Jambo or Kidani for resort only part of trip

Darth Insidious

Mouseketeer
Hi. My family is planning a trip next February. I want to make a decision before the 11 month booking window if I rent points.

We will stay at Shades of Green for the main trip (2 half days each MK, Epcot, HS, and a rest day). We want to move to Animal Kingdom Lodge at the end. We’d hit up AK park after checking out of SoG and then the next two days are just at the resort, flying out late the night of the second resort day. We would keep the room that night since the point is to relax and watch animals until we leave that evening and my husband wants the option to relax in the room.

2 adults and 3 kids ages 6, 12, and 14. The 6 year old’s favorite animal is the giraffe. We would get savanna view. I read somewhere that all Jambo House Savanna views have giraffes. Is that correct? I know 80% at Kidani do but I do think we’d be disappointed if there are no giraffes after spending that kind of money for a resort only stay.

We are switching to AKL at the end for the animal time and for the cultural aspect. Our kids are half black and want to learn about Africa. They know which specific countries their ancestors were from and would enjoy talking to CMs and checking out the African art collection and artifacts throughout the resort. Some day, maybe we can go to Africa, and I get that AKL isn’t a substitute for that, but hopefully the intent makes sense.

Option 1- rent points for a dedicated 2BR (want the two queen beds instead of sofa bed), putting us at Kidani I believe. More space. Don’t need the kitchen or washer and dryer at that point of the trip. Will be visiting Boma, Sanaa, and Jiko while we are there. I would request Sunset Savanna and lower floor. I would be kind of bummed if we didn’t get Sunset Savanna. Slightly bummed if high up and can’t see the animals well.

Option 2- get two savanna view rooms at Jambo. With the military discount, this will be roughly the same price, possibly more. Both rooms should have giraffes. Not sure of the chances of lower floor. Smaller balcony area when we will likely spend a lot of time chilling on the balcony. I would prefer the 2BR so we aren’t split up but that’s not a deal breaker.

Does Jambo have connecting rooms? Even just same hallway would be okay.

Thoughts? Any ideas of things not to miss at the resort? Will probably try the starlight safari for the older two.

So I am someone who has stayed at both Kidani and Jambo in 1BRs at each.
For the room itself, we loved Kidani's more than Jambo's. It has more a lot more space, and I think another bathroom. The Master Bathroom is very nice.
BUT
The resort itself there's almost no comparison between the two. Jambo is so nice to walk around and explore. Obviously you could walk there from Kidani if you wanted to, but it's different when you're staying there. And yes, at Jambo you do get a view with a standard view room (as opposed to ponying for a Savannah view). We saw all of the animals from our balcony (and my son dropped my iPhone from several stories up into a paddock lol). My wife and I debate it all the time when we're planning as to which one we prefer because there are draws and drawbacks to each.

So I am someone who has stayed at both Kidani and Jambo in 1BRs at each.
For the room itself, we loved Kidani's more than Jambo's. It has more a lot more space, and I think another bathroom. The Master Bathroom is very nice.
BUT
The resort itself there's almost no comparison between the two. Jambo is so nice to walk around and explore. Obviously you could walk there from Kidani if you wanted to, but it's different when you're staying there. And yes, at Jambo you do get a view with a standard view room (as opposed to ponying for a Savannah view). We saw all of the animals from our balcony (and my son dropped my iPhone from several stories up into a paddock lol). My wife and I debate it all the time when we're planning as to which one we prefer because there are draws and drawbacks to each.
Thank you. Sounds like Jambo might be better for the exploring the resort part. How high up were you (sorry for your phone!). Wondering if we should request a low floor to see animals better.

I think I wrote this on your other thread, but there are additional bathrooms at Kidani; and with the ages of your group, I would highly recommend extra bathrooms.

I think I wrote this on your other thread, but there are additional bathrooms at Kidani; and with the ages of your group, I would highly recommend extra bathrooms.
Thank you. I didn’t get any replies and found the other AKL thread so added it there. Then like 2 minutes later, someone replied to this one, lol. Oops!

Giraffes…. The best place to see them are at the main viewing areas around 5 Dinner time…. There will be a decent amount at either Kidani or Jambo, The main viewing area at Jambo is much nicer however the Arusha Savanna is limited with space so the Giraffe will be more eating and walking. The are more guides as well. Kidani has a much smaller main viewing area but on the Sunset savanana which is much longer and wider so may see giraffe running and being far more active. As far as the rooms you will see animals just not all the time and giraffe are the least likely to see although they will be there sometimes. The savannas although seeming different are all connected and all animals are free roaming…. With that where they will be other than above is subject to the food put out near where your room is, the weather think sun and shade rain and tree cover…. We prefer Jambo house but hands down a 2 bedroom at Kidani is far nicer than any non suite room at Jambo. All activities are at Jambo as well. If your idea is learn I would say Jambo look at the activity list and plan to spend a lot if time in different areas of the resort. Kidani does have a much better pool slide and splash area however so worth some time there as well.

Thank you. Sounds like Jambo might be better for the exploring the resort part. How high up were you (sorry for your phone!). Wondering if we should request a low floor to see animals better.
I want to say the 5th floor if memory serves? It was summer 2021 and it was a weird time. The gift shop was closed, the restaurants were closed and it was sort of a ghost town. The nice part of the resort is that it's not tall, so even at the top floor you can see a lot. Very peaceful, also if you're at Jambo you'll find yourself spending a lot of time in the lobby. There's a lot of educational material about the animals. there's a more close up area, then fireplaces, seats, restaurants.

Our family (of 4) would rather be in Jambo than having an extra bathroom. That lobby is fantastic and my DW said that there is no comparison walking into Kidani vs Jambo:)

Our family (of 4) would rather be in Jambo than having an extra bathroom. That lobby is fantastic and my DW said that there is no comparison walking into Kidani vs Jambo:)
LOL yeah def not a comparison in terms of lobbies, but the rooms themselves are noticeably bigger. Kidani's I think are wider too in the main space.

I want to say the 5th floor if memory serves? It was summer 2021 and it was a weird time. The gift shop was closed, the restaurants were closed and it was sort of a ghost town. The nice part of the resort is that it's not tall, so even at the top floor you can see a lot. Very peaceful, also if you're at Jambo you'll find yourself spending a lot of time in the lobby. There's a lot of educational material about the animals. there's a more close up area, then fireplaces, seats, restaurants.
Thank you. It looked like you had a great view. That makes me think maybe I shouldn’t worry that much about which floor.

Thanks for the info on Jambo lobby.

Giraffes…. The best place to see them are at the main viewing areas around 5 Dinner time…. There will be a decent amount at either Kidani or Jambo, The main viewing area at Jambo is much nicer however the Arusha Savanna is limited with space so the Giraffe will be more eating and walking. The are more guides as well. Kidani has a much smaller main viewing area but on the Sunset savanana which is much longer and wider so may see giraffe running and being far more active. As far as the rooms you will see animals just not all the time and giraffe are the least likely to see although they will be there sometimes. The savannas although seeming different are all connected and all animals are free roaming…. With that where they will be other than above is subject to the food put out near where your room is, the weather think sun and shade rain and tree cover…. We prefer Jambo house but hands down a 2 bedroom at Kidani is far nicer than any non suite room at Jambo. All activities are at Jambo as well. If your idea is learn I would say Jambo look at the activity list and plan to spend a lot if time in different areas of the resort. Kidani does have a much better pool slide and splash area however so worth some time there as well.
Thank you. The goals are definitely relax, learn about African culture, and see giraffes. Thanks for the 5:00 tip. I’ll make sure I schedule dinner after that.

Hi. My family is planning a trip next February. I want to make a decision before the 11 month booking window if I rent points.

We will stay at Shades of Green for the main trip (2 half days each MK, Epcot, HS, and a rest day). We want to move to Animal Kingdom Lodge at the end. We’d hit up AK park after checking out of SoG and then the next two days are just at the resort, flying out late the night of the second resort day. We would keep the room that night since the point is to relax and watch animals until we leave that evening and my husband wants the option to relax in the room.

2 adults and 3 kids ages 6, 12, and 14. The 6 year old’s favorite animal is the giraffe. We would get savanna view. I read somewhere that all Jambo House Savanna views have giraffes. Is that correct? I know 80% at Kidani do but I do think we’d be disappointed if there are no giraffes after spending that kind of money for a resort only stay.

We are switching to AKL at the end for the animal time and for the cultural aspect. Our kids are half black and want to learn about Africa. They know which specific countries their ancestors were from and would enjoy talking to CMs and checking out the African art collection and artifacts throughout the resort. Some day, maybe we can go to Africa, and I get that AKL isn’t a substitute for that, but hopefully the intent makes sense.

Option 1- rent points for a dedicated 2BR (want the two queen beds instead of sofa bed), putting us at Kidani I believe. More space. Don’t need the kitchen or washer and dryer at that point of the trip. Will be visiting Boma, Sanaa, and Jiko while we are there. I would request Sunset Savanna and lower floor. I would be kind of bummed if we didn’t get Sunset Savanna. Slightly bummed if high up and can’t see the animals well.

Option 2- get two savanna view rooms at Jambo. With the military discount, this will be roughly the same price, possibly more. Both rooms should have giraffes. Not sure of the chances of lower floor. Smaller balcony area when we will likely spend a lot of time chilling on the balcony. I would prefer the 2BR so we aren’t split up but that’s not a deal breaker.

Does Jambo have connecting rooms? Even just same hallway would be okay.

Thoughts? Any ideas of things not to miss at the resort? Will probably try the starlight safari for the older two.
One additional note. There is a dedicated shuttle that runs between Jambo and Kidani. If walking I think it’s about 10 minutes (others feel free to correct me). In addition to the shuttle, the Disney bus stops at Kidani 1st then Jambo second. I only mention the transportation/ walking because when we stayed at Kidani we were at the far far far end of the savanna view rooms. It was all in doors but quite a hike. I think by the end of the trip we figured out it was quicker to go to the basement parking area then walk out.

Either way both are nice resorts. Enjoy.

One additional note. There is a dedicated shuttle that runs between Jambo and Kidani. If walking I think it’s about 10 minutes (others feel free to correct me). In addition to the shuttle, the Disney bus stops at Kidani 1st then Jambo second. I only mention the transportation/ walking because when we stayed at Kidani we were at the far far far end of the savanna view rooms. It was all in doors but quite a hike. I think by the end of the trip we figured out it was quicker to go to the basement parking area then walk out.

Either way both are nice resorts. Enjoy.
Thank you!

A lot of people ask for second-floor rooms to get under the tree-branch level and be closer to the animals.

If you want to learn, you can hopefully find a ranger and strike up a conversation outside at Jambo. Those interactive conversations can be very educational.

They scatter food all around the Sunset Savanna for the giraffes. They are also seen on the other savannas (perhaps not on Pembe), but I am not familiar with them.
1673475061527-png.731306

Last edited:
A lot of people ask for second-floor rooms to get under the tree-branch level and be closer to the animals.

If you want to learn, you can hopefully find a ranger and strike up a conversation outside at Jambo. Those interactive conversations can be very educational.

They scatter food all around the Sunset Savanna for the giraffes. They are also seen on the other savannas (perhaps not on Pembe), but I am not familiar with them.
1673475061527-png.731306
Thank you. I will ask for a low floor. After seeing another post, it looks like the view is great even from higher up but my kid would absolutely love seeing a giraffe right by the balcony.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter