jambo/kidani?

Disneybridewifemama

DIS Veteran
we have reservations (our first time) at AKL Jambo. now that I've done more reading, it seems like we should have booked Kidani instead. I wasn't sure which was better and I read that Jambo has better savanna views. that's our main priority so I booked that. Ive now read that Jambo is close to closed right now because of covid. no shops, no food, quiet all over. We won't be needing food (we have groceries/park dining) so that doesn't concern me too much. but should I ask to move to Kidani? Will we be disappointed? I've always dreamed of staying here and I'm worried I picked the wrong building.

Im renting points, is asking to move buildings even an option?
thanks!!!

First timer? Definitely ask the owner if there is availability at Kidani.

From everything I’ve seen Jambo is missing most of the magic right now. Which makes it the perfect place for our resort only animal watching trip for our swimming and safari animal obsessed 3 year old who we aren’t even telling we’re in Disney this trip

But for looking for the Disney magic? Not Jambo, not right now at least

we have reservations (our first time) at AKL Jambo. now that I've done more reading, it seems like we should have booked Kidani instead. I wasn't sure which was better and I read that Jambo has better savanna views. that's our main priority so I booked that. Ive now read that Jambo is close to closed right now because of covid. no shops, no food, quiet all over. We won't be needing food (we have groceries/park dining) so that doesn't concern me too much. but should I ask to move to Kidani? Will we be disappointed? I've always dreamed of staying here and I'm worried I picked the wrong building.

Im renting points, is asking to move buildings even an option?
thanks!!!
When is your trip?

First timer? Definitely ask the owner if there is availability at Kidani.

From everything I’ve seen Jambo is missing most of the magic right now. Which makes it the perfect place for our resort only animal watching trip for our swimming and safari animal obsessed 3 year old who we aren’t even telling we’re in Disney this trip

But for looking for the Disney magic? Not Jambo, not right now at least

so is Jambo better for animal viewing?

it isn’t our first time to WDW but our first time at AKL. After two canceled aulani trips, this is how we’re using our rented points. It was such a nightmare experience, I’m not even sure How/who I can ask since I used a rental company

Do you have a savannah view?

I prefer the layout in Jambo studios, and the pool, and the hot tubs. If you really don’t need the food or the stores, my choice for a studio is always Jambo.

Do you have a savannah view?

I prefer the layout in Jambo studios, and the pool, and the hot tubs. If you really don’t need the food or the stores, my choice for a studio is always Jambo.

we do have a savanna view and from what I read before booking, it seemed like the Jambo savanna view was better. That’s why I booked that. But I’ve read so many negative things about Jambo because of Covid closures so now I’m second guessing. We definitely don’t need food but I would like a store (my daughter collects pins from every resort we’ve stayed at) so we’d love to be able to find one of those. But I could walk to kidanis store, I assume?

the savanna view is the biggest reason we’ve always dreamt of staying at this hotel.

Yes, you can walk to Kidani. I also think that the Disney Springs bus will stop at Kidani, and in normal times, there is also a dedicated van that goes back and forth from lobby.

The hot tubs at Jambo are very nice. One in particular is surrounded by greenery,

Yes, you can walk to Kidani. I also think that the Disney Springs bus will stop at Kidani, and in normal times, there is also a dedicated van that goes back and forth from lobby.

The hot tubs at Jambo are very nice. One in particular is surrounded by greenery,
Thank you!

Most Kidani savanna view rooms are great, especially as it's all DVC, so you might get a lower floor room. Jambo is just the top floors for DVC, lower floors are hotel rooms. Normally the perk for Jambo are the restaurants and big shop...but none of those will open until the hotel does. Our one stay at Jambo didn't have good savanna views. 3 stays at Kidani all had great views, even on the 5th floor. If there is still availability at Kidani, I would switch. The owner will have to modify the reservation. If you currently have a value room, it will cost more to switch to Kidani. Otherwise, the point cost should be the same.

Last edited:
Kidani savanna views are better, especially if you get a lower floor. You are more on eye-level with the animals. Jambo savanna view is not as great since they are on higher floors. The issue I have with booking a Kidani savanna view room is there is a chance you get the Pembe savanna which doesn't have zebras or giraffes.

Kidani savanna views are better, especially if you get a lower floor. You are more on eye-level with the animals. Jambo savanna view is not as great since they are on higher floors. The issue I have with booking a Kidani savanna view room is there is a chance you get the Pembe savanna which doesn't have zebras or giraffes.

... and as I have said elsewhere, the other animals are mostly like looking at deer and cows, so excitement level depends on what you routinely see at home.

OP, we always stay at Jambo but I hear your concern, especially with Mara being closed.
If you don't (or can't) switch, I can't imagine you will be disappointed. AK is beautiful. The pool at Jambo has flamingos next to it and often the larger animals walk down behind them where you can view.

OP, we always stay at Jambo but I hear your concern, especially with Mara being closed.
If you don't (or can't) switch, I can't imagine you will be disappointed. AK is beautiful. The pool at Jambo has flamingos next to it and often the larger animals walk down behind them where you can view.
This just made my day, thank you!

... and as I have said elsewhere, the other animals are mostly like looking at deer and cows, so excitement level depends on what you routinely see at home.
I guess that's why I wouldn't want to chance a savanna view at Kidani. I have lots of cows in my pasture (minus the giant horns though). When I go to AKV, I want the giraffes. Zebras are a nice bonus. OP, if you want to make sure to see these types of animals, stick with Jambo.
(We did chance a savanna view at Kidani once, and it was amazing since we were on the 2nd or 3rd floor and could lock eyes with the giraffes. I just would never want the Pemba savanna, so not sure I will ever chance it again. If you do decide to switch to Kidani and want giraffes and zebras, make sure to have the owner put in a request for the Sunset Savanna.)

I had to think about this for a bit. Whenever we stay at AKL I always try to choose Jambo over Kidani, but sometimes depending on availability that isn't always possible. Both resorts are beautiful, but Jambo's lobby is so much more impressive. I love Jambo's store, Zawadi Marketplace, over Kidani's Johari Treasures, in fact, it's my favorite resort store. I love that Jambo has the Mara and Boma. I love the fact that I don't have to walk across a parking garage to get to the pool at Jambo, like you have to at Kidani. I love Jambo's pool over Kidani's, as well as Jambo's two hot tubs. Having said all that, the fact that Zawadi Marketplace at Jambo House is closed, along with Mara and Boma (Jiko as well, but not my fav), having to choose between the two would be hard, but honestly, if you're not bothered by not having quick access to food and the store, I'd choose Jambo every time. Just the smell of burning leaves when you pull up to the resort, the majesty of the lobby, the huge windows looking out over the firepit and savanna, the amazing pool (my fav Disney resort pool), and hot tubs, gets me every time. I really feel like I'm away from it all when I'm there. Whichever resort you choose, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time!

I'm doing Jambo in November and I'm not really worried about the stores or dining being closed. I'm mostly afraid that Jambo may not have their big Christmas tree. CMs don't really seem to know at this point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter