• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Jedi Training and nonverbal child

ladyjubilee

Mouseketeer
Has anyone tried to have a nonverbal child participate? Of so how did yhey sign up (respond to questions) and how did it work?

I've never signed a child up, so can't answer that part, but good friends with a small child did participate last fall and I've watched the training multiple times.

From what my friend's parents told me, the important things emphasized in the sign up were that the child could understand and follow directions and that the child would be comfortable being away from parents.

What I've seen in the trying is that kids need to be able to follow directions, in terms of going where they are told to go when they are told to go there and to follow certain movements of the light saber or their body. Non-verbal kids should be fine to participate as long as they can do those things.

You can watch YouTube videos of the Jedi training to get a general idea of what to expect. Each show will be a little different, but they follow the same pattern.

They ask the child questions at signup to ensure that they are the right age and they will be able to participate in the onstage show without their parents being present. As long as you can show the CM that your child will be able to participate and follow directions, they do not need to speak during the show. Can the child make any answer to the CM's questions (nodding, shaking head, that kind of thing)? If they think the child won't be able to follow the instructions they may not allow participation.

He might respond, but I'm not sure others would understand. We are practicing holding up his fingers in answer to How old are you and his version of yes in response to will you listen.

Truthfully , I'm not sure if he can do it.... but he has surprised me many times. I'm torn. He would love it, but even if they did allow him to participate, it could go horribly wrong.

You don't make it clear - can he follow instructions?

If it is iffy that he will be able to understand and follow instructions then I would skip it. He will have to "perform" in front of lots of people against an intimidating character. That could give anyone stage fright.

Is Star Wars an area of hyper focus for him? Non-verbal should be ok as long as he'll participate and follow the rules and instructions.

My son has selective mutism and has participated twice. I may have mentioned it when signing him up??? It wasn't an issue at all and he loved it!

Has he ever seen Jedi Training and expressed an interest in doing it? Perhaps you could sign him up for a session that's later in the day. Then take him to watch an earlier session so he can get a feel for what he would need to do. If you don't think he'll be comfortable, then just skip it. If he indicates that he wants to try it, there will be a spot for him.

You don't make it clear - can he follow instructions?

If it is iffy that he will be able to understand and follow instructions then I would skip it. He will have to "perform" in front of lots of people against an intimidating character. That could give anyone stage fright.

I don't think stage fright would be an issue so much as understanding. If it is an 'on' day he would be able to, but not on an off day. No sooner than I think he can't do something and he surprises me.

Just knowing other nonverbal kids have participated helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter