• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Jeep "pauses" Super Bowl commercial use after Springsteen DUI arrest revealed

Nothing serious will happen to him. The NPS is severely allergic to controversy. This will be quietly resolved.
I'm guessing he'll be able to just show up in court and pay a small fine. However, at this point isn't it really up to federal prosecutors to determine what to do?

Another blowhard celebrity that doesn’t make a difference in my day to day life. Shocking that the arrest wasn’t made public before the BS add he made for the SB!!!!

I'm guessing he'll be able to just show up in court and pay a small fine. However, at this point isn't it really up to federal prosecutors to determine what to do?
Technically yes, but if the park says to let it go they have much more important cases on the docket. And NPS is beyond timid...WAY beyond.

I think Jeep jumped the gun. See how the court case (if there even is one) ends. Does having him narrate the spot mean Jeep condones DUI (regardless of whether he's convicted)? IMO, no. I think many companies have a knee jerk reaction to things like this.
Won't be a problem. Jeep will be fine, so will Bruce.

Let's see. Jeep cancels Bruce's ad (which was a dud add to begin with) because he had a shot but was not drunk and harmed nobody.

Meanwhile, the NFL continues to promote and place on a pedestal players who have done significant harm to women in one way or another.

hmmmm. our culture is messed up. severely messed up.

OK? Don't think I said this would be the end of the company (or of Bruce). Am I not allowed to think they made the wrong decision?
You are absolutely entitled to your opinion. And I didn't mean to imply otherwise.
Basically, my take is the demographic that appreciates Jeep and Bruce aren't pearl clutchers. They will look, see there is little for controversy and move on.

....because of the nude beach? popcorn::

This is how they cite the reasons why. No smoking on the beach either.

News Release Date: April 2, 2019​
Highlands, N.J. -- A man fell four feet off a loading dock because he thought it was a short cut between the snack area and the bathroom. A motor vehicle accident resulted in the injury of all four occupants, two of whom had to be medevacked to the hospital. Another man passed out in the sand with waves breaking over his head. These were three of the 328 alcohol related incidents at the Sandy Hook Unit between 2016 and 2018.​
“Sandy Hook has become a party beach,” said Chief Ranger Greg Norman. “People don’t come here for a beer, they come here for a six pack.”​
Alcoholic beverages at the Sandy Hook Unit are now prohibited. This restriction will not affect visitors having weddings at the Sandy Hook Chapel or other permit holders. Smoking is also prohibited on beaches at Sandy Hook. Designated smoking areas are in all parking lots.​
These changes will also make the rules at Sandy Hook beaches consistent with other public beaches in New Jersey.​
“Alcohol consumption in combination with summer heat and water-based activities can present a deadly situation for visitors,” said Gateway Superintendent Jen Nersesian. “The safety of our visitors is our number one priority, and we feel this change will help promote this.”​

Technically yes, but if the park says to let it go they have much more important cases on the docket. And NPS is beyond timid...WAY beyond.

I don't know what the rules are in federal court. I've talked to some friends about how it works. California Highway Patrol officers are paid to go to court for traffic violations. A lot of city police around here aren't paid when they're in court as witnesses to traffic violations. I've gotten one traffic ticket in my life and I just showed up in traffic court and it was dismissed because the officer didn't show.

Not sure what NPS would do. I've also heard conflicting stories about whether or not it was an LE ranger or USPP making the arrest, although I don't think USPP patrols the New Jersey portions of Gateway.

I was reading a journalist perspective in local newspaper. The thought was that it was a setup, and that the rangers recognized him and concluded that a celebrity bust could draw some attention.

Last edited:
Is it a bad thing for a business to just cut ties to anything they believe could bring negative attention? A business is in it to make money. If a situation doesn’t help towards that cause, then they’ll look elsewhere. I’m sure everyone here would take actions that is for their bottom (and top) line at the end of the day. It’s easier for us to be arguing across 1’s and 0’s (the internet).

I was reading a journalist perspective in local newspaper. The thought was that it was a setup, and that the rangers recognized him and concluded that a celebrity bust could draw some attention.
That sounds like a comment from a reporter who knows absolutely nothing about the park service, and nothing about NPS law enforcement in particular.

We used to joke that the NPS motto was, "Make no waves," and there is a lot of truth to that. There is probably no way quicker to get negative attention from management than for an LE ranger to take some enforcement action that draws public attention. "Warn politely and dismiss" is a way of life in the NPS.

A more likely explanation -- if reports of Springsteen doing shots with visitors right in plain view of the LE rangers are true -- is that they felt they had no choice but to take action. In other words, he was daring them to do something.

Is it a bad thing for a business to just cut ties to anything they believe could bring negative attention? A business is in it to make money. If a situation doesn’t help towards that cause, then they’ll look elsewhere. I’m sure everyone here would take actions that is for their bottom (and top) line at the end of the day. It’s easier for us to be arguing across 1’s and 0’s (the internet).
Regardless of what anything thinks of his politics or talent, Bruce Springsteen is hardly a polarizing figure. That was the whole point of the Jeep commercial - that he could bridge divides.

That sounds like a comment from a reporter who knows absolutely nothing about the park service, and nothing about NPS law enforcement in particular.

We used to joke that the NPS motto was, "Make no waves," and there is a lot of truth to that. There is probably no way quicker to get negative attention from management than for an LE ranger to take some enforcement action that draws public attention. "Warn politely and dismiss" is a way of life in the NPS.

A more likely explanation -- if reports of Springsteen doing shots with visitors right in plain view of the LE rangers are true -- is that they felt they had no choice but to take action. In other words, he was daring them to do something.

I found one article from Patch where they got the reports and verified who arrested him. I think it really depends. LE rangers wear the same uniform and are still considered the friendly face of NPS and not enforcers. I've heard that they have more resource protection duties, even in places where their jurisdiction overlaps with US Park Police. I found it interesting that there was confusion over who actually arrested him. The USPP union wanted to make it clear that they weren't the ones responsible. My west coast experience is that they weren't necessarily jerks about anything. There was this big event at the Presidio of San Francisco, and unless we were actually blocking traffic or a fire hydrant, USPP didn't even seem to care that we were parked at red curbs.

Sources told The New York Post that the incident happened when Springsteen made contact with fans. "Bruce stopped, took the pictures, then a fan offered him a shot of liquor, which he took while sitting on his bike, which was stationary .... park police saw what happened and they immediately pulled Springsteen over as he drove away."​
*********​
In a statement forwarded to Patch, Chairman of the United States Park Police Fraternal Order of Police Kenneth Spencer clarified that the arrest was made by National Park Service park rangers. "The United States Park Police was not involved in any way," Spencer said.​

I've talked to police about the spirit of the law. We had block parties during National Night Out and our Chief of Police came to our neighborhood. Our tables were set up on the street and there was clearly beer and wine being consumed. At another even I specifically asked his successor what the deal was with alcohol and block parties. He flat out said that it's illegal. But they looked at the spirit of the law and wouldn't normally enforce unless there was a problem such as rowdy behavior.

I'm not sure what was the situation with Sandy Hook that they decided to ban alcohol altogether. Around here it's well known that NPS areas are where one goes to consume alcohol when it's not allowed at a city park. I was walking around with a Corona in front of the Walt Disney Family Museum and nobody cared. However, various superintendents have banned alcohol at places where there's been a lot of trouble such as Ocean Beach or other areas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter