JHM: DVC is California

zcasper

Earning My Ears
From http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/articles/showarticle.php?ID=1328:

Well, Paul, funny you should ask. If you look carefully, you’ll see the groundwork being laid for the first of several Disney Vacation Club (DVC) resorts in southern California. But before we go into details, perhaps a little history is in order. As you mentioned in your question, there are plenty of DVC options in Florida. In fact, the Disney Vacation Club was for a long time one of the few bright spots on the Walt Disney Company’s balance sheet. Disney loves DVC and the capital it brings in to the company, and they’ve pushed forward full speed ahead building new DVC resorts in Florida where land is not a problem.

From early on the suits at Disney wanted desperately to bring the Disney Vacation Club to California. In fact, Disney at one time actually purchased property in southern California with the intent of turning it into the area’s first DVC resort. The site where the Marriott Newport Coast Villas now stands was once destined to bring the DVC to the west coast. As with a lot of Disney’s plans, however, the property was never developed and was subsequently sold to Marriott, who went on to build the resort almost unchanged from Disney’s original plans.

So what happened (or, to be more cohesive with the title of this column, Why For)? Two things, actually. First, keep in mind that this property is located about 20 miles from Disneyland. The original intent was to make this a “Disneyland optional” destination - one where members could enjoy everything southern California has to offer without necessarily visiting Disneyland. However, market research quickly proved that most vacationers would indeed be using the property for a Disneyland visit. The research further showed that the thought of being shuttled back and forth to Disneyland in traffic was as unappealing to potential DVC members as it was to Disney, who did not want the expense and liability of running a fleet of shuttle buses back and forth.

The real killer of this deal, however, was located clear across the country on the east coast. Disney’s first experiment in DVC locations not adjacent to the theme parks opened in South Carolina, and quickly became a colossal disappointment. Disney’s Hilton Head Resort was the DVC’s first sales disaster. Up to that point, all of the DVC resorts had quickly sold out at a premium price. Hilton Head sold much more slowly, taking Disney by surprise and making them very wary of any further resorts not associated with the theme parks The Newport Beach property was quickly and quietly put up for sale. (Not only that, but properties in Colorado and Virginia intended for DVC resort were sold as well.)

All is not lost, however. Rumblings and rumors have been greatly increasing in frequency regarding DVC activity around the Disneyland Resort. Sales kiosks, similar to the ones found in Florida, will soon be constructed inside Disneyland and Disney’s California Adventure. These sales positions will initially focus on the Florida resorts, but it doesn’t take a huge leap of logic to see where the whole process is heading.

Disney’s ultimate preference would be to include a DVC option for the flagship Disneyland resort, the Grand Californian. Several different plans have been proposed to add a DVC wing or convert existing rooms to accommodate the DVC. However, the high occupancy rate at the Grand Californian and the very limited real estate available for expansion have thus far put the kibosh on those plans. Options are still being considered, however, and this plan is by no means dead.

Most sources now indicate, however, that the most likely location for any Disneyland Resort DVC expansion would be adjacent to the new 3rd park to be built in the recently acquired strawberry fields. While no concrete annoucements have been made for that 3rd Disneyland Resort gate, plans are well underway for the DVC property to be featured as a part of that property. In fact (and remember, you heard it here first), don’t be surprised to see some kind of announcement made during the Disneyland 50th celebration concerning Disney’s plans for bringing the Disney Vacation Club to California.​

Pretty interesting.

Zach

Pretty much confirms what I've mentioned here. I will say Jim is off on the third park talk(IMHO). With DCA(Monsters Inc., area behind TOT & San Fran area) and DL(Behind Thunder Mountain, Subs) due for expansions, I wouldn't expect a third park to begin until the next Decade. Until DCA's attendance reaches 7.5-8.5 MIL, third park talk will just be talk. Even with that, a water park is always a possibility as that third park, and I'm not sure how enjoyable that would be for DVC. GC will be expanded with either 250 hotel rooms or 125 DVC rooms in about 3-4 years(earliest being 2007). Hopefully it will be DVC.

I agree with SoCalKDG, I doubt there will be a major gate built at DL for awhile. I would expect any DVC to initally be an add-on to an existing DL resort and not free standing.

SoCalKDG said:
Even with that, a water park is always a possibility as that third park, and I'm not sure how enjoyable that would be for DVC.

Is the land that Jim references not immediately adjacent to current DL holdings? In other words, if they did build a DVC resort and waterpark on this new piece of land, would they be physically distanced from DL/DCA?

Is the enough room on this new land for a new theme park, hotel space AND a water park? While I agree it sounds too early for a full-fledged theme park, just putting a waterpark there seems like it would be under-utilizing that real estate.

tjkraz said:
Is the land that Jim references not immediately adjacent to current DL holdings? In other words, if they did build a DVC resort and waterpark on this new piece of land, would they be physically distanced from DL/DCA?

There is a piece of land on the east side of Harbor Blvd directly across from DCA that is apparently Disney owned. I have heard the rumor of a third park going in there when I spent a lot of time at Disneyland over the last three years. I've not heard of DVC or water park rumors outside of this board. I think the acreage of the parcel is small compared to other theme parks. It would be within walking distance of all the DL resort areas although more on the edge of the DL Resort as opposed to Grand California's heart of the Resort. They could also build a DVC resort in the parking lot behind DCA and move the lot to this other piece of land (or even a parking garage like they did by DL Hotel). This would allow a DVC entrance into DCA.

I have heard that the reason that parking lot (the Timon lot) behind DCA exists (as opposed to being part of the park) is that the land isn't owned by Disney, but rather they have a long-term lease on it. So naturally they wouldn't want to build much of anything on it. The Disney land is across Harbor from this lot (between Disney Way and Katella).

The land for the "potential" third park is the old strawberry fields which is located (roughly) on the southeast corner of Harbor & Katella. DL & DCA reside on the northwest corner. The amount of land is about 100 acres.
The Timon parking lot behind DCA is Disney owned property.

I would prefer they do a smaller DVC addition to the Grand Californian and utilize the strawberry fields for the third park AND then DVC.

If the strawberry fields are developed, does anyone have any idea how this area will be connected to the rest of the resort? It's a bit of a hike from down there to any of the Disney hotels.

On the topic of the Timon lot, thread drift, I know, but...
Here is my source for the Timon lot being non-Disney owned:
(I know considered by some to not be the most reliable, but I've seen nothing to refute it either)
http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/articles/showarticle.php?ID=1057

Strange but true, folks. The Mouse doesn't actually own all of the old Disneyland parking lot. There are huge patches of this part of the property that the Walt Disney Company only controls through long term leases.

"How much of the old parking lot are we talking about here?," you ask. Well -- to be specific -- there's:

The 16.1 acres that the Walt Disney Company leases from the Mauerhan family. The Mouse has a 99 year lease on this land, an agreement that expires on December 31, 2068. In 1978, Disney was making annual payments of $257,206 to retain control over this part of the parking lot. Allowing for annual cost-of-living adjustments, it's likely that Mickey is paying the Mauerhans $300,000 - $400,000 these days.

The 7.5 acres that the Walt Disney Company leases from the Schlund family. This long term lease is slated to expire on March 31, 2007. Though -- given that Disney has the options to extend this agreement for two additional periods of 20 years each -- it's likely that the Mouse will put off having to find a permanent solution to this problem 'til 2047.

So now you see that there may actually be a reason why certain sections of Disney's California Adventure look like they could be torn down and packed up in just a day. That may actually be the case, folks. Given that the Mouse doesn't actually own the land that pieces of this theme park are built on.

Though -- to be fair -- I guess I should point out that, based on what Disneyland insiders have told me, most of this leased property is actually out in the Timon parking lot. Of course, the downside of this situation is: This long term lease situation may prevent DCA from expanding much beyond its current footprint. Which -- given that Disney's California Adventure is a theme park that is already severely wanting when it comes to rides & attractions -- doesn't exactly bode well for DCA's future.

I would suspect that Disney would use some type of shuttle bus service to get people to the third park site. They COULD redo the monorail but, probably too cheap to do that.
I wish the whole Gardenwalk venture would collapse and Disney could get their hands on that nice piece of land too.

As for the parking lot, later on that site, someone made mention that the parcels of land had been transferred to Disney back in 1998.

I seem to remember there being some musty old California time share law that prohibited timeshare like DVC.IE: Limited time ownership. Unless that has changed or DVC changes its format I dont see any DVC resort in CA. in the near future.

Steve

fireplug said:
I seem to remember there being some musty old California time share law that prohibited timeshare like DVC.IE: Limited time ownership. Unless that has changed or DVC changes its format I dont see any DVC resort in CA. in the near future.

Steve
I think this was a rumor started by people trying to figure out why DVC put a stop to the Newport development. I've never heard it from any official source.

Dean said:
I think this was a rumor started by people trying to figure out why DVC put a stop to the Newport development. I've never heard it from any official source.
That's what I thought too, Dean.

dianeschlicht said:
That's what I thought too, Dean.
I think some people just had trouble believing that DVC HH and VB didn't sell well and were searching for other explanations.

don't know how this thread started (just noticed it at the bottem of another post i was doing) but i'll put in my 2 cents.

As far as California having a law against limited time shares-I don't think so. We went to several presentations for california time shares limited to 30 years prior to joining dvc. I also get at least 2 or 3 offers a month from different ones trying to get us to come to a presentation.

I would LOVE a California DVC property or even some more trade out offerings. They recently stopped the trade out to the Claremont in Berkely which my husband and I used for a couple of nights as a getaway, so the only offerings up here in Northern Ca are 2 San Francisco hotels. West Coasters would be so much more willing to buy in if there were offerings that did'nt entail major airfare charges (not to mention the down time that flights eat up from your vacation). Another item DVC could consider offering is a California resident's passport that would afford the discount on admissions that the Floridians get at WDW (currently there is only an offering to Southern California residents). If I could get a good break on admission it would be a greater enticement to schedual several small trips per year to the Disney Land resorts-they would definatly profit what with the lack of competition for us to go to other southern california theme parks (knotts berry farm is fine-once or twice, and universal is a long drive plus it's offerings are slim for the younger kids who don't go in for the roller coaster stuff).

Anyway-we need a DVC in California-they need to do something with the old Disneyland Hotel-it looks sad sitting there with it's 2 younger and more attractive sister resorts, but as long as property prices continue to skyrocket I don't anticipate it.

This makes sense to me. Some of you may recall that we met a "high-up" individual in DVC (this was Aug 2004) that told us don't be surprised to see a new DVC development in the near future and that it would be announced within the next year. This person also told me there would be a big perk...which I now know as the AP perk.

This would be great. I have LOTS of family in the OC and Southern Cal.
:cool1:

We returned from DL 2 weeks ago. A CM at a DVC kiosk told us they were putting in DVC and it would be connected to the GC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter