Japan June 2022

This isn't for ABD, but I just got notification from Celebrity Cruise Line that the Japan Cruises for this Fall have been canceled.

With elections this summer I cannot FATHOM Japan will reopen. I cancelled my May trip in March. I hated to do it but the writing was on the wall and I didn't want to sit around waiting and waiting. I needed time to make a Plan B. (My original trip was NOT ABD)

I think the nail is in the coffin for Japan ABD in June... the June 26th departure is "No longer available"
Not surprising, as Japan is still not open to US tourists, nor have I seen that they've given any indications as to when they might be even considering it. Such a shame.

Sayhello

An acquaintance of mine told me that this week she signed up for a tour to Japan in November, 2022, that it was open to tourism again as of a few days ago. I can't seem to confirm that anywhere. She is a textile artist and the tour is centered on that, with some classes involved. I wonder if they're just getting in under some sort of student visa??

Either that, or the tour company is very optimistic.

An acquaintance of mine told me that this week she signed up for a tour to Japan in November, 2022, that it was open to tourism again as of a few days ago. I can't seem to confirm that anywhere. She is a textile artist and the tour is centered on that, with some classes involved. I wonder if they're just getting in under some sort of student visa??

Either that, or the tour company is very optimistic.
One or the other I would have to think. I still don't see anything that says Japan is open to anyone besides limited business travelers and students with special visas.

Sayhello

One or the other I would have to think. I still don't see anything that says Japan is open to anyone besides limited business travelers and students with special visas.

Sayhello
A good friend of mine was transferred to head up Japan operations for his company in October (he was living in Zurich). He and his wife just got allowed into Japan last week and he is a businessman with all the necessary paperwork. Not sure how any tourists would be getting in, but I haven't been following the situation.

In contrast, nearly 19,000 Japanese tourists visited the US (Mainland, Hawaii, & Guam) in January 2022 alone, and the number is certainly higher now. Starting to feel like this is a one-way deal, reminiscent of the Edo/Tokugawa period. 😕

Or reminiscent of 2021 when Americans could get into Europe but Europeans couldn’t get into the US.

Or reminiscent of 2021 when Americans could get into Europe but Europeans couldn’t get into the US.
Or Americans could get into Canada but Canadians couldn't get into the US...

Or Americans could get into Mexico but Mexicans couldn't get into the US.......

FYI for anyone on the july 10 ABD, we called today since PIF is coming up soon… we were told assuming japan doesn’t announce an opening in the next two days - they will cancel on the PIF day. Typically they say we would be notified by noon that day.

FYI for anyone on the july 10 ABD, we called today since PIF is coming up soon… we were told assuming japan doesn’t announce an opening in the next two days - they will cancel on the PIF day. Typically they say we would be notified by noon that day.
Which is a pain if they don't cancel (which is unlikely to happen, I realize, but...) Trying to PIF after noon on the PIF date is ridiculous these days. But why would you pay any earlier? That really, really sucks. They HAVE to know what an ordeal getting through to PIF is nowadays!

Sayhello

Which is a pain if they don't cancel (which is unlikely to happen, I realize, but...) Trying to PIF after noon on the PIF date is ridiculous these days. But why would you pay any earlier? That really, really sucks. They HAVE to know what an ordeal getting through to PIF is nowadays!

Sayhello
Agreed, fortunately a month ago when I called we were able to get approval for them to grant us another move to "placeholder" status. If for some reason this isn't cancelled tomorrow, we will kick the can down the road again.

Nonetheless, we are weary of taking advantage of the early booking discounts moving forward since so much can change in a short time.

This is my biggest complaint. Our backup plan is a trip to the Azores. I have a refundable hotel room booked, but I still need to buy plane tickets and book a rental car. I just can't bring myself to do that without an official cancellation of the Japan trip because the dates would overlap.

To get to the Azores we would have to fly to Boston on United and then catch another flight on Azores Airlines. That was a <$400 ticket a few weeks ago. Now that ticket to Boston is $600-$700. The flight to the Azores is now $1200 instead of $700. I can only imagine what it's going to cost by the time I am able to book. Thank goodness the Azores is an otherwise affordable destination.

Did you end up booking a trip to the Azores? I'm if Azorean descent, and my mom is a first generation immigrant from there. I've been and it's absolutely one of the most beautiful places on Earth.

I hope you are going there since Japan didn't work.

Everyone needs backup plans when traveling nowadays.

Well…just to keep things interesting, Japan announced this week that it will be him to allow in tourists in June. There is still no clarity on the terms of entry, but it is being predicted that only fully vaccinated (and boosted) travelers will be permitted. It also sound like, at least initially, only tourists on a fixed itinerary with an approved tour guide will be permitted. I assume they think this will be allow for better tracking.

Being that my ABD to Japan is in August, I expect to be in limbo through at least June to see how this plays out. While I want to go, this uncertainty is not appealing.

While it may be cool to be in Japan visiting tourist sites with very few tourists, I also fear that much will be closed and we will get a partial experience at a full price. I am torn!

Well…just to keep things interesting, Japan announced this week that it will be him to allow in tourists in June. There is still no clarity on the terms of entry, but it is being predicted that only fully vaccinated (and boosted) travelers will be permitted. It also sound like, at least initially, only tourists on a fixed itinerary with an approved tour guide will be permitted. I assume they think this will be allow for better tracking.

Being that my ABD to Japan is in August, I expect to be in limbo through at least June to see how this plays out. While I want to go, this uncertainty is not appealing.

While it may be cool to be in Japan visiting tourist sites with very few tourists, I also fear that much will be closed and we will get a partial experience at a full price. I am torn!
Yes this past Friday was a bit odd for us… we expected to receive an email by noon notifying us that the July 10 ABD would be cancelled but received nothing. The date was taken off the website so it was unclear what was happening- I thought for a few hours they actually may try to make it happen given the announcement of japan reopening.

I called around 6pm eastern and the vacationista confirmed it was cancelled and asked if I wanted a refund. I said yes and she said initially I would receive an email indicating that a full refund would not be given, but just to wait a few days and the correct notification would be sent.

It was the end of a long week so I accepted the explanation without further questions but I wonder what would have happened if I didn’t call to ask for a refund? Would ABD have just kept a several thousand dollar deposit?

Did you end up booking a trip to the Azores? I'm if Azorean descent, and my mom is a first generation immigrant from there. I've been and it's absolutely one of the most beautiful places on Earth.

I hope you are going there since Japan didn't work.

Everyone needs backup plans when traveling nowadays.
Yes, I did! Flying out of JFK and home through Boston. Was able to cancel ABD in time to get decent airfare. We will have 11 days on Sao Miguel, assuming no issues with our flights. We are so excited!

Yes, I did! Flying out of JFK and home through Boston. Was able to cancel ABD in time to get decent airfare. We will have 11 days on Sao Miguel, assuming no issues with our flights. We are so excited!
Cool. You're just going to São Miguel? I'm hoping to one day see every island plus Maderia.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter