January 2, 2023: Disney Wonder 4-Night Baja Cruise from San Diego (Catalina Island & Ensenada)

ichoose2believe

Mouseketeer
Hello Everyone,

I know it's rather early but I wanted to start a thread for this cruise to connect.

This is our 2nd cruise but first time on the Wonder. We had a blast on the Dream and are hoping that this cruise will be just a great. DS (13) loved getting to hang out at Vibe. If anyone has any tips or advice please post.

Happy Sailing

Edit: We changed our cruise date. I hope everyone has fun on the cruise

Last edited:
FIrst time cruiser. Sailing for DW’s birthday with our two kids DS (18) and DS (14). We are from San Diego so let us know if there are any San Diego questions we can help with.

FIrst time cruiser. Sailing for DW’s birthday with our two kids DS (18) and DS (14). We are from San Diego so let us know if there are any San Diego questions we can help with.

We’re cruising a bit later (April). We will be flying in on Saturday. Any good hotels close to the pier? Any simple activities we can do Saturday evening? We have a 12 yo boy and 7 yo girl

We’re cruising a bit later (April). We will be flying in on Saturday. Any good hotels close to the pier? Any simple activities we can do Saturday evening? We have a 12 yo boy and 7 yo girl
The closest would be Wyndham Hotel right across the street from where the Disney Wonder ports. I would request an Ocean View room so you can wake up to the Wonder in port on the day of the cruise. If you are up to it, you can even get up early and watch it come in.

There are lots of activities to do around the port. There is the USS Midway (aircraft carrier) museum that I used to take my kids to when they were those ages. That is not even a block away from the Wyndham/port.

Keep in mind that it is around New Years so availability and hours may be limited.

UPDATE:
Sorry I re-read again. You’ll be cruising in April. If you have time check out the SD Zoo and Sea World. Those are all within 15-20 mins of the port by car. Legoland is also an option but is a lot farther up north in Carlsbad. I don’t think Sesame Street Place (water park) will be open yet in April but that is inland in Chula Vista.

As far as hotels, Wyndham is definitely the closest but there are LOTS of hotels along the harbor/port.

Welcome to SD! Enjoy your stay. Have a great cruise!

Last edited:

Just curious. Has anybody taken a winter cruise before? I’m an early riser and plan to spend a lot time on deck. I know it will be cold and will be dressed accordingly.

Just curious if the interior will be kept warmer? I tend to run warm so that will likely mean taking/shedding layers as I move between inside/outside.

Or will they keep the interior cooler so folks can keep their sweaters on etc?

:wave2: I have a question or two. We just booked a cruise out of San Diego. Since I may never get to Australia I’m hoping to got to the zoo to see the koalas.

Flying in Dec 26, hope to go to the zoo 27, and depart 28. Hotel recommendation? And I don’t have any feel for how big SD is. If we select a hotel without shuttle service (airport and/port) will we go broke Ubering?

Thanks.

:wave2: I have a question or two. We just booked a cruise out of San Diego. Since I may never get to Australia I’m hoping to got to the zoo to see the koalas.

Flying in Dec 26, hope to go to the zoo 27, and depart 28. Hotel recommendation? And I don’t have any feel for how big SD is. If we select a hotel without shuttle service (airport and/port) will we go broke Ubering?

Thanks.
There are a couple of hotels directly across the street from the port. You can just walk across the street for embarkation. Here's the view we had from our hotel last October. This was taken from our Hotel balcony. For this trip we used the Wyndam San Diego Bayside, but there are a few others right there as well.

There are a couple of hotels directly across the street from the port. You can just walk across the street for embarkation. Here's the view we had from our hotel last October. This was taken from our Hotel balcony. For this trip we used the Wyndam San Diego Bayside, but there are a few others right there as well.

Thanks. That seems to be a popular one. I like the idea of walking to the port.

Thanks.
There are lots of hotels right across the street from the port. The Wyndham is the one immediately directly across. The port is on the west end of Downtown SD. The Zoo is just north of Downtown. It shouldn’t be TOO expensive but it is holiday time. As an aside, there should still be Christmas-y type stuff at the zoo. Jungle Bells are musical interactive lights that they have around the zoo at night. Also, the SD Zoo has a sister park in (very) north part of SD county (Escondido). It is called the SD Safari Park and is a more open habitats. There are large Australia exhibits there as well but that for sure would a HEFTY Uber ride.

There are lots of hotels right across the street from the port. The Wyndham is the one immediately directly across. The port is on the west end of Downtown SD. The Zoo is just north of Downtown. It shouldn’t be TOO expensive but it is holiday time. As an aside, there should still be Christmas-y type stuff at the zoo. Jungle Bells are musical interactive lights that they have around the zoo at night. Also, the SD Zoo has a sister park in (very) north part of SD county (Escondido). It is called the SD Safari Park and is a more open habitats. There are large Australia exhibits there as well but that for sure would a HEFTY Uber ride.
Thanks. Looks like I need to do my research to find where the koalas are. I’m willing to go to Australia but my husband isn’t keen on the idea — long flight from NY.

We booked the Wyndham.

Howdy! We are originally from San Diego. I'm taking my girls 17, and 13 on our first cruise since my divorce.
This will be our... 4th time on the Wonder?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter