• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Jeep "pauses" Super Bowl commercial use after Springsteen DUI arrest revealed

JimMIA

There's more to life than mice...
Jeep has stopped showing their Super Bowl commercial following the announcement that Bruce Springsteen was arrested for DUI in a NJ national park in November. Prior to that arrest, Springsteen had always been admired for avoiding alcohol and drugs in an industry where problems are rampant.

The part of this I don't understand is why the National Park Service felt obliged to announce the arrest 3 months later.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/10/jee...ingsteen-after-musicians-dwi-goes-public.html

Last edited:
This is local to me and my daughter went to high school in that park. Scary and disappointing.

Jeep has stopped showing their Super Bowl commercial following the announcement that Bruce Springsteen was arrested for DUI in a NJ national park in November. Prior to that arrest, Springsteen had always been admired for avoiding alcohol and drugs in an industry where problems are rampant.

The part of this I don't understand is why the National Park Service felt obliged to announce the arrest 3 months later.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/10/jee...ingsteen-after-musicians-dwi-goes-public.html
The first thing I said to my DH when I saw a headline was, “That’s crazy Bruce Springsteen doesn’t use drugs and alcohol.”

It sounds like he had a drink and was nowhere near the limit. And yeah, why is this brought up now? To what end?

The first thing I said to my DH when I saw a headline was, “That’s crazy Bruce Springsteen doesn’t use drugs and alcohol.”

It sounds like he had a drink and was nowhere near the limit. And yeah, why is this brought up now? To what end?

I have the feeling it wasn't recently announced by the National Park Service. There's been no word on how his arrest became public. Not sure about what kind of arrest reports that Gateway issues. Could have been leaked or just someone saw his name and tipped off a reporter.

I did find it interesting that they had a specific division of policing responsibilities there. US Park Police handle the New York City side while NPS LE rangers handle the New Jersey side. Not quite like I remember at Golden Gate NRA, where LE rangers and USPP patrol many of the same areas. Also - it's specifically against park regs to consume alcohol or have an open container on the New Jersey side. So they probably got him for that regardless of whether or not the DWI or reckless driving sticks.

Not even sure he should have been arrested for such a low limit. Sad all the way around, seems kind of strange the whole thing, coming up now, etc etc. Maybe it was a biased arrest or just seems off some how.

I have the feeling it wasn't recently announced by the National Park Service. There's been no word on how his arrest became public. Not sure about what kind of arrest reports that Gateway issues. Could have been leaked or just someone saw his name and tipped off a reporter.
From the linked story:

"The arrest was first reported Wednesday by TMZ and was confirmed in a statement from the U.S. Department of the Interior. Springsteen was accused of driving while intoxicated, reckless driving and consuming alcohol in a closed area."

I would imagine the ad agency that made this commercial will never work for Jeep again. There has been public scrutiny on multiple fronts. First the concept and messaging was just off the mark and kind of depressing. I know a lot of companies wanted to make sure the tone of their ad wasn't offensive with all that has been going on in the last year, but this ad was a serious miscalculation. I think this has been the general consensus. Than they cast a pretty outspoken liberal to star. Lots of people are furious about this. I'm left-leaning and even I think it was a confusing choice. Lastly, the left the Upper Peninsula of Michigan off the map, which is pretty lame, given the North American headquarters are in Michigan. And now the star of the commercial got picked up for a DUI the same week. Talk about a disaster!

Just saw this which makes me feel a little better. Not sure if he was charged because the park rules are no alcohol. https://www.usatoday.com/story/ente...drunken-driving-charge-new-jersey/6704466002/ Hope the .02 is accurate.

At 1/4 at the .02 (not .08) limit seems like that would fall into a calibration error window. I don't see this sticking as related to the driving charge(s). And then, the subsequent charges would likely had not occurred if the driving charge wasn't the predecessor.

It is being brought up now because the information was only just made public this week.

I would imagine the ad agency that made this commercial will never work for Jeep again. There has been public scrutiny on multiple fronts. First the concept and messaging was just off the mark and kind of depressing. I know a lot of companies wanted to make sure the tone of their ad wasn't offensive with all that has been going on in the last year, but this ad was a serious miscalculation. I think this has been the general consensus. Than they cast a pretty outspoken liberal to star. Lots of people are furious about this. I'm left-leaning and even I think it was a confusing choice. Lastly, the left the Upper Peninsula of Michigan off the map, which is pretty lame, given the North American headquarters are in Michigan. And now the star of the commercial got picked up for a DUI the same week. Talk about a disaster!
Really? .02 is a DUI?? Basically looks like harassment to me.
I thought the ad was impressive, I often see beauty in the mid-west landscape. It was nice to see it featured.

If as is being reported he really blew 0.02, I expect the charges will be dropped fairly soon.

Last edited:
If as is being reported he really blew 0.02, I expect thd charges will be dropped fairly soon.
Maybe DWI might be dropped. However, alcohol isn’t allowed at all at Sandy Hook. They can still get him for that regardless of whether or not he was impaired.

From the linked story:

"The arrest was first reported Wednesday by TMZ and was confirmed in a statement from the U.S. Department of the Interior. Springsteen was accused of driving while intoxicated, reckless driving and consuming alcohol in a closed area."

I get that NPS confirmed when asked.

The question is about how it got to any point where it became public. Someone in law enforcement probably leaked the information about his arrest.

OK, but there's an absolutely huge difference between drinking a shot of alcohol in a state park and getting a DUI.
It’s a federal park.

Not sure what the potential penalties would be. It would also specifically be a federal offense and not a state offense charged in a federal court by federal prosecutors. There is a federal regulation that allows designation of areas where alcohol is prohibited. It's also specifically against their rules to have opened alcohol on a roadway or parking area anywhere in Gateway.

I haven't been to Gateway, but I'm quite familiar with Golden Gate National Recreation Area. There are some areas where alcohol has been banned. However, there are a ton of areas where it hasn't. There's the Great Meadow at Fort Mason. They allow alcohol but apparently not kegs.

Not sure what the potential penalties would be. It would also specifically be a federal offense and not a state offense charged in a federal court by federal prosecutors. There is a federal regulation that allows designation of areas where alcohol is prohibited. It's also specifically against their rules to have opened alcohol on a roadway or parking area anywhere in Gateway.
Nothing serious will happen to him. The NPS is severely allergic to controversy. This will be quietly resolved.

I think Jeep jumped the gun. See how the court case (if there even is one) ends. Does having him narrate the spot mean Jeep condones DUI (regardless of whether he's convicted)? IMO, no. I think many companies have a knee jerk reaction to things like this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter