Jost Van Dyke Beach Day (TT65)

MickeyMinnieMouse

Mouseketeer
We were looking to do the Jost Van Dyke Beach Day (TT65) excursion before booking our cruise and we called and found out that excursion is sold out. I have been looking at the DIY version but may be a bit stressful as it requires a cab to West End > Ferry > cab to White Bay with the reverse for the return and a must 2pm ferry ride back. Other option is the Jost Van Dyke Beach Transfer (TT14) shorter version of TT65 minus the lunch. So, a couple questions...
1. How often do sold out excursions open back up?
2. Can you get waitlisted for an excursion?
3. Has anyone done the DIY version and felt comfortable witht the travel times?
4. We don't care about lunch, so would Jost Van Dyke Beach Transfer (TT14) be enough time to enjoy White Bay and not feel rushed?
5. How reliable is the ferry?
6. Worst case scenario would a 4pm Ferry back to West End be doable back to by 5pm-ish with 5:45pm departure?
Port time: 7:30am ashore - 5:45pm

We would also strongly consider a charter or other water taxi as long as the price wasn't outrageous (under $500 for 3 ppl). Any recommendations?

Thank you for and info or advice

Last edited:
We just were in Tortola last week and we had a private boat charter that took us there as part of the 7 hour charter. I would say we were an hour going from the cruise port to JVD and and hour back. We also stopped at Sandy Cay for a while as well. I think we were at JVD for less than 4 hours and it was plenty for our family.

We did the shortened version as the longer one with lunch was sold out. I have to say it was kind of quick. It is a beautiful place and I really wanted to stay longer... or forever... Anyway, I was not comfortable with the DIY, or the schedule. Cutting it way too close for me. Another couple we met there took the Disney excursion over and were getting back by their own means. Not sure about that. I would check in with Port Adventures or Guest Services when you board for a waitlist. I also stalked the website before our window closed hoping for a cancellation, but had no luck. It is beautiful there. Best of luck!2B322089-DFC3-4156-BB85-ED8D37A288E9.jpeg

Last edited:
1) Unlike meets and Palo brunch, all the tickets for excursions are made available online. If it is sold out, the only way to get a spot is if someone cancels. It’s luck of the draw.
2) Not to my knowledge. Maybe onboard.

4. We don't care about lunch, so would Jost Van Dyke Beach Transfer (TT14) be enough time to enjoy White Bay and not feel rushed?

We have only done TT65. In my opinion, it was just the right amount of time. Anything shorter would feel too short.

That having been said, the lunch on TT65 was, in our collective opinion, crap. The excursion was still worth the money, though, for the extra beach time.

We did a private catamaran on Tortola, we snorkled, visited Virgin Gorda and Jost Van Dyke and had a wonderful lunch at the Soggy Dollar...anchored just off shore and swam in for lunch..one if the best excursions of the 8 cruises we've been on.

We did a private catamaran on Tortola, we snorkled, visited Virgin Gorda and Jost Van Dyke and had a wonderful lunch at the Soggy Dollar...anchored just off shore and swam in for lunch..one if the best excursions of the 8 cruises we've been on.
Which company did you go with? We're also thinking about TT65 but I'm not really interested in the lunch. All I really want is a stress-free beach day with good food and drinks. Thanks!

We did the shortened version as the longer one with lunch was sold out. I have to say it was kind of quick. It is a beautiful place and I really wanted to stay longer... or forever... Anyway, I was not comfortable with the DIY, or the schedule. Cutting it way too close for me. Another couple we met there took the Disney excursion over and were getting back by their own means. Not sure about that. I would check in with Port Adventures or Guest Services when you board for a waitlist. I also stalked the website before our window closed hoping for a cancellation, but had no luck. It is beautiful there. Best of luck!View attachment 474590
Jost Van Dyke is one of my all time favorite beach spots. Beautiful water, clean white sand, not too crowded and plenty to eat and drink

If you can believe it, I have booked 3 Disney cruises that have been diverted. I've given up on getting there by ship.
I highly recommend that you look into just going to the BVI by booking a charter out of Tortola.
Either a power or sailing catamaran. If you feel comfortable, you can helm it yourself. Otherwise, you can pay for just a Captain, or for real luxury a Captain / Mate combo (my buddy and I, USCG licensed, have done this for others, lol) that will handle everything including cooking.
You'll get to sail right into White Bay and experience why it's named the Soggy Dollar. Not to mention, you can visit a couple other great spots on Jost Van Dyke, get to the Baths without a cruise ship crowd, snorkle at the Dogs, and a visit to the (new) Willie T . Lots more. There's plenty of websites with info on this.

I highly recommend that you look into just going to the BVI by booking a charter out of Tortola.
Either a power or sailing catamaran. If you feel comfortable, you can helm it yourself. Otherwise, you can pay for just a Captain, or for real luxury a Captain / Mate combo (my buddy and I, USCG licensed, have done this for others, lol) that will handle everything including cooking.
You'll get to sail right into White Bay and experience why it's named the Soggy Dollar. Not to mention, you can visit a couple other great spots on Jost Van Dyke, get to the Baths without a cruise ship crowd, snorkle at the Dogs, and a visit to the (new) Willie T . Lots more. There's plenty of websites with info on this.

That is absolutely what we have decided to do and appreciate the suggestion. I was thinking we would do this from St. Thomas, combined with some other islands. But, definitely can't/won't do it ourselves.

That is absolutely what we have decided to do and appreciate the suggestion. I was thinking we would do this from St. Thomas, combined with some other islands. But, definitely can't/won't do it ourselves.
The bulk of the charter operations are out of Roadtown ,Tortola. St. Thomas, being in the USVI rather than BVI, is subject to a LOT of US regulation driving costs through the roof. But it is way more economical to fly to St. Thomas, then ferry to Tortola rather than flying direct to Tortola. At least historically. YMMV in today's world.
Any other questions, feel free to message me ⛵⛵

If you originate in Tortola, you can go straight to Jost Van Dyke............If you originate in St. Thomas, you have to go through customs going to and coming from Jost Van Dyke.

My TA told me today that she would not expect a cancellation for about a month.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter