Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

So I love AKL, and I really appreciate both Kidani and Jambo for what they are, and I wouldn't say I have a favorite between the two.

However, the one thing that seems to be a consistent problem at Kidani is the handling of the magic bands. Whenever there's a split stay of any kind dealing with the bands can be a hassle, but in my experience Kidani is the one place where they can never seem to fix the issue, and today things got completely fubar, culminating in my wife being rejected at Epcot because her band had been erroneously assigned to my daughter, while my daughters was assigned to a 2nd instance of her that she couldn't access. I've been to the desk a total of 5 times today and had to "test" the bands multiple times by spending money at the gift shop.

I have to stress that although it is common to have issues when checking out of one resort and checking into another (though in this case it was just going from Jambo to Kidani so it shouldn't have been a problem at all), it seems consistently worse at Kidani. I can't seem to figure it why that is, but it's making me not wanting to stay here any more. I was at Jambo all week no problem but get to Kidani and it immediately becomes a headache.
We just did a split stay with our 2nd leg at Jambo. Yep, we had to go down and get our Magic bands reconnected. We couldn't even use our phone to enter the room. Pain going to room to find out you have to go back down stairs to see the front desk. We got our steps in! A few years ago my husband and son's bands got messed up too. I am now trying to remember if we were at Kidani or not. We may have been!

I’m so confused on which one I should ask for — between sunset and Arusha — any thoughts/opinions there? I don’t think we care how close we are to lobby, etc. just want the kids to be able to see the animals, mainly giraffes and zebras!
I’d request Sunset savanna. It’s the largest, so easier request for the room assigners to meet.

I’m so confused on which one I should ask for — between sunset and Arusha — any thoughts/opinions there? I don’t think we care how close we are to lobby, etc. just want the kids to be able to see the animals, mainly giraffes and zebras!
Both savannas are really nice. We have a preference for Sunset, but are not disappointed if we get Arusha. Keep in mind, you can absolutely request a particular savanna view, but it's not guaranteed anyway. But your kids will almost certainly get to see the animals, including giraffes and zebras. You'll also see some spectacular viewing spots around the resort where they might even be able to get a little closer to them! Enjoy your trip. AKL is our favorite resort anywhere (not just Disney), and our kids absolutely loved it there over the years - mostly because of the animals!

It’s just a hotel reservation — good to know so no king and pull out option. Prob would have liked the studio villa more then. Too late now lol.
A DVC studio at Jambo House would have had a queen size bed and a double size sleeper sofa. The DVC studios do not have king size beds.

Hi All!
We will be staying at AKL Jambo for the first time. We have scooters on site. I know the busses are shared between Jambo and Kidani. I also read that they stop at Kidani first. Has anyone experienced issues with loading scooters being at the second stop going to the parks?

Thank you!

Hi All!
We will be staying at AKL Jambo for the first time. We have scooters on site. I know the busses are shared between Jambo and Kidani. I also read that they stop at Kidani first. Has anyone experienced issues with loading scooters being at the second stop going to the parks?

Thank you!
Since I own DVC there, I’ve stayed frequently usually Jambo and use a scooter. Have not had issues since drivers will load a Kidani scooter in the spot nearest the front which leaves the back one for me.

Now if 2 scooters load at Kidani that’s different unless it’s a bus that can take 3.

When you return to the resort from the park, be sure the driver knows you want Jambo… especially if there is another scooter loading going to Kidani. You need to be first in so they can be first out.

Now if your party has 2 scooters you should plan for splitting up or waiting. You may be lucky but patience will be your friend!

Last edited:
Hi All!

Thank you!
I am not the scooter-rider in my group, however we do usually have 2 or 3 scooters when on a trip with extended family. We do usually have to allow at least an EXTRA 30 mins of travel time, since it's possible that we will need to wait for 3 buses to get all scooters on. We have *occasionally* made the trek over to the bus stop on the other side of the resort. Certainly not a simple option, but we can usually predict it will take, let's say, 20 minutes to get over there on the walking path, and then we will probably be able to board the first bus. If we're pressed for time, I like those odds better than potentially waiting it out for an extra 45 minutes at stop #2 during the busy morning travel times. But I know every family has different priorities!

Maybe an odd question but what laundry detergent do they have available in the laundry rooms? Trying to figure out if I need to bring my own.

Also, are there microwaves available any where?

Last edited:
Maybe an odd question but what laundry detergent do they have available in the laundry rooms? Trying to figure out if I need to bring my own.

It’s still this Ares Free and Green in the machines (and sometimes tide and bounce in the stores on site).

I buy this breezo laundry detergent strips and pack them because they are good and light!

Turns out you can use the dish soap in the laundry lol. We just had a 1br and they had the same clear liquid dish soap stocked for laundry and the clothes all came out fine.

It’s still this Ares Free and Green in the machines (and sometimes tide and bounce in the stores on site).

I buy this breezo laundry detergent strips and pack them because they are good and light!
Thanks! I've never been there long enough to want to do laundry, so wasn't sure what might be available. I'll tack some of what we use onto our walmart order. Unfortunately we're all sensitive to laundry detergent:rolleyes2

Turns out you can use the dish soap in the laundry lol. We just had a 1br and they had the same clear liquid dish soap stocked for laundry and the clothes all came out fine.
Makes sense, I use dawn for stains. We won't have laundry in our room unfortunately.

Just checked in yesterday for a two night stay. I decided last minute to purchase a Savannah view and honestly I’m a bit disappointed. It’s tucked away near the end and we’ve only seen two cattle come by but it’s been mostly empty. I feel this should be considered an obstructed view. If I was staying longer I’d definitely request a room change.

Attachments

• IMG_8912.jpeg
    IMG_8912.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 79
Just checked in yesterday for a two night stay. I decided last minute to purchase a Savannah view and honestly I’m a bit disappointed. It’s tucked away near the end and we’ve only seen two cattle come by but it’s been mostly empty. I feel this should be considered an obstructed view. If I was staying longer I’d definitely request a room change.

I'm curious why you would consider this view obstructed? I agree that if you are down at the end that perhaps less animals come your way which would be super frustrating. But I don't see how your view is obstructed compared to all the rooms across from you in the photo, it seems to me they are looking at the same thing you are.

But maybe I'm just missing some context from this photo

This seems to be the thread filled with people who know AKL Jambo. This is my first stay there and have a Savana view studio. It just my wife and I. Can you weigh in on what rooms/area of Jambo to request? We like upper floors, and close to refillable mug station.

This seems to be the thread filled with people who know AKL Jambo. This is my first stay there and have a Savana view studio. It just my wife and I. Can you weigh in on what rooms/area of Jambo to request? We like upper floors, and close to refillable mug station.
You will hear from people who are more helpful than I am, but I'll start.

The 6th floor (top floor) is the Club Level DVC rooms, so you won't be up there.

The rest of the DVC rooms are on the 5th floor, so that's where you will be.

I wonder if the higher floors have obstructed views because of the trees? I’m guessing they are not officially called obstructed views because of trees.

Do some of the lower floors have better views because no trees get in the way?
If so, which floors?

I know when we stayed there we had a 2nd or 3rd floor room and trees did not get in our way (can’t remember which floor, it was almost a decade ago).

It was definitely one of my top resort stays. We loved the balcony looking out at the savanna. Positively magical.

I wonder if the higher floors have obstructed views because of the trees? I’m guessing they are not officially called obstructed views because of trees.

Do some of the lower floors have better views because no trees get in the way?
If so, which floors?

I know when we stayed there we had a 2nd or 3rd floor room and trees did not get in our way (can’t remember which floor, it was almost a decade ago).

It was definitely one of my top resort stays. We loved the balcony looking out at the savanna. Positively magical.
Over the years, we've usually requested the top floor at AKL, mostly because we don't like to be below the family that sounds like a herd of bison running around above us!! But when we've gotten rooms on the lower floors, we do feel the views might be a bit better. We feel we can see farther around the savannah, probably because of what you're suggesting - seeing through the trees better. But we've never felt our upper room gave us an obstructed view. We've also had trips where our timing around when the animals chose to walk by made for a stay where we saw less animals. The animals will definitely do their own thing during the day!

I see that picture of the savannah posted above, and I don't think obstructed view!! I think 'I wish I was there this week'!!

Question for those who've booked standard view rooms. Did you actually have a "view" as opposed to a rooftop or the parking lot? Touringplans shows a LOT of standard view rooms that seem to have decent views of the savannahs. Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter