• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Jobs for pregnant ladies?

Annadesu

Splash Mountain Addict
I am currently 4.5 months pregnant. I work at a University! For the last 5 years, they have had summer work available. Of course, OF COURSE... They stopped doing it this year, so now I have to find something to do for 10-11 weeks during the summer.

Obviously, being pregnant limits my choices. I can't do cleaning, because fairly soon, I'm probably not going to be able to bend over all the way, or use the chemicals. Food service is out, because I can't lift anything... Plus who's gonna' hire me when I look like Chicha from "The Emperor's New Groove"? lol

I also live in a rural area, so there's not a lot of "office" work.

I'm not sure what to do, and I've only got 3.5 weeks until graduation to figure it out. Suggestions?

Is it your intention to return to the University for employment when the Fall semester?

If so, maybe register with a temp agency. While there may not be a lot of office work in your area, over the summer there may be opportunities to fill in on a short term basis while others are on vacation, etc.

Start your own laundry service? Babysit? Dog walk? Work a seasonal farm job (I mean, obviously not in the fields, but as office help or a sorter, have known pregnant women to do both). network with your current employers? Maybe someone needs a nanny or there is another department they can stick you in.

Honestly, I think temp or self employed may be best. My thought is that employers are less likely to hire you as a cashier or something that involves manual labor if they know you are pregnant. And presumably you'll be also going back to the University in the fall, and at least around here, grocery stores or department store won't hire you if they think there's a chance you aren't a long term prospect.

Also...stockers do exist but it's also usually a requirement to lift a certain amount as a cashier. Watermelons, bags of rice, or cat litter. I think you could probably handle it but it's more a matter of whether HR thinks you can handle it.

Good luck!

Honestly, being pregnant isn't your biggest hurdle. Only being available for 10 weeks is. Most employers aren't going to want to bring you on train you only to have you leave in a few weeks.
Yeah. At least here, it is incredibly hard to get a nonseasonal job during the summer. :( and then the seasonal jobs are often not worth the money.

What about relatives? I did a lot of odd jobs for my parents because of the above.

maybe someone needs help with filing things or just teaching things in the home. Sometimes the fairs coming up may certain help that could be easy.

How are your English language/grammar/writing/typing skills? If they're good, you could edit/type papers for summer semester students. Are any of the English professors writing The Great American Novel and need a typist/editor? Do you work at a publish-or-perish university? Maybe some professors are up writing academic articles? I did all of these jobs as a freelancer when I was a SAHM a hundred years ago. You won't get rich at this kind of job, but it'll help, and I found it interesting.

Queen Colleen

Oh wow, thanks everyone! Good suggestions here. And yes, I still have a job. Just not over the summer this year, because the University is cheap and told everyone at the last minutes (I'm not the only one who got screwed, lol). Thank you!

Are there any summer camps near you? Some might need workers to do the non-counselor things or tutoring.

Oh wow, thanks everyone! Good suggestions here. And yes, I still have a job. Just not over the summer this year, because the University is cheap and told everyone at the last minutes (I'm not the only one who got screwed, lol). Thank you!

Would this be considered a furlough? Are you normally a year round employee? You might be eligible for unemployment. You should call and check.

Would this be considered a furlough? Are you normally a year round employee? You might be eligible for unemployment. You should call and check.

This is a good point...when I worked for a university, they had to come up with "special summer tasks" for my department because otherwise they had to pay unemployment and its not like they could just interrupt my benefits. So I'm kind of curious to know what your status is. Student? Classified worker?

My son is starting a job that is a full-time seasonal position and was told that in the off months he can collect unemployment. It's not as much as he will be making, but it's there if he can't find anything else over the winter. You might want to look into that. Although, you may be able to get something that you can make more money.

Why can't you lift anything? When I was pregnant the first time I made the same assumption to my OB. He asked why couldn't I lift anything? Told me I was pregnant, not ill and short of pulling the engine block out of my car I could lift whatever I wanted.

You do realize that many universities, particularly private. are in financial distress and budget cuts are happening all over? Cutting a nonessential summer position may allow them room to keep people during the course of the year. It stinks that you were counting on the employment but it may allow them to keep you or other during the school year and not cut jobs or hours

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter