I've stopped making ADRs because of the credit card policy, anyone else?

I’m ok with it, with one minor caveat: we are going for 4 weeks, so lots of ADRs, all of which are showing as £1 pending charges on my credit card. It’s not a massive deal, but it does mean that my credit card will not “balance” for the next few months as I will have about £30 in ADR guarantees outstanding.

It is becoming more common here to have to guarantee reservations, particularly in expensive or busy restaurants and at busy times of year. I think it makes a lot of sense, as people blowing off reservations hurts the restaurants and inconveniences potential customers who would have kept their reservations.

I’m ok with it, with one minor caveat: we are going for 4 weeks, so lots of ADRs, all of which are showing as £1 pending charges on my credit card. It’s not a massive deal, but it does mean that my credit card will not “balance” for the next few months as I will have about £30 in ADR guarantees outstanding.

It is becoming more common here to have to guarantee reservations, particularly in expensive or busy restaurants and at busy times of year. I think it makes a lot of sense, as people blowing off reservations hurts the restaurants and inconveniences potential customers who would have kept their reservations.

They aren't actually pending charges, they are holds. They do that to verify that the card you provided is valid. Holds usually fall off within a few days, and will not hit your actual statement.

Really doesnt bother us at all. We dont normally eat at the "must do's" or hard to get places. We usually make 2 or 3 reservations at the Swolphin restaurants or Waldorf/4 Seasons and then just go with the flow and see whats available day of while we are down there.

I haven't been a ton of times, but I made reservations the same for our 2009 trip as our 2011, 2015, and 2016.
(Well, 2009 had some experiment where CM and CRT were 180 days and everything else 90. In 2011, I booked in like March for July, so not as far in advance).
In other words, I've been booking in advance the places I want for 4 trips over a 7 year time period. I also always just booked what we actually wanted. I never booked BOG breakfast-lunch-dinner everyday of the trip just because. So the credit card policy has not impacted me at all unless it made it easier to get ADRs because fewer people were hoarding.

I have small children, and we don't go every year. Part of the vacation is eating with the characters and those hard to get meals, so I can't just wing it.

Last edited:
I have never had an issue with using my credit card for our reservations, I cancel them or re schedule them if needed etc. I didn't know that you could change the date of the reservation to a later date with in the 24 hour time frame though. That is good to know.

I made 3 ADRs for this past September. Now I only used Disney's system and since I had linked our CC to our account it was very easy to use that card for the ADR aspect. I saw no hassle with it.

I do understand why they do it and see no problem with it. I suppose the hassle could come in if you want to avoid the no-show fee/cancellation within 24 fee so you tinker with your ADR timing but even that I don't personally see as a hassle.

They aren't actually pending charges, they are holds. They do that to verify that the card you provided is valid. Holds usually fall off within a few days, and will not hit your actual statement.

Thank you! Yes, I know it’s common, but I have £30 of them and so far none have dropped off. It’s just annoying me that my credit card has all of these charges listed as “pending”. It’s good to hear that they should drop off soon. Anyway, I know it’s minor, and I will just have to live with it.8-)

We have a trip coming up, but I haven not made one dining reservation. On our last trip, I used Open Table or did same-day reservations. Every time I go to make a ressie, I remember about the credit guard guarantee, and I stop. I just don't want the hassle factor.

So we don't get the "prime" reservations, and we take what's available. Or we eat in our DVC villa or go offsite.

Has the credit card policy affected how you approach planning for your trips?

As long as you cancel 24 hours ahead of time, the credit card guaranteed doesn't matter at all. You almost certainly give a credit card guarantee when you book a hotel room or a rental car, what the big deal? THis actually is GOOD for the consumer because it keeps a lot people from making 4 or 5 ADRs and waiting until the last minute to decide which one they will actually use.

Yeah I'm far from a Disney apologist (look at my post history), and the CC thing doesn't bother me at all. Helps discourage people from blocking off a bunch of stuff then no-showing.

Many high-volume restaurants, cheap or expensive, in many other cities do the same thing, so it's not completely unheard of. Last, the "hack" is to modify the reservation to another future day, then cancel with no repercussions.

Nope. I can't imagine how this is even a problem or a "hassle."

We only make ADRs for places that we actually plan on eating at. We never no-show, and if we change our plans then we modify them.

I also have no problem with pre-paying for high profile meals like CRT. You pay when you reserve, if you have any discounts like TiW then you get credited when you dine - no fuss whatsoever.

I have no problem with the charge since you're taking a reservation you fail to show up for and that someone else may have wanted...why not? I also have called and cancelled within 12 hours while on my trip since I wasn't feeling well and the CM cancelled it without a charge. I think the policy is fair.

Last edited:
Nope not at all. My card is already saved for the rooms and it is very easy to finalize your plans 24 hours in advance to cancel. I think its a great policy to force people to cancel what they are not using.

I'm another one who has never been bothered by the policy. It's not a hassle for me. I usually know the day before what I'm going to be doing the next day. If I don't want to visit a park or I want to change my plans, I figure that out the day before anyway so its no issue to cancel an ADR if need be.

No problem for us either. We usually only make 1 or 2 ADRs per trip and we almost always show up for them. The one time we couldn't was when my DD got sick in the afternoon before our dinner ADR. I went to the concierge at the resort and explained what was happening and he cancelled our ADR and there was no charge to our card. Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not a big deal to me and once I got sick and had to call and cancel because it was the same day as my ADR. That was a pain because I'd gotten a stomach bug and was trying to deal with the phone and the bathroom at the same time. Not good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter