Jan. 2015 quick trip recap

ilikewarmhugs77

Earning My Ears
Hey all:

So I won't be doing a full trip report but I wanted to do a quick review of our trip- the highs and lows.
Who: Me, DH, DD (7) and DS (5)
When: Jan. 12-17
Where: CL at The Contemporary
Overall rating of the trip: Outstanding! There were a few minor glitches but overall, it was a superb trip from start to finish

We had initially planned our trip for September but DH's dad got sick and we had to postpone until January. I am so glad we did because the weather was SO much better this week. I am not a fan of heat so this week was perfect for me- mid 50's to 60's the whole time we were there with only one day of rain (which was on our arrival day so it didn't even matter- score!).

The resort: Initially, we had booked CL at the Poly (our usual) but because of the massive construction, I switched it out. I was disappointed because I didn't think I would like the Contemporary. I was surprised to find that I LOVED it! I love how everything is so easy to get to because it's a tall hotel, not a long one. The restaurant choices are great (except for one, which I will get to in a second) and the pool area is fantastic for younger children.
Staying on CL was great- the CL people were mostly helpful with a few exceptions (all coming from the same grumpy Gus who clearly did not love his job). I was not happy with housekeeping. Out of the 5 days of our stay, housekeeping showed up for 3 of them. The last one, I actually had to go find someone and ask them for more towels and coffee so I don't think that one should even count. I expressed my dissatisfaction to the CL at the desk on our last day and received a luke warm response from grumpy Gus. I even said "Obviously, you're not going to do anything about it." and he just shrugged.:sad2: Other than grumpy Gus and bad housekeeping, I loved the Contemporary and may well stay there again.

Restaurants:
Very quickly, I'll list where we ate and simply rate them.
Chef Mickey's Dinner- Awesome!
Boma Dinner- Double Awesome!
Crystal Palace Breakfast- Pretty good
Columbia Harbor House Lunch- Not awesome/bordering on gross
The Wave Dinner- A complete fail. Food was terrible, service was terrible, communication was also horrible (we didn't want to use our dining plan but they did anyway). It was so bad, it was funny
Pinnochio Village House Lunch- Fine, met the need
Earl of Sandwich Lunch- Pretty good
T-Rex Dinner- Fail but not entirely their fault. We walked in while huge dinosaur was roaring and DD turned tail and fled, refusing to go back in. :rotfl:
They were nice enough not to charge the cancelation fee so I appreciate that.

Everything else we ate came from Contempo Cafe and our CL lounge. That was all great. I especially appreciated the "free" booze.

Weather: AMAZING! I will always come at this time now.

Crowds: Super low! Except for Friday at MK which was a zoo, the crowds were so low, I didn't use one FP+ (except for Anna and Elsa) the whole week.

All in all, it was a great time- we will definitely be back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter