James Gunn is back at Marvel

This wouldn't have anything to do with the Fox merger being completed, would it?

ETA: Color me shocked, I sort of figured this would happen once Disney/Fox was signed/sealed/delivered.

Last edited:

I don’t know about that.

I think had James Gunn never come back Guardians 3 probably would’ve never happened.

I also think the fan base spoke and wanted James back.

I also think the complete lack of outrage when Gunn was hired to do Suicide Squad 2 was telling. If no one else was going to take crap for hiring him, why should Disney not bring him back for a movie that was pretty much dependent on him doing it?

Not shocked at all. It was just a game to them apparently.

I don't "like" this, but I certainly agree with you.

I find it hard to believe that companies can't find ANYONE that can do the same job without the same issues attached to them. I mean that in the larger sense and not just this instance.

I don't "like" this, but I certainly agree with you.

I find it hard to believe that companies can't find ANYONE that can do the same job without the same issues attached to them. I mean that in the larger sense and not just this instance.

The question or debate would be about Disney choosing Gunn way back prior to Guardians Vol1. James Gunn's history as a provocative filmmaker and personality were well known when Disney chose him for Guardians Vol1. When they chose him, they knew what they were getting. I never bought that they could be shocked by any 'old' tweets. Sure they could find someone to complete the Guardians films, but I viewed that as a disservice to Gunn who was brought on to complete his vision. From what I know, he didn't do anything AFTER Disney took him on, and it now sounds like Disney always planned to either stay with Gunn or no more Guardians.

Similar to Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy, Gunn has a vision for a Guardians Trilogy and Disney backed his idea. From an artistic standpoint it could have been similar to replacing Nolan for 'Dark Knight Rises'.

If Disney was really interested in just a cash grab then they would have replaced him, but I'm another fan who's faith in Disney is getting a little rekindled hoping they are truly focusing on the final product quality ...

NOW bring on Star Wars Ep 9 :duck:

I'm fine with this.

I don't think they should have fired him in the first place.

All that stuff was posted on Twitter a long time ago. Either Disney doesn't vet their hires very well, or they didn't care at the time.

If anything, Disney should have just asked him to give a public apology and explain that he had grown as a person and didn't find that kind of humor acceptable anymore.

Firing him for stuff that was in the past and not hidden was a bit ridiculous.

Kind of reminds me of the quote in Casablanca: "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on here.'

I'm fine with this.

All that stuff was posted on Twitter a long time ago. Either Disney doesn't vet their hires very well, or they didn't care at the time.

If anything, Disney should have just asked him to give a public apology and explain that he had grown as a person and didn't find that kind of humor acceptable anymore.

Kind of reminds me of the quote in Casablanca: "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on here.'

He did issue exactly that when this was all dug up.

I'm fine with this.

My guess is they knew but didn’t think it was a big deal (how much they knew, the full extend, no idea but I am sure hey were aware of some posted comments but figured that was back when he was attempting humor and didn’t hold it against him going forward) .... but the. The public outcry was huge and it was in the middle of other scandles (including their own with Lassiter) and people/the public wanted companies to take swift action so they did

But he has shown (or been trying to demonstrate) that he has learned from it and grown from it and not the same person her was then - so I think a positive that people can overcome past mistakes (obviously some things you can’t ever overcome - and for everyone that line is at a different point).

In the future maybe there will be an acceptable way to address something but allow time to assess situation - not ignore it but also not need instantaneous action to satisfy people

I was happy that he is back. I pretty much saw that his knock out of being director was uncalled for.
Many people have their own agenda's and will say pretty much anything to get what they want, even lies. I know...I've been there myself.
which is why i'm not for the me too initiative, which I know will pretty much anger people. But being a victim of someone lying to get me arrested for their own gain,
I don't really believe too many people who cry fowl. I mean who knows what really happened? Did they give consent and it didin't go entirely their way? Are they
lying to gain something?

Those who cry fowl and accuse people of something when they didn't do something hurts them deeply. I know... People have their own agenda's.

I was happy that he is back. I pretty much saw that his knock out of being director was uncalled for.
Many people have their own agenda's and will say pretty much anything to get what they want, even lies. I know...I've been there myself.
which is why i'm not for the me too initiative, which I know will pretty much anger people. But being a victim of someone lying to get me arrested for their own gain,
I don't really believe too many people who cry fowl. I mean who knows what really happened? Did they give consent and it didin't go entirely their way? Are they
lying to gain something?

Those who cry fowl and accuse people of something when they didn't do something hurts them deeply. I know... People have their own agenda's.
What was the lie in this case?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter