January trip

Beauties n the Beast

Mouseketeer
I'm so confused on what to do!
I have reserved our trip for me and my kids in Jan 2018 so all of that is settled. However, I am torn on driving both ways or flying down then driving back! It will be 4 of us ... 1 is an infant (will be 9 months at the time of travel) I just don't know if driving 14+ hours each way will be a good thing to do with a 9 month old!! SW has pretty good fares right now, and I know he can fly free if sitting on our lap. I feel like he will just need so much stuff, I'd almost rather pack up a car to make sure I have it all. But if we fly down, can I check his car seat, and stroller?

I'm so confused on what to do!
I have reserved our trip for me and my kids in Jan 2018 so all of that is settled. However, I am torn on driving both ways or flying down then driving back! It will be 4 of us ... 1 is an infant (will be 9 months at the time of travel) I just don't know if driving 14+ hours each way will be a good thing to do with a 9 month old!! SW has pretty good fares right now, and I know he can fly free if sitting on our lap. I feel like he will just need so much stuff, I'd almost rather pack up a car to make sure I have it all. But if we fly down, can I check his car seat, and stroller?
How are you planning to drive back if you fly down?

You can gate check the stroller and car seat so you have the stroller to get through the airport

I can rent a car from the car care center and return to the airport here, and that cost is around $200. I guess my other issue is the cost, I'm on a budget :)
and, thanks!

You can gate check stroller/ car seat. If you're making DS a lap baby and taking DME and Disney Transport around the property, you won't need a car seat. Disney provides pack n plays for sleeping, just remember to request it on your reservation. You also can bring a diaper bag on the plane in addition to any personal item. If you fly SW, you'll have 2 free bags per ticketed passenger, so 6 total. You could put diapers/formula (if used), bottles, wipes, bibs, blankets, stuffed animals, etc. in one suitcase. I would definitely recommend a carrier too, at 9 months he'll be interested in what's going on and may want to be up higher!

ETA: I would NOT want to be in a car for 14+ hours with an infant. We did a 8+ hour drive when DS was 6 months. It was awful.

First of all Why take a nine month old to Disney. ?

None of you will have a full vacation ?

I would CANCEL your reservation .

AND Book a trip to somewhere nearer HOME.

Why ...... You would be near or within striking distance of Family , Friends & HOSPITAL

if anything goes wrong .

There must be someplace ( within 160 miles ) where you All could enjoy yourselves

AND ......... Then Re plan for say 2020

.......... Think about it

I have seen so many " unhappy , Stressed , argumentative " families who

have young children with them at the Parks ..... No Fun .

First of all Why take a nine month old to Disney. ?
None of you will have a full vacation ?
I would CANCEL your reservation .
AND Book a trip to somewhere nearer HOME.
Why ...... You would be near or within striking distance of Family , Friends & HOSPITAL
if anything goes wrong .
There must be someplace ( within 160 miles ) where you All could enjoy yourselves
AND ......... Then Re plan for say 2020
.......... Think about it
I have seen so many " unhappy , Stressed , argumentative " families who
have young children with them at the Parks ..... No Fun .

Agreed.

You can gate check stroller/ car seat. If you're making DS a lap baby and taking DME and Disney Transport around the property, you won't need a car seat. Disney provides pack n plays for sleeping, just remember to request it on your reservation. You also can bring a diaper bag on the plane in addition to any personal item. If you fly SW, you'll have 2 free bags per ticketed passenger, so 6 total. You could put diapers/formula (if used), bottles, wipes, bibs, blankets, stuffed animals, etc. in one suitcase. I would definitely recommend a carrier too, at 9 months he'll be interested in what's going on and may want to be up higher!

ETA: I would NOT want to be in a car for 14+ hours with an infant. We did a 8+ hour drive when DS was 6 months. It was awful.

Thank you ... I was thinking it over and I do worry about the long car ride. He sleeps most of the time now but that is on a much shorter drive, 4 hours. SW has great fares for my timeframe. So most likely that is what I will do (fly) and make use the Dis Transport and DME.

The reason I am bringing a 9 month old to Disney is to celebrate my oldest daughter's birthday. She will be 21 and why not go to Epcot? It's our favorite place to go so it's fitting.. and not that I need to explain more but I do have family and even a friend in Orlando and another an hour away in Riverview. But thanks :)

Thank you ... I was thinking it over and I do worry about the long car ride. He sleeps most of the time now but that is on a much shorter drive, 4 hours. SW has great fares for my timeframe. So most likely that is what I will do (fly) and make use the Dis Transport and DME.

The reason I am bringing a 9 month old to Disney is to celebrate my oldest daughter's birthday. She will be 21 and why not go to Epcot? It's our favorite place to go so it's fitting.. and not that I need to explain more but I do have family and even a friend in Orlando and another an hour away in Riverview. But thanks :)

You don't need to explain. You weren't asking IF you should go, just whether you should fly or drive.
I hope you have fun celebrating your DD 21st!! What an awesome place to celebrate. And don't forget to get your little one a first visit button!

We drove from Baltimore twice with different 12 month olds. Left at night at they slept most of the way. Actually better then the older kids always asking for food and are we there yet.

In the park was easy too. Nap in the stroller. Never really had an issue and did a June trip so was hot. Not that my youngest is 5 older kids want us to have another strictly for the parent swap. I agree I feel so bad for people who are arguing and fighting and yelling at kids for crying.

I have been 5 times in last 9 years with kids from 12 mo this to 13 years old. No meltdowns. Owe it all to the stroller. I'm one of those people who let older kids sit in stroller at 7 or 8 years old. Lol. Athletic kids and can walk. But why. Makes them and me happy.

The "don't go" answer- it doesn't answer the question.

Our youngest (twins) have gone at 11 months, 2, 3, and 5. Two driving trips (from upstate NY), two flying trips. All of them were challenging. And all of them were completely worth it.

We drove from Baltimore twice with different 12 month olds. Left at night at they slept most of the way. Actually better then the older kids always asking for food and are we there yet.

In the park was easy too. Nap in the stroller. Never really had an issue and did a June trip so was hot. Not that my youngest is 5 older kids want us to have another strictly for the parent swap. I agree I feel so bad for people who are arguing and fighting and yelling at kids for crying.

I have been 5 times in last 9 years with kids from 12 mo this to 13 years old. No meltdowns. Owe it all to the stroller. I'm one of those people who let older kids sit in stroller at 7 or 8 years old. Lol. Athletic kids and can walk. But why. Makes them and me happy.

I'm leaving from Baltimore also!! I first took my daughters when they were 18 mos and 5 yrs. But now that they are older they want some of the bigger rides that the baby can't get on -- so my question about parent swap, how does that work? Does the baby get a "fast pass" also? so say my daughters ride something using 2 FP, while I wait with the baby, then one of them waits with the baby while me and other daughter gets on with other 2 FP? And I have my mickey umbrella stroller but thinking he may do better with the bigger stroller that lays back, much as I don't want to lug that one with me.

Thanks all for your replies!!! My oldest wants to drive - it is her birthday BUT I feel like for about $150 more I can get us all plane tickets. Which was my main dilemma, flying 2 hours or driving 15 with a 9 month old! He sleeps now every time in the car but this is a much bigger trip. :)

I'm leaving from Baltimore also!! I first took my daughters when they were 18 mos and 5 yrs. But now that they are older they want some of the bigger rides that the baby can't get on -- so my question about parent swap, how does that work? Does the baby get a "fast pass" also? so say my daughters ride something using 2 FP, while I wait with the baby, then one of them waits with the baby while me and other daughter gets on with other 2 FP? And I have my mickey umbrella stroller but thinking he may do better with the bigger stroller that lays back, much as I don't want to lug that one with me.

Check THIS thread out. It'll answer your questions about Rider Swap.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter