Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

Wow - thank you so much for the information. I will put in a request for the Arusha Savannah and see what happens. Thanks again.
We stayed at AK Lodge for the first time last year (all Values until then) and we had an Arusha view and loved it. Amazing view of the giant window on the main building and Arusha Rock, and so many great animal sightings. Some of my favorites were really late at night when you could just make out sleeping giraffes in the darkness, 15ft from the window. Such an amazing experience, and even though we said last year was “once in a lifetime” somehow we’re doing it again in 2 weeks!

I've read a few posts on room views here and in other places, but I wanted to see if I could reach a larger audience on my specific question in this thread. I rented DVC points to a get a Jambo House Savannah view studio for next spring. Does anyone have any specific recommendations for room request for "best" view (I know they're probably all great!) or location? I know it will be on the 5th floor since it's DVC JH, and I saw one plug for Sunset Savannah- Kudu Trail and another for Zebra Trail, which I think is Arusha savannah. I'll also have a 3-yr. old and my parents also have rented a DVC JH Savannah view studio, so I'll probably request that they try to get our rooms relatively close together. Thanks!

We stayed at AK Lodge for the first time last year (all Values until then) and we had an Arusha view and loved it. Amazing view of the giant window on the main building and Arusha Rock, and so many great animal sightings. Some of my favorites were really late at night when you could just make out sleeping giraffes in the darkness, 15ft from the window. Such an amazing experience, and even though we said last year was “once in a lifetime” somehow we’re doing it again in 2 weeks!

That is so great that you are going back. I can't wait to go - we are trying not to do many parks while we are there so we can enjoy the resort. Thanks! Come back with pictures - Enjoy!

Which savanna would you all recommend to see the most animals? Which savannas have animals out in the morning? Thanks so much for all of your help. We are staying dvc, savanna room at the Jambo house. I had requested Sunset as that is what the MS lady suggested but had someone else mention the Zebra Trail. I am confused as to which would be better. My son really wants to see animals from his balcony. Trying to make that magic happen :) Thanks!

I've read a few posts on room views here and in other places, but I wanted to see if I could reach a larger audience on my specific question in this thread. I rented DVC points to a get a Jambo House Savannah view studio for next spring. Does anyone have any specific recommendations for room request for "best" view (I know they're probably all great!) or location? I know it will be on the 5th floor since it's DVC JH, and I saw one plug for Sunset Savannah- Kudu Trail and another for Zebra Trail, which I think is Arusha savannah. I'll also have a 3-yr. old and my parents also have rented a DVC JH Savannah view studio, so I'll probably request that they try to get our rooms relatively close together. Thanks!
I just asked the same thing! I am so confused...lol

Which savanna would you all recommend to see the most animals? Which savannas have animals out in the morning? Thanks so much for all of your help. We are staying dvc, savanna room at the Jambo house. I had requested Sunset as that is what the MS lady suggested but had someone else mention the Zebra Trail. I am confused as to which would be better. My son really wants to see animals from his balcony. Trying to make that magic happen :) Thanks!
Take a look at the Jambo map, you’ll notice 3 savannas abutting the trails/hallways of the resort.
Looking from the lobby out the back is Arusha savanna. There are villas facing Arusha savanna on Kudu trail which is the hallway to the left and Zebra trail which is hallway to the right. The villas on Zebra trail are popular because they are on the same side as the access to the pool and the quick service restaurant called the Mara. Arusha has giraffes, zebras and numerous other animals. Also on Zebra trail, but on the opposite side of the hallway are villas facing Uzima savanna. Uzima savanna also has giraffes (and had the 2 new baby giraffes in Dec.) and may have zebras along with several other animals. My best personal balcony animal viewing was from a villa facing Uzima near a small pond.
Also on the left hand side of the lobby on Kudu trail on the opposite side of the hallway from the Arusha facing villas are the villas facing Sunset savanna. Sunset is the largest savanna and has giraffes and usually has the herd of Hartman Mt. zebras - AK/AKL is part of the AZA breeding program for the species, so you may happen upon youngsters among the herd, depending on when you are there. Sunset also has Ostriches and several other animals. There is a very convenient sky bridge on the 5th floor connecting Zebra & Kudu trails, btw.
With savanna view villas you will not be on the 2 shorter hallways at the front of the resort - Giraffe and Ostrich trails.
Each savanna’s animals leave the savanna in the morning for an hour to an hour & a half, for checks/feeding/husbandry needs and then return. From one of my Zebra trail Arusha view villas I was able to watch the animals returning from the barn visit late mornings, it made me think of Noah’s ark :)
Browse is placed throughout the savannas during the day to attract animals to particular spots, so watch for the trucks putting the browse out as the animals will often be by shortly to eat. The animals also move about the savannas, so what looks to be an empty savanna can suddenly seem full of animals once they wander by. Take some time early in your stay to familiarize yourself w/ the animal’s routines to maximize your animal watching. Ask the CMs at the overlooks (Arusha rock and Uzima overlook beyond the pool) for info. as well. Take time to look out the windows as you stroll to your villa as you’ll often see animals.
IME, if I take the time to check often early in my stay to determine when the animals are in my region of the savanna, thereafter I’m able to adjust my schedule to see
‘my’ animals from my balcony. You can also spot them gliding silently by at night.

Last edited:

Well, the original plan was to stay at Yacht or Beach Club but they didn't have great deals and AKL did, sooooo, looks like I'm coming home June 21-24!! We booked a pool view room for our split stay (the other part will be at Contemporary).

I really want to try new resorts, but I can't help but feel elated to be returning to AKL. :lovestruc

We just got back from a stay at Jambo House DVC VILLAS, deluxe studio with a savanna view. We were on the Kudo trail. We loved every minute of our stay there. We saw giraffes and zebras everyday. They had also recently introduced wildebeests to the savanna and were able to watch the zebra drama surrounding it It was an amazing view, I think because we were close to the overlook from the main floor they keep the food fairly well stocked and that’s pretty much all the giraffes do, eat! We also loved the sky bridge, and the free laundry on the DVC floor!! It was a little far from everything else, but we really didn’t mind the walking at all. We also went down to Kidani for a pool day. Both pools are awesome. I loved our stay at Jambo and really didn’t want to leave. We had a Split stay at grand Floridian, we like the proximity to MK. I missed Jambo most of the time we were there. Jambo felt like home, and while the grand Floridian is beautiful it just felt different. We also enjoyed all our meals at AKL, and were a but disappointed in most of our meals in the MK area. Our favorites of the trip were Jiko and Sanaa. I tried to upload some pics, seems my files are too large? If anyone knows how to fix this, I’d be happy to post some pics of the views from our room!

Attachments

• 65C709BB-521E-402D-91F3-06FC8D4AF1BB.jpeg
    65C709BB-521E-402D-91F3-06FC8D4AF1BB.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 24
We just got back from a stay at Jambo House DVC VILLAS, deluxe studio with a savanna view. We were on the Kudo trail. We loved every minute of our stay there. We saw giraffes and zebras everyday. They had also recently introduced wildebeests to the savanna and were able to watch the zebra drama surrounding it It was an amazing view, I think because we were close to the overlook from the main floor they keep the food fairly well stocked and that’s pretty much all the giraffes do, eat! We also loved the sky bridge, and the free laundry on the DVC floor!! It was a little far from everything else, but we really didn’t mind the walking at all. We also went down to Kidani for a pool day. Both pools are awesome. I loved our stay at Jambo and really didn’t want to leave. We had a Split stay at grand Floridian, we like the proximity to MK. I missed Jambo most of the time we were there. Jambo felt like home, and while the grand Floridian is beautiful it just felt different. We also enjoyed all our meals at AKL, and were a but disappointed in most of our meals in the MK area. Our favorites of the trip were Jiko and Sanaa. I tried to upload some pics, seems my files are too large? If anyone knows how to fix this, I’d be happy to post some pics of the views from our room!

Thanks for the report! I totally feel the same way about akl. It just feels like home to me. I had our entire trip booked at bwv and I do love the walk to Epcot there but I was still longing for akl so had to split stay there. We’re just 29 days from our trip! Can’t wait!

@Meg5348 Thank You so much for the report! We are doing a split stay in August with only 3 days at AKL and then the rest at the Poly and I feel very much like you've stated, that I'm probably going to wish I hadn't left AK!! LOL! I've stayed here before however, and never at the Poly, I'm hoping the food options there are better than you experienced at GF.

@Meg5348 Thank You so much for the report! We are doing a split stay in August with only 3 days at AKL and then the rest at the Poly and I feel very much like you've stated, that I'm probably going to wish I hadn't left AK!! LOL! I've stayed here before however, and never at the Poly, I'm hoping the food options there are better than you experienced at GF.

We love it over by Poly/GF, just felt different after being at AKL. I love the walk between the 2 resorts, seeing the fireworks every night. We love O’Hana at the poly, we did breakfast and dinner this trip. We didn’t get to Kona his year, but have enjoyed it in years past. We also got dole whips from pineapple lanai. I guess my issue with the food was value. We did narocosses and Cali grill and felt, while we knew the prices going into it, the experience of the signatures just wasn’t worth it this time around. Our service at Jiko and Sanaa was the best of our trip. Sanaa may have been my favorite meal. Anyway, I could go on on and on about Disney haha. I hope you have a great trip!!

We love it over by Poly/GF, just felt different after being at AKL. I love the walk between the 2 resorts, seeing the fireworks every night. We love O’Hana at the poly, we did breakfast and dinner this trip. We didn’t get to Kona his year, but have enjoyed it in years past. We also got dole whips from pineapple lanai. I guess my issue with the food was value. We did narocosses and Cali grill and felt, while we knew the prices going into it, the experience of the signatures just wasn’t worth it this time around. Our service at Jiko and Sanaa was the best of our trip. Sanaa may have been my favorite meal. Anyway, I could go on on and on about Disney haha. I hope you have a great trip!!

The AK and AKL is often praised about some of the best on property! Mara the QS is excellent, up to Boma and Sanaa. The food is def worth the price!

Staying at Kidani villa but not as vacation club member. How often will mousekeeping clean the rooms?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter