Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

I just switched to AKL this morning. I was originally booked in a pref room at CBR, but a standard room at AKL was only $12.97 more with the 2020 discounts...so it seemed like a no-brainer. It's not my first time to stay at AKL. I stayed there back in 2013...booked a bunk bed room with a pool view and wound up with a bunk bed room with a really nice savanna view. In fact, I recall having three savanna options when putting in my room requests for that trip. Being in a standard room this time, room location seems to be the only thing I can request...which is understandable. Thinking close to the lobby is my best choice, but any insights or thoughts on things that may have changed since 2013 would be appreciated.

Doubt I'll have the awesome balcony view this time, but who knows...maybe I'll get one and have a new favorite AKL animal pic to top this one from our last stay (still cracks me up)...

9961172444_20885cd779_z.jpg

I'm with you. I switched over from POFQ this morning. We have a standard view. I started my online check-in and requested upper room, close to lobby. But when I was talking to a CM today booking my ME I asked if I could put in a partial-savannah room request. So we will see. I am just happy to BE at AKL this time. If I get just a regular standard view room I'll be okay, it's what I paid for. But but but.... I'm reading of multiple people getting upgraded to savannah or partial-savannah so there is a little room for hope! We are surprising our kids with this trip and they are going to go bananas when we tell them what resort we are staying. 117 more days!!

I'm still in disbelief as just this morning switched to AKL standard view from POFQ. I am looking forward to reading through this thread to get the ins and outs of this beautiful resort. I booked a standard view, but it looks like we can request a savannah room during online check-in? Crazy!
Me too, me too! I'm so excited! I need to figure out what Standard view means? Where are those rooms located (obviously over the parking area or roof, but which buildings are standard). I don't care for the view, as we are going to be out a LOT and very late, but I'm still excited to be at AKL.
A PP said she booked a standard room, requested a partial savannah room and received a savannah view. Wishful thinking, I know, but was very curious to see if this even was possible?
I just switched to AKL this morning. I was originally booked in a pref room at CBR, but a standard room at AKL was only $12.97 more with the 2020 discounts...so it seemed like a no-brainer. It's not my first time to stay at AKL. I stayed there back in 2013...booked a bunk bed room with a pool view and wound up with a bunk bed room with a really nice savanna view. In fact, I recall having three savanna options when putting in my room requests for that trip. Being in a standard room this time, room location seems to be the only thing I can request...which is understandable. Thinking close to the lobby is my best choice...
Welcome all of you new AKL transfers in lol
Online check in choices are very few these days, they no longer let you choose a savanna, the choices are very generic these days - near lobby, upper floor, lower floor etc. So best to call and ask them to note your requests on your reservation.

Savanna views are a bookable category, as are pool views, I believe. Everything else falls into the standard view category. I have no inside knowledge, but based on what I’ve read here through the years I’ve gleaned that standard views may look out over the front of the resort (parking lot/road,) they may overlook a roof + the pool, and many are ‘partial’ savanna view. I suspect how ‘partial’ that savanna view is depends on how many of the more expensive savanna views have been booked.

Half the Ostrich trail rooms overlook a potion of Sunset savanna (the other half face the front/street parking lot,) several of the rooms on Kudu trail are classified as partial savanna view because they overlook a people pen or have less than stellar views. Many of the non savanna view Zebra trail rooms face the pool, but there may be some facing the people pen on Uzima savanna and thus would be classified as standard view. Most of the rooms facing Arusha savanna on both Kudu and Zebra trail are full on savanna views - but the rooms at the very ends of those hallways may be partial savanna views & thus standard view. The rooms on Giraffe trail overlook the front of the building or the pool (road/parking lot) there is a convenient door into Giraffe trail about halfway up the walk to/from the bus. There are also rooms not on trails that open on to the lobby which face the pool or a section of Sunset savanna.

I'm with you. I switched over from POFQ this morning. We have a standard view. I started my online check-in and requested upper room, close to lobby. But when I was talking to a CM today booking my ME I asked if I could put in a partial-savannah room request. So we will see. I am just happy to BE at AKL this time. If I get just a regular standard view room I'll be okay, it's what I paid for. But but but.... I'm reading of multiple people getting upgraded to savannah or partial-savannah so there is a little room for hope! We are surprising our kids with this trip and they are going to go bananas when we tell them what resort we are staying. 117 more days!!

I know it is very common to wind up with a partial savanna view with a standard view. In fact, I have yet to see a true standard view because everyone I know has gotten some kind of upgrade. Im still good with it if I don’t get one. The resort is amazing even without a balcony view.

Welcome all of you new AKL transfers in lol
Online check in choices are very few these days, they no longer let you choose a savanna, the choices are very generic these days - near lobby, upper floor, lower floor etc. So best to call and ask them to note your requests on your reservation.

Savanna views are a bookable category, as are pool views, I believe. Everything else falls into the standard view category. I have no inside knowledge, but based on what I’ve read here through the years I’ve gleaned that standard views may look out over the front of the resort (parking lot/road,) they may overlook a roof + the pool, and many are ‘partial’ savanna view. I suspect how ‘partial’ that savanna view is depends on how many of the more expensive savanna views have been booked.

Half the Ostrich trail rooms overlook a potion of Sunset savanna (the other half face the front/street parking lot,) several of the rooms on Kudu trail are classified as partial savanna view because they overlook a people pen or have less than stellar views. Many of the non savanna view Zebra trail rooms face the pool, but there may be some facing the people pen on Uzima savanna and thus would be classified as standard view. Most of the rooms facing Arusha savanna on both Kudu and Zebra trail are full on savanna views - but the rooms at the very ends of those hallways may be partial savanna views & thus standard view. The rooms on Giraffe trail overlook the front of the building or the pool (road/parking lot) there is a convenient door into Giraffe trail about halfway up the walk to/from the bus. There are also rooms not on trails that open on to the lobby which face the pool or a section of Sunset savanna.

I can handle it if I get a meh view. Last time stayed at AKL, I had the family with me and it was more important for me for the kids. I was wondering about the lobby rooms. We stayed at one at WL a number of years ago that was classified as a standard room. While I was so/so on the room itself, we had a view of MK fireworks from our balcony, and the WL Christmas tree and lobby every time we exited. It was pretty perfect in those regards, so staying over the AKL lobby if there are standard rooms in that area is a thought. The pool is probably my only fear, as pool view rooms have the potential to be noisy. We ended up near one of the "quiet" pools when we stayed at YC and I swear, every single night, there were adults out there being loud. I sound like such a stick in the mud saying that, but I was tired after long park days and just wanted to enjoy a drink on my patio with some peace.

There have been parking lot view pictures in this thread and we booked standard and have gotten a bad pool view. I’ve learned to book what we want due to trial and error. We now book savanna view so , hopefully, no luck of the draw.

Planning our trip for next summer and just stumbled into a great deal on a 1BR savannah view villa at AKL - Jambo. We are doing a split stay between there and Boardwalk Villas for a 10 day stay. Now, I've stayed at Kidani before but have never at Jambo (traditionally the 1 BR's at Jambo with a savannah view seem very tough to come by). So I'm wondering if there's much difference in the different savannah in terms of animals? Will giraffes be viewable from all savannah view rooms or do I need to put in a special request? Thanks for any and all help.

I needed one night RO for our last night, and the “deals” at the mods weren't that great. AKL was still more, but what the heck. Booked standard, and will put in a request for partial savanna. The first time I stayed at AKL, I did get a view of the parking lot, so I know it can happen.

Planning our trip for next summer and just stumbled into a great deal on a 1BR savannah view villa at AKL - Jambo. We are doing a split stay between there and Boardwalk Villas for a 10 day stay. Now, I've stayed at Kidani before but have never at Jambo (traditionally the 1 BR's at Jambo with a savannah view seem very tough to come by). So I'm wondering if there's much difference in the different savannah in terms of animals? Will giraffes be viewable from all savannah view rooms or do I need to put in a special request? Thanks for any and all help.
No need to request a savanna w/ giraffes as all 3 of the savannas visible from Jambo have giraffes, unlike Kidani where the small Pembe savanna does not have them.
Many many years ago I think Uzima savanna didn’t have giraffes & you’ll occasionally stumble upon very dated information about that, but there have been giraffes on Sunset, Arusha, and Uzima savannas for quite some time.

We will be at AKL Jambo next week!
10/5 - 10/14
October
10/1 - 10/10 wifey - AKL
10/4 - 10/6 CarolinaBlue99 - AKL
10/5 - 10/14 mzozzietj - AKL Jambo
10/20 - 10/26 Ali Carlson - AKL
10/24 - 10/27 nikkita - Pop
10/26 - 11/1 melana - AKL-Jambo
10/27 - 10/30 P'colaBeachBum - AKL
10/27 - 11/2 nikkita AKL

With the discounts coming out today I changed from Kidani to Jambo 2/18-2/24 :D
For the $1,400 I'm saving I'd say I can live with only one bathroom in the one bedroom villa!!

Did the villas in Jambo get renovated this year as well?
February
2/4 - 2/12 Mollygirl21 - AKV

2/14 - 2/20 MadMadamMim1 - Jambo

any updates on the room rennos at AKL? have the done the zebra trail on the third floot yet ? anyone?

Does anyone have any information on sending a room request to AKL directly if you do not have access through Touring Plans?

hey everyone! we’ve stayed at AKL a few times, and we’re planning on another visit over the winter.

our last stay was in 2017. I have a couple questions for the experts who have more recent info...

it looks like the resort has had room renovations recently—is it finished? or will it be finished by early 2020?

the pool looks like it’s been closed too—any update on that?

I remember there were some special safari/activities for guests at AKL. can anyone fill me in on what’s currently available?

finally, anything else new and exciting we should know as we plan? I love trying new hotels but we always end up back at AKL...it’s so beautiful and there’s so much to do. Thanks for any help to make our next stay special!

hey everyone! we’ve stayed at AKL a few times, and we’re planning on another visit over the winter.

our last stay was in 2017. I have a couple questions for the experts who have more recent info...

it looks like the resort has had room renovations recently—is it finished? or will it be finished by early 2020?

the pool looks like it’s been closed too—any update on that?

I remember there were some special safari/activities for guests at AKL. can anyone fill me in on what’s currently available?

finally, anything else new and exciting we should know as we plan? I love trying new hotels but we always end up back at AKL...it’s so beautiful and there’s so much to do. Thanks for any help to make our next stay special!

The pool renovations are long over with.

The hotel rooms are being renovated. They have finished some rooms (kudu trail and some of zebra trail), but are not yet done. An official end date has not been announced, but it is expected to last into 2020.

As far as I know none of the safaris are only for guests of AKL.

This website has the recreation calendars for all the resorts; you can look at AKL's and see what is available. Keep in mind October has extra events due to halloween. https://www.orlandoparksnews.com/p/recreational-calendars.html

SW

Just booked a 2 nite stay for end of April. Hoping all the renovations will be done. Does anyone know how long they have been renovating. Our dates for April is 4/24 and 4/25. I booked a pool view but wondering if I will like it.

The pool renovations are long over with.

The hotel rooms are being renovated. They have finished some rooms (kudu trail and some of zebra trail), but are not yet done. An official end date has not been announced, but it is expected to last into 2020.

As far as I know none of the safaris are only for guests of AKL.

This website has the recreation calendars for all the resorts; you can look at AKL's and see what is available. Keep in mind October has extra events due to halloween. https://www.orlandoparksnews.com/p/recreational-calendars.html

SW

thanks very much :)

Currently here on Kudo trail and room doesn’t appear to be renovated. Only thing different since our last trip are the installled shampoo, conditioner and body wash in the shower replacing the little bottles. Our balcony is inundated with lovebugs both dead and alive so we haven’t been enjoying the view as much to his trip. I did go down and ask if someone could clear the dead ones and sadly I can’t tell if they did because there were plenty more last night. On a positive note for those coming soon they’re dying!! Almost the end of love bug season 🤪

Currently here on Kudo trail and room doesn’t appear to be renovated. Only thing different since our last trip are the installled shampoo, conditioner and body wash in the shower replacing the little bottles. Our balcony is inundated with lovebugs both dead and alive so we haven’t been enjoying the view as much to his trip. I did go down and ask if someone could clear the dead ones and sadly I can’t tell if they did because there were plenty more last night. On a positive note for those coming soon they’re dying!! Almost the end of love bug season 🤪
I thought all the rooms on Kudu Trail were done and they only put the installed shampoo, etc in the shower in renovated rooms. They have been working on Zebra Trail and from what I've read they are not finished with it and still have the other 2 Trails to do. Male love bugs die not long after mating. Thankfully it was not bad here on the coast!

Just booked a 2 nite stay for end of April. Hoping all the renovations will be done. Does anyone know how long they have been renovating. Our dates for April is 4/24 and 4/25. I booked a pool view but wondering if I will like it.
April
3/29 - 4/5 andral - AKL Jambo
4/14 - 4/25 cincystamper - AKL Jambo
4/24 - 4/25 Sajchinook2015 AKL
4/27 - 5/8 lisa12000 - AKL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter