nametags. We were happy to be able to spend time with Leslea. It was very neat to go into the MK with her on Tuesday and be with someone who was connected. I’m just sorry DD was such a pain about being with Leslea. I also enjoyed hearing Leslea’s perspective on Disney. She’s a great gal and will be a terrific teacher. The only grouch we ran into was the greeter at the Plaza Restaurant. She was pretty grouchy.

Final, final thoughts:

We won’t be returning to WDW until June of 2002, and I am already starting to suffer from post-trip depression. I have tentatively planned a brief trip to Disneyland in June of 2001. Since the MK is our favorite park, I’m thinking we’ll like Disneyland well. Also, we can take a shorter trip, since it’s only Disneyland (and possibly Disney’s California Adventure). It won’t be the same, but it will hold me until I can get back to WDW. I am also going to investigate buying into DVD. It’s clear to me that we are going to be spending the foreseeable vacations of the future at WDW, and it seems that would be sounder financially to do that. We’ll see.

Thanks for sticking with me to this point. I so enjoy reading others’ trip reports; I thought I needed to do my part. I’ll be hanging around the boards participating vicariously in everyone’s future trips.

Thanks for taking the time to post. I loved the entire report.

Lisa

pooh-pig08.gif

Thanks for the great reports. I read and enjoyed each one.

A a fellow single Mom, I thankyou for sharing all this. Making thoses special memories are defintly worth it, sounds like you have many from this trip! I had to laugh when you mentioned going by yourself for a few days to WDW, because it's my latest fantasy and I'm seriuously considering it! But, how to tell the kiddos and not feel guilty...? Thanks again for sharing all this, it was a pleasure to read! And about the kids on a schedule thing, ditto.

jump.cgi

What a great memory you have made for your daughter!! (people underestimate the memory of a child!) I also thank you for giving us the opertunity to enjoy your trip also!!
Thanks again TNK!!

Thanks to all of you have read my Trip Report and took time to comment. I realized that writing a Trip Report is a considerable bit of work, and it's nice when people take the time to write comments. I will be doing that myself from now on. Thanks!

It's amazing how long it takes to write a report...thanks for sharing yours.

Thank you so much for your report. We are going in 3 weeks and then again in july so reading about your trip gets me so excited. I also wanted to thank you for your comment about not taking kids out of school. I have a almost 4 yr old but because I teach, we can only go in the summer. We still love Disney even though it is crowded and look forward to going each year. I can't tell you how many kids miss school because of trips. I don't think its such a big deal when they are young...I used to have my kids write journals when they were aways so they did learn something. But when the kids get older, you can't replace teacher discussions. So many parents want to have us "catch" then up. They don't realize there isn't time. I don't want to berait the issue..but thank you for thinking of school first. Glad you had such a great time. Also, we finally decided to buy into DVC. It was a great decision..and although hard money wise, is worth every penny! :)

Thanks for your comments. I am a former teacher and principal myself, and I guess that's why I feel so strongly about this. For me, it's not even an issue of missing the work, my daughter is bright and will (hopefully) not struggle with school work. For me, it's the message that going to school is less important than going on a vacation. It would be a different issue if I had no choice about when I could take vacation, but I have ultimate freedom in that choice. So, for me, it's WDW in early June from now on. I guess I'll manage <grin>!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter