Jamaica state of emergency

Three times in Italy we dealt with them why we were eating in a restaurant. I don't know why businesses allow this. My experience in Northern Europe was the same as yours.

Here is the deal with Italy. For instance if you are in Pisa or Rome and are in the major tourist spots you will find the overpriced and pushy restaurants and vendors. Walk a couple of streets away from the major attractions and you find a lovely non pushy Italy! At least that has been my experience. We spent a decent amount of time travelling around the smaller town and major cities and only experienced this pushiness in the biggest tourist spots.

Just cancelled our excursion. Ugh. We weren't planning on getting off in Cozumel either. Beginning to wish I hadn't booked this cruise . . .

We had a great time in Cozumel. Book an excursion as it will be more secure, but I would not stay on the boat since the ports are part of the fun and you paid port fees to boot.

We had a great time in Cozumel. Book an excursion as it will be more secure, but I would not stay on the boat since the ports are part of the fun and you paid port fees to boot.

I agree... Lots of fun and safe excursions to do in Cozumel! :)

Here is the deal with Italy. For instance if you are in Pisa or Rome and are in the major tourist spots you will find the overpriced and pushy restaurants and vendors. Walk a couple of streets away from the major attractions and you find a lovely non pushy Italy! At least that has been my experience. We spent a decent amount of time travelling around the smaller town and major cities and only experienced this pushiness in the biggest tourist spots.

When we were going to do the Med cruise in 2007, we kept reading all kinds of warnings about pick pockets in Italy, gypsies throwing jewelry at you and demanding money -- even one story that they throw their babies at you and when you catch, they rob you -- it can get extreme, but none of it kept us from going. We kept our belongings close at hand and never handed our camera to a stranger to take a picture. We did have a shipmate have their camera stolen off their neck though. Every port at some point or another can be a target for crime and thieves -- just keep your wits about you and stay alert. Don't let it make you so afraid you don't enjoy your travels.

Actually I just read Jamaica is going to keep their "Enhanced Security Level" through May. It wouldn't stop me from going on a Disney guided excursion there or to an all inclusive for a day pass. I think they are trying to really clean up organized and street crime in Jamaica. Those of you that feel safe in Cozumel know Mexican cartels have hung people(not tourists) from overpasses within the same distance to you that Falmouth port is to MoBay. Both are areas to keep your eyes open. Sadly the Caribbean is both the most beautiful place to me in the world and yet also one of the poorest. Best thing we can do is keep the good and friendly people on these islands employed so they have alternatives and a brighter future.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel...tended-may-uk-tourists-st-james-a8195696.html

It isn't going to stop us from doing an excursion in Falmouth, but then again I work on the south side of Chicago, so apparently I'm a risk taker!

I read A LOT of stories from tourists involving machetes in Jamaica. That's sad because it is a beautiful place. DH and I has a stop in Ocho Rios during our last cruise. We stayed in the port area to have a drink at Margaritaville (it was crazy enough just walking between the pier and the Island Village)... I was sad we did not do an excursion because the area looks amazing but maybe it's a good thing after all.
This was our experience in Ocho in 2006. We had not been able to dock at ant of our prior ports because of rough seas so we just wanted off the boat for a day.

I was just off a port stop in Jamaica 2 weeks ago. I didn't travel outside of port except my excursion. On my excursion to Bobsled and Dunn Falls I felt completely safe.

I did a walking culinary/heritage tour in Falmouth in January with Jamaica Culinary Tours. It was a great experience - we visited some really interesting places (a famous church, the courthouse, a couple of historic houses) and had 5 or 6 food tastings. The guides were absolutely amazing and the lead guide was from Falmouth and seemed to know everybody. Never felt unsafe and was glad to support the local economy as we were visiting vendors that don't do a lot of tourist trade because people don't leave the port. The tour was 2 hours at lunch-time and the guides met us by the ship. There's a lot of poverty in Falmouth - we saw that, but we also learned a lot about the history of the Parish and the country. This was the only excursion we did on a 7 day trip!

I agree... Lots of fun and safe excursions to do in Cozumel! :)

Second this! I stayed at a resort in Cozumel for a week and never felt unsafe. We traveled into town near the port and had no issues with safety. It's clear when the streets turn from "tourist" to "local" and that's when we would turn around and head back toward the water. Being aware of your surroundings and trusting your gut will generally keep you out of trouble!

Hi we just got back from a Western Cruise on the Fantasy, Cozumel was fun and felt very safe. We took a cab to the Mayan ruins and back into town for lunch and shopping. No problems at all. In Falmouth we did a DCL excursion to the Green Grotto Caves. Nice tour bus and great guides, no problems at the site. Only shopped in the gated port area. There were some passengers who ventured into the town.

Not to pile on to Jamaica, but I long ago stopped even going ashore when my cruise docked there. The only thing that made me change recently is the custom made for cruise ship port of Falmouth. We do get off the ship there, but only to shop in the secure area.

We had no issues at any port over Spring Break. Well, I wasn't too keen on the idea of the bus I rode in Jamaica honking around turns on the one way roads...everything was great. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter