• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Japan destinations

My kid wants to go to Japan, and one of the big things would be to experience KitKat where they have specialty stores, including ones where the customer can produce a custom made variety. I'm having a hard time finding an official list of locations though.

I hope the trip happens - my sister was SO mad that I went without her so we plan on going together.
I got so jealous of my husband going in 2014! But his long layover in Hawaii is what actually prompted us to look into Hawaii on a serious note. We had always sorta brushed it off as "can't afford" but we were able to get it going. People's various comments on the DIS over my time here have def. spawned either travel ideas or goals. I love it truly :flower3:
I'm also getting great advice from this thread and it's making me consider dropping USJ and doing a day trip somewhere else instead. We're doing Disney regardless but we'd be okay skipping USJ.
I'm glad you're getting information, I love that about the threads! Although I'd hate for you to drop a park but can understand. There's just so many unique places in Japan for us I think to keep it on the list. It def. helps with Super Mario World being in the U.S. parks too. I can wait to experience the FL one too although like I mentioned Japan's food looked way better than Hollywood's version got.
The Suica card works for the train lines in the larger cities such as Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto but not in between cities such as Tokyo and Osaka. SO helpful! You can also use it for vending machines and in stores such as 7-11, Family Mart and I think Lawson but don't quote me on that.
okay this does sound quite useful.
I see Hilton Tokyo Bay mentioned all the time.
Good mention, as Hilton is a preferred brand of ours, def. need to check that out.
TDL last month and people were already lined up at the gates at 6 am for a 9 am park opening. Crazy!
:eek: I'm used to seeing that pre-pandemic about really special events for the U.S. parks but not for just a normal day. Hopefully, maybe, it's just because tourism is coming back, I sure hope it wouldn't be that crazy next fall, fingers crossed. I cannot convince my husband to do that and TBH not sure I would have the fortitude either.
If you're going to Hakone, they are very famous for beautiful onsens so I would absolutely recommend going to one there if you had to choose one.
I jotted that down if we end up being brave enough for one
I lived off of the 1000 yen or less ramen shops. 🤣
hahaha, my husband and I both were saying must do ramen..I could see us overindulging on that lol

Wow I'm so envious. I know we're getting to do a generous vacation but yours sounds so nice to have all those days. I can see why you could have more days for things.

I'm a nature person as well. Are the snow monkeys in Nara or somewhere else?

I know exactly what you mean. We are history people but it's a lot like Pearl Harbor or the 9/11 Museum. There's a somberness and emotional aspect to it but still a great appreciation for it as well. I would always recommend at least the 9/11 museum to people so I guess I should take a second look at Hiroshima.

So that was one of the reasons Hakone was added although the caveat I kept reading about was be aware that weather can often obscure it. Now I don't think we would be getting too too close to Mt. Fuji but Hakone seemed to offer good background landscape for activities should the weather be good. But there were a few other things that caught my eye to do there in case Mt. Fuji was a good photo op day.

You're speaking my husband's travel love language...free breakfast :rotfl2:Hilton is actually a preferred brand for us. We have gold or silver level not sure. Hilton is def. on our radar especially if there's free breakfast :lmao:
The onsen-bathing monkeys often featured on BBC documentaries are north of Tokyo in Nagano:

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6028.html

There’s also a monkey park in Kyoto, although that one is much more touristy and zoo-like in its atmosphere.

I would also post this on the Disneyland Tokyo board. There are a few locals, or at least regulars.

We did 6 days Tokyo on our Disney Asia trip. 4 of which dedicated for Disney Tokyo, which was fine for us. 2 days to explore the city was definitely not enough. We went to Akihabara, but didn't see anything what the travel guides wrote about, but maybe we were there on the wrong time of day (lunchtime during the week)

We got a good deal on the Sheraton hotel next to Disney. Really nice hotel, our room was massive, with a view of Disney Sea. We were in there with 3 adults, it had 2 twin beds and as we were all friends they moved in a single bed during our stay. Also the bathroom was much bigger than expected.

I would also post this on the Disneyland Tokyo board. There are a few locals, or at least regulars.
Yeah I will when it gets closer or continue to lurk on some threads that come up on the topic but it's good to know there's some regulars over there too. This thread was mostly for Japan in general but I knew some information would be passed along about DL/DisneySea :)
We got a good deal on the Sheraton hotel next to Disney.
Good to know, added to the list of possible hotels for there, thank you

The onsen-bathing monkeys often featured on BBC documentaries are north of Tokyo in Nagano:

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6028.html

There’s also a monkey park in Kyoto, although that one is much more touristy and zoo-like in its atmosphere.
I'm not sure why I didn't think about Nagano but thank you. Glad to know about the Kyoto one being more zoo like in atmosphere probably not high up on the list.

My kid wants to go to Japan, and one of the big things would be to experience KitKat where they have specialty stores, including ones where the customer can produce a custom made variety. I'm having a hard time finding an official list of locations though.

That actually sounds pretty neat thanks for mentioning that!

For the Tokyo Airports, if you have a choice I would recommend Haneda is at all possible. I agree with adding at least another day to Tokyo. Try to avoid the subway at peak rush hour if at all possible.

I would 2nd the recommendation of the Tokyo-Edo museum.

For Disney, we stayed at the Hilton Tokyo Bay. I would recommend it. Easy access to the parks and it was less than 1/2 the cost of the Miracosta and we still ended up with a view of the fireworks. One thing I will say about Tokyo Disney is plan your visit very carefully as the parks get very busy, so we based the rest of our trip around the dates we were visiting Disney.

I loved Kyoto and Osaka and would love to go back. I was nervous about trying an onsen also, so in Kyoto we stayed at the Solaria Nishitetsu Hotel Kyoto Premier Sanjo Kamogawa. The bathroom felt super relaxing. The hotel concierge set us up with a private tour to visit some of the temples in Kyoto, and it really helped to add more history and context. In Osaka, I would visit the castle but I also enjoyed seeing the more modern parts. Plus, the food scene!

Every time we were in a 7-11 or Larson, I was looking for different flavors of Kit-Kats. I came home with quite a selection- some that we liked were cherry blossom and strawberry. I was not as fond of the matcha.

If you have a chance to try a meal with Kobe beef, do it. We did a multi-course dinner where we were seated in a private room with a small hibachi in the middle of the table. It was $$$$$ but it was the best meal I have ever had.

If anyone in you group is an Anime fan, consider a visit to the new Studio Ghibli park.

For Disney, we stayed at the Hilton Tokyo Bay. I would recommend it. Easy access to the parks and it was less than 1/2 the cost of the Miracosta and we still ended up with a view of the fireworks.
Very good information especially the cost and distance
One thing I will say about Tokyo Disney is plan your visit very carefully as the parks get very busy, so we based the rest of our trip around the dates we were visiting Disney.
Okay I'll have to go perusing that side of the Board to get a better idea about patterns
For the Tokyo Airports, if you have a choice I would recommend Haneda is at all possible.
My husband was the one looking at flight options (for this year but just to get an idea) I'll have to ask him if that's one he was looking at
I agree with adding at least another day to Tokyo. Try to avoid the subway at peak rush hour if at all possible.
Yes for avoiding the peak rush hour such a good point
so in Kyoto we stayed at the Solaria Nishitetsu Hotel Kyoto Premier Sanjo Kamogawa.
I'll have to go look that up thanks for the mention.
some that we liked were cherry blossom
Cherry blossom kit kats!? that sounds actually really good. Matcha can be very overpowering. I've had a few desserts where it was too much but a few that were not bad
If you have a chance to try a meal with Kobe beef, do it. We did a multi-course dinner where we were seated in a private room with a small hibachi in the middle of the table. It was $$$$$ but it was the best meal I have ever had.
I have a feeling we'd be splurging for one meal (like we tend to do on vacation) so I'll have to keep that in mind.

Thanks for the good information!

I used google and two locations popped up

Located in: Seibu Ikebukuro
Address: Japan, 〒171-0022 Tokyo, Toshima City, Minamiikebukuro, 1 Chome−28−1 西武池袋本店食品館B1F

Located in: Takashimaya Shinjuku
Address: Japan, 〒151-0051 Tokyo, Shibuya City, Sendagaya, 5 Chome−24−2 新宿髙島屋 B1

1681765398024.png

At the moment we're planning a Japan trip for next year. My husband has been in 2014 but only to Osaka and Kyoto although he didn't have much time there as it was for an equipment test.

We're pretty confident that October 2024 is the time frame we're looking at. April was considered but looks like more October.

I've done a very brief look up of some places and interests but thought I'd go to the DIS here too. We may be doing another Europe trip next spring (we have a Med cruise this July that I asked opinions about) not sure yet but I may be asking eventually questions there.

I believe my husband has decided that we should get the JR Pass.

We know we'll be wanting to spend approximately 2 days for Toyko Disneyland/DisneySea and additional day to explore Tokyo. We're not sure if we'll fly into Osaka or Tokyo and if we'll do RT or go back home from the other city.

I think my husband would like to go back to Osaka and Kyoto. I don't think the southern/tropical islands are in the cards just due to distance and time. And I don't think we're interested in Hiroshima. But aside from this it's kinda open. Oh and I'm not sure we'd be open to visiting an onsen :o

So from some looking I found the following cities/destinations:

Tokyo

Kyoto

Osaka

Hakone

Nikko

Nara

Shirakawa-go

Kanazawa

We don't have a set number of days. Some of the above can be done in day trips if we wanted to (seemingly from Tokyo or Kyoto so it's possible that overnight may not be needed in accommodations for some places).

Are there any from that list you would nix and if so why? Are there any you would add and if so why? Any advice on any of those locations?

I recommend the performing arts in Japan. Our show included a tea ceremony after the show and we got to keep the hand painted plates.
Here's where we went in Kyoto: direct link

1681767917847.png

Be aware that the price of the JR pass is increasing by 69% in October 2023 and still does not include the fastest Nozomi and Mizuho bullet trains. Even a round trip ticket from Tokyo to Fukuoka will be cheaper than the pass at that point, so you may be better off booking an open jaw flight and just paying for tickets as you go.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter