Jekyll Island

mmbrad02

DIS Veteran
We have a family vacation approaching in June for Jekyll Island. My family of 3 has never been there before - there are 13 of us total - 8 adults and 5 kids ranging from 7 to 14. Any must do's while we are there? Must eats?

We are definitely looking at Driftwood Beach, and a historic trolley tour has been suggested.

Any tidbits/helpful information is welcome! The only thing definitely set is our rental, which is a house on the beach (vrbo).

DH and I are planning on going to Jekyll Island in October, so I hope to also get some tips/information here! Also planning on checking out Savannah, as I think that's where we'll be flying into.

We have a family vacation approaching in June for Jekyll Island. My family of 3 has never been there before - there are 13 of us total - 8 adults and 5 kids ranging from 7 to 14. Any must do's while we are there? Must eats?

We are definitely looking at Driftwood Beach, and a historic trolley tour has been suggested.

Any tidbits/helpful information is welcome! The only thing definitely set is our rental, which is a house on the beach (vrbo).
I live within 30 minutes of here. Shark tooth beach on the north end of the island is interesting. Any of the Seafood restaurants are good. Millionaire's village is interesting to tour and they have some neat shops. They have a paved Bike Path that goes all the way around the Island and is very neat. Summer waves is a waterpark located on the island it is fun. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

Following along because I’ve also been eyeing Jekyll Island but have never been previously…

I live within 30 minutes of here. Shark tooth beach on the north end of the island is interesting. Any of the Seafood restaurants are good. Millionaire's village is interesting to tour and they have some neat shops. They have a paved Bike Path that goes all the way around the Island and is very neat. Summer waves is a waterpark located on the island it is fun. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

Do you know anything about the following restaurants:

The Wharf
Iguanas (St Simons Island)
Crab Daddys (also St Simons I think)
Tortuga Jacks

Those are some we have found/have been mentioned to us.

Are there bike rental places?

I'll be happy to report back more details after our trip :)

DH and I are planning on going to Jekyll Island in October, so I hope to also get some tips/information here! Also planning on checking out Savannah, as I think that's where we'll be flying into.

Following along because I’ve also been eyeing Jekyll Island but have never been previously…

The Wharf
Tortuga Jacks

Iguanas is good. I have heard good things are Tortuga's jack. There are bike rentals. If you want really good seafood I recommend these two place in Darien. It might be a slightly longer drive, but great food.
https://www.skippersfishcamp.com/ RIght on the Marsh as well
https://www.bandjssteaksandseafood.com/ A bit of a hole in the wall(but where the locals go for seafood, On a lot of those 100/1000 places to eat before you die lists.)

The Wharf
Tortuga Jacks

There are bike rentals all over the place. When we were there it was very rainy so we didn’t get to try the bikes. The paths look nice though.

We ate at tortuga jacks on Jekyll island and it was good. Also ate at Caroline’s on St. Simons. Also good. On St. Simons, look for the tree spirits. I actually like St. Simons better but we stayed on Jekyll island. There is a historic area where you can look at old restored houses and buildings. Some have shops inside. There is a state park.

OP, my son did an internship in Brunswick, so I visited the area for 2 short trips. One trip I stayed at the holiday inn on Jekyll island. It was in March and the weather wasn’t very nice. It was actually better in January. So you should be able to take advantage of more of the activities on your trip.

My son did mention going with a group to Derain for seafood as recommended by his crew leader. I believe it was the B and J place. So I think that might be a win for you. He also recommended iguanas. One thing is for sure, you will get plenty shrimp!

Jekyll Island is one of my go to places for a long weekend get away, I live in Georgia. I always stay at the Club and rarely actually leave the club grounds. They do have trolley tours of the grounds and in the past (who knows now) you were able to go inside one or two of the houses. I'm not sure at the age your kids are if they would enjoy that tour, my son always loved it but he has always been a history nerd. There are a couple of good restaurants there at the club but they aren't cheap. Hubby and I stayed at a hotel right on the beach for a long weekend years ago and did take the trolley from the hotel to the Club and walked around, we had our little yorkie with us so there wasn't much we could do with her.

They play croquet on the lawn of the Club most mornings.
J9Pue1z18fRidVKhKHlm44SRmjjgKn0z-5nCkc9Ac0GtpslroRFpYISoDHCbd6RmPgQrv4b6DwOZwMzIsS0wOfn_cdZEOD3CYngiuRuIov94HteDxyc57k0vLPp0GWoIzgNJ3bxez3U1d9SCl73B4fGylcChu_0SIMBMPOEIbFKe8vV2fLwNCtUrKf6Dk7bkNv_wWo6J195UkuGtVoA1Qg9IFkSlOjfjnl-7CPGK_wn8KVAb1AkEOmgrs9etliBL_sn7Jre-sX-_xwaAYxrmzlYY5HIAvKspVAFTeLUTKdCDy00Q63q158JZ4PvjIr_ri64Qjs3UPn7evF5wRk3wMt88mVmic82AV69I1bV80EzaVG3-I9mwvPyXj2x9AnF7-Q1Tdf7CHXmnfTGq2KZ4x5xw6nse6vaO0MDkuCCMTLbmMfU_MZ-2xuu_TL6mpltfNoraADdScHxOAqoHU-rh5_s7vrs7Hv1BDPXqeKez1gqQzHdSEd2olHsQG0jtVdOqn5ayIjRAJ7Ajzz_MSdQ2ZGnLNN5Hcrf8iSGZXEf6Qy_2QRz57KUdjf5PCsd554EcPtT2_cKpBpRaZuDVAbYZusJivq9wOqp8RUiJUp08PWIJtERDAySxWJWNDSgbkyPZIo8a9B5h-NPbsl0GkHM_en6E_Uwu5SgmBoMI47pCEdCpftWmQ5R0sovO_loZeNtiAxKn9PHlc6Wj-MJucIIJWGzbl5NQpnBTW0xOSBcHXubAoRlWpdmbJrazHKwSc78ZaIagBxoUEJy2bbnBPOyQstyFXC-SPyT7i6uFiFBGhhHQ6wwFKxW9sY8-yyKKTjsueaWlFInZjLjqfwZtHzx-xAPNNoiBZK3aHsUWp_qOSq1UebbIMn7u9iAhj7r3vaP4bQ3vbgjBJT8MfsDqEYOKBFEDJyQ5EEoSQbiw7Rq2y2nmM16t=w1154-h866-s-no

We just returned from our trip and here are my take aways: (These are truly just my thoughts, your opinions may vary :) )

1) The high tide situation was weird for us. I've never been to a beach where the tide completely covers the beach to the point you can't even stand on it. This was how the beach was at the access closest to our rental. We adapted but it was a bit shocking at arrival to walk out and there literally be no beach.

2) Maybe it was the weather, or perhaps just the way it is, but I didn't find the ocean in Jekyll Island to be a very pretty one. But my last day at the beach prior to this was at Castaway Cay so...

3) We LOVED how quaint the area is, how laid back and easy everything felt, how easy it was to get 13 people seated for a meal at a restaurant. Those things couldn't be beat!

4) Southern hospitality at its best. Everyone was so so so friendly!

For the specifics, we ate at:

1. Eighty Ocean Kitchen and Bar - This was a negative for us. It was too expensive for what it was and most of our group didn't love their meal. That said, my SIL chose this one and I had a feeling that might be the case from the menu but she was convinced otherwise.

2. The Wharf - LOVED this one. We were able to make reservations here and were seated immediately. Our meals were good as well.

3. Iguanas at St Simons - Again, this was well received. Of course a free ice cream bar goes a long way right :)

4. Tortuga Jacks - I really liked my meal here and others really enjoyed their adult beverages too. I would have returned again but the opportunity didn't exist.

5. The Beach House - This one was pretty much a loss for everyone. Food was just average at best. Luckily it was also the least expensive meal of the week. I liked the atmosphere but that's about all I could say about that one.

6. Sunset Bar and Grille - Pretty good, but I had chicken tenders so I'm not sure I'm truly the one to give a review - haha. My DD begged for dessert for the last day of vacation and the key lime pie was phenomenal!

7. I forgot to list it first but the first night, before we were a party of 13 and just a party of 9, we ate at Zackry's Riverhouse. I got chicken tenders here, again, and these were truly the best chicken tenders I have ever eaten. I think most in our party loved their meal here . My only complaint was were were seated inside and it was very stuffy and warm.

For activities, we...

1) My DH and I took a 5 mile bike ride (our rental had 4 bikes) to Driftwood beach. The bike paths on the island are awesome and we truly planned to take more rides but ran out of time.

2. Driftwood beach - AMAZING! I would have gone more often but no one else seemed as captivated as me :) We saw it 2-3 times during the week though.

3. St Andrews Beach - Loved the rope swing, just disliked the bugs. We also found a lot of neat shells on this beach but didn't get to keep any of them because they were still inhabited. I had never seen so many in one spot though and enjoyed that. My inlaws got to see a nice pack of dolphins (maybe not the correct term?) at this beach also,

4. Mini Golf - We did this one morning and while it was hot, it was a lot of fun as a group. The connecting park is also very nice for little ones!

5. Historic trolley tour - LOVED this. My DD is 12 and kept talking about how much she loved history. Its fascinating to hear the history of the rich and famous. We got to go inside one house on this tour also.

6. Part of that tour includes the Mosaic museum which was a total surprise for us in terms of how enjoyable that was. The kids loved the hands on things and the adults loved watching them and also the history info.

7. We booked a Dolphin cruise but it was canceled due to weather (we unfortunately booked it the last full day, which turned into a full day of rain and storms)

8. The Turtle Center was a lot of fun. We got to see one of the turtles being fed and also caught the hands on portion at a slightly less busy time and my DD loved those exhibits. I thought she might be a little old but she actually had learned a lot of it in science this year so she liked it a lot.

9. We checked out the Horton House ruins and the Horton Pond. Loved seeing the gators and turtles at the pond!

10. The Lighthouse at St Simons - this was my family of 3's first time to climb a lighthouse. Super neat, super pretty, loved the views.

11. We attempted to see some of the tree spirits at St Simons but were there in the afternoon HEAT and we wore down fast. We saw 2 and they were cool but my group opted not to continue looking for them (we were doing it on foot)

Overall we found that rather than a "beach vacation" we enjoyed Jekyll Island for more exploring than anything :)

We just returned from our trip and here are my take aways: (These are truly just my thoughts, your opinions may vary :) )

1) The high tide situation was weird for us. I've never been to a beach where the tide completely covers the beach to the point you can't even stand on it. This was how the beach was at the access closest to our rental. We adapted but it was a bit shocking at arrival to walk out and there literally be no beach.

2) Maybe it was the weather, or perhaps just the way it is, but I didn't find the ocean in Jekyll Island to be a very pretty one. But my last day at the beach prior to this was at Castaway Cay so...

3) We LOVED how quaint the area is, how laid back and easy everything felt, how easy it was to get 13 people seated for a meal at a restaurant. Those things couldn't be beat!

4) Southern hospitality at its best. Everyone was so so so friendly!

For the specifics, we ate at:

1. Eighty Ocean Kitchen and Bar - This was a negative for us. It was too expensive for what it was and most of our group didn't love their meal. That said, my SIL chose this one and I had a feeling that might be the case from the menu but she was convinced otherwise.

2. The Wharf - LOVED this one. We were able to make reservations here and were seated immediately. Our meals were good as well.

3. Iguanas at St Simons - Again, this was well received. Of course a free ice cream bar goes a long way right :)

4. Tortuga Jacks - I really liked my meal here and others really enjoyed their adult beverages too. I would have returned again but the opportunity didn't exist.

5. The Beach House - This one was pretty much a loss for everyone. Food was just average at best. Luckily it was also the least expensive meal of the week. I liked the atmosphere but that's about all I could say about that one.

6. Sunset Bar and Grille - Pretty good, but I had chicken tenders so I'm not sure I'm truly the one to give a review - haha. My DD begged for dessert for the last day of vacation and the key lime pie was phenomenal!

7. I forgot to list it first but the first night, before we were a party of 13 and just a party of 9, we ate at Zackry's Riverhouse. I got chicken tenders here, again, and these were truly the best chicken tenders I have ever eaten. I think most in our party loved their meal here . My only complaint was were were seated inside and it was very stuffy and warm.

For activities, we...

1) My DH and I took a 5 mile bike ride (our rental had 4 bikes) to Driftwood beach. The bike paths on the island are awesome and we truly planned to take more rides but ran out of time.

2. Driftwood beach - AMAZING! I would have gone more often but no one else seemed as captivated as me :) We saw it 2-3 times during the week though.

3. St Andrews Beach - Loved the rope swing, just disliked the bugs. We also found a lot of neat shells on this beach but didn't get to keep any of them because they were still inhabited. I had never seen so many in one spot though and enjoyed that. My inlaws got to see a nice pack of dolphins (maybe not the correct term?) at this beach also,

4. Mini Golf - We did this one morning and while it was hot, it was a lot of fun as a group. The connecting park is also very nice for little ones!

5. Historic trolley tour - LOVED this. My DD is 12 and kept talking about how much she loved history. Its fascinating to hear the history of the rich and famous. We got to go inside one house on this tour also.

6. Part of that tour includes the Mosaic museum which was a total surprise for us in terms of how enjoyable that was. The kids loved the hands on things and the adults loved watching them and also the history info.

7. We booked a Dolphin cruise but it was canceled due to weather (we unfortunately booked it the last full day, which turned into a full day of rain and storms)

8. The Turtle Center was a lot of fun. We got to see one of the turtles being fed and also caught the hands on portion at a slightly less busy time and my DD loved those exhibits. I thought she might be a little old but she actually had learned a lot of it in science this year so she liked it a lot.

9. We checked out the Horton House ruins and the Horton Pond. Loved seeing the gators and turtles at the pond!

10. The Lighthouse at St Simons - this was my family of 3's first time to climb a lighthouse. Super neat, super pretty, loved the views.

11. We attempted to see some of the tree spirits at St Simons but were there in the afternoon HEAT and we wore down fast. We saw 2 and they were cool but my group opted not to continue looking for them (we were doing it on foot)

Overall we found that rather than a "beach vacation" we enjoyed Jekyll Island for more exploring than anything :)
The beach house restaurant is nothing to write home about. We ate there a couple times because we stayed at the holiday inn adjacent to it. I don’t think I would go out of my way to eat there.

I have a friend that takes a big family vacation to Jekyll Island every year and she has also mentioned the water in the ocean not being very pretty. She said it even looks brown at times. But there are so many other things she enjoys ni guess it's worth it to her!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter