Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

I put in a Touring Plans room request for a Standard with a partial Savannah view, and we had what was quite possibly the best location I've ever had. Not sure if it was actually a Standard room as booked, but our view was fantastic. Lots of animals out and about the entire trip, we were in Room 3347.

My last trip I had standard room booked and got 3341....it was great. TP shows those rooms as Standard.

As for Jiko--I used to like it. But the last meal (pre-Covid) there was awful. Overly salted inedible lamb, totally clueless/absent/awful server. I was really disappointed. Overall, AKL restaurants are the only ones that I think really try to be different than the cookie cutter/bland/American meat-based menus usually offered. Sanaa is still a small gem. Looking forward to eating there next month.

We were also at Jambo last week, and it was so nice to get back. Sanaa and Boma are 2 of our favorites at WDW, too. We did not get to enjoy Sanaa this trip, but the dinner buffet at Boma was a welcome site! It's still not 100% of what it was pre-Covid, but it was still darn good! Now if we can just get Jiko back open - I'm sure that's coming in 2022 (or at least I hope!).

Just a quick note to your comment because you mentioned that Boma's not 100% of what is was for dinner pre-COVID shutdown, but breakfast at Boma is as good as ever. It's always been one of our must do meals and don't think there was a single thing missing from past breakfasts there.

As an aside, I was happy to see, and I don't know if this is new, but we were given the Disney Visa discount on our meal at Boma simply using our linked magic bands. In the past, we've had to physically present our actual Disney Visa card to get the meal discount. Don't know if that's been the norm for some time now, but it was a welcome surprise.

Just a quick note to your comment because you mentioned that Boma's not 100% of what is was for dinner pre-COVID shutdown, but breakfast at Boma is as good as ever. It's always been one of our must do meals and don't think there was a single thing missing from past breakfasts there.

As an aside, I was happy to see, and I don't know if this is new, but we were given the Disney Visa discount on our meal at Boma simply using our linked magic bands. In the past, we've had to physically present our actual Disney Visa card to get the meal discount. Don't know if that's been the norm for some time now, but it was a welcome surprise.
Yes, we did dinner, and some of the salads and breads and dips were reduced, but not enough to be overly concerned about. Glad to hear breakfast is back, though! We managed CL this trip, so breakfast was already accounted for each day!

The spinach goat cheese scrambled eggs were missing in August, hopefully they’ve returned. :-)

Here now at AKL. At check-in we were asked if we wanted housekeeping and we said we did. The front desk CM told us we'd get trash+towels every other day and a full cleaning on days 4 and 8.

Since day 8 is the day before we check out, we kind of assumed we wouldn't get a full cleaning that day, but we weren't expecting to get zero housekeeping, which is what we've had so far.

Yesterday--day 3--I had to call to get trash+towels, this on a day when we desperately wanted to nap but had to wait for housekeeping to show up. We were brought several bath towels and no hand towels or washcloths and we had to beg the CM to take our trash.

I called housekeeping back to ask for a couple of hand towels and washcloths and about 15 minutes later someone showed up at the door, asked if we needed the trash removed (seriously?) and clicked the entry pad on our door, which I guess was so we wouldn't be further disturbed by the room check, which apparently also hadn't happened even though we were out all day.

For $680/night (and that's with the AP discount!) you'd think we'd get housekeeping--at least a little housekeeping. At the very least they might've told us at check-in that we weren't going to get any housekeeping and we would have to call to get fresh towels.

The room is beautiful, we've had great animal viewing from our savanna-view room, and we love AKL. It's our favorite resort. But is it $680/night favorite? No way. We did this only because we had to cancel so many trips here during covid.

The resort seems pretty full, so apparently there are many people who can afford these prices. Maybe my sister and I, expecting to be able to continue to afford AKL, are living in a fantasy world all the time, not just when we're at Disney, but at these exorbitant prices, no or minimal discounts, and no bounceback, we are being priced out of AKL.

Hi! Does anybody know if any of the AKL Standard view rooms have a bathtub? I have an infant and it’s easier to give him a quick bath in a bathtub than shower but the photos i’ve seen online and youtube seems only showers. TIA!

Hi! Does anybody know if any of the AKL Standard view rooms have a bathtub? I have an infant and it’s easier to give him a quick bath in a bathtub than shower but the photos i’ve seen online and youtube seems only showers. TIA!
at Jambo, it’s a bathtub, at least was when we stayed 3 years ago

Hoping and praying that Jiko is open when we go in January.....
...same here...we had an ADR for Boma the day we arrive, but changed it to Toledo and were going to do a walk-up for the next night....I'd rather do a walk-up for Jiko, assuming it's open.

With the refurbishment, most AKL hotel rooms now have the new showers. However, some rooms do have the new tubs.

On the WDW website on the "rooms rates" page for AKL, if you click on the "view photos" for the two queen standard view it will bring up pictures of that room type, and for the bathroom they have a picture of a tub:

...were you on Zebra Trail? Ours was on the 5th floor at the end, the first right where you can catch the elevator to Simba's Cubhouse.

[...directly to the left of that light pole]

Is Simba's Clubhouse currently open? I've searched for this info but can't find anything post-reopening. I just want to prepare my son so he's not disappointed if it remains closed. Thank you!

Is Simba's Clubhouse currently open? I've searched for this info but can't find anything post-reopening. I just want to prepare my son so he's not disappointed if it remains closed. Thank you!
Yes it is! I spent some time there in October. It's listed on the activity calendar, they're just calling it "Simba's Activity Center" instead of Cubhouse now.

...yes, it is definitely open. My DS is a CM and one of his besties is a coordinator at AKL. He just texted her and she responded with a "yes"!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter