I've never seen Illuminations. Best secret spot?

rstevens333

Baby Monorail
The title says it all - Believe it or not, I love EPCOT but have never seen Illuminations... and the clock is ticking.

I'll have one opportunity next week if I can make it to 9pm. Where do you like to go to watch the show?

The biggest tip here is check to see which way the wind is blowing. If it is coming off the water towards you, move. Some of my favorite spots, well number one is at the Rose and Crown. I like to get an ADR for right around 7:30, and then when I check in, politely mention that if it would be possible to get a fireworks view table outside, I would be more than happy to wait.

Now then, our other favorite spots to watch are the landing below the bridge between UK and France (though this is sometimes used for private viewing events) and the little bit of land that juts out into the water in the Germany pavilion.

Thanks! It sounds like I won't need to "waste" a Fastpass.

I've heard good things about the elevated area behind Canada, but it sounds like being near the water is better.

I've heard good things about the elevated area behind Canada, but it sounds like being near the water is better.

I wouldn't do it as a FP unless I got it as a 4th or 5th FP for the day. And even then, it's a small area and the wind could be blowing directly toward you. Illuminations FP is, imo, one of the most useless FP's.

Definitely don't get a fastpass.

And yes, you'll want to be near the water. You need to be able to clearly see the center of the lagoon

We watched from France last week next to the crepe station. We noticed that a TON of people were parked near the showcase promenade - we figured for easy exit after ( these were the non-dessert or FP areas ) which opened up a lot of spots in the World Showcase area.

Our favorite spot is the center of the bridge between UK and France. Right above where the Illumination cruises tie up.

But as others have noted, the most important thing is to be upwind.

And do not waste a FP on Illuminations. There are plenty of good spots around the World Showcase.

For our viewing I aimed for anywhere inbetween Port of Entry and Disney Traders even if it means an obstructed view. Having the perfect view wasn't important to us. What was more important to us was a quick and easy exit from Epcot at closing beating the mad rush.

The railing by Italy is good. I really like the bridge between France and the UK. Usually not too crowded and you get a great view of everything.

What the other posters have said regarding being upwind of the show is correct and SO important; not only that the smoke will obscure your view, but one year when we were viewing Illuminations from near Rose and Crown, my DD got a spark in her EYE during the show. :scared: Thankfully, we had a water bottle handy and immediately flushed her eye but it was very scary and potentially very dangerous.

Now we watch from Canada. It's more of a side view--but we're okay with that since it's as close as we care to get to the show.

I wouldn't do it as a FP unless I got it as a 4th or 5th FP for the day. And even then, it's a small area and the wind could be blowing directly toward you. Illuminations FP is, imo, one of the most useless FP's.

I would also say that the FP+ area is PERFECT. We actually spent 3 nights at Epcot this past week, but we weren't there in the mornings, so our FP+ were for other parks. By the time we used our 3rd FP+ in another park, no really good FP+ were available, as we continually checked on the transportation on the way there. We were really only there to eat the food anyways! It was SUPER handy, as its a PERFECT spot, and even better for the mad rush to the buses afterwards. I would say that if you are in WS in the evening and aren't planning on going to ride any more rides, its SUCH a good FP+ to grab, you wouldn't be using another FP+ anyway, so why not? Its a good spacious area where you can sit down without feeling like you are in peoples' way, and then you're not on top of other guests. I actually got one each of the 3 nights we were in Epcot!

Though as some people have said, you don't need to be "close", our go to spot is usually Canad as well. In the FP+ area, I had to put my sunglasses on to be able to LOOK at the show, as its SUPER bright.

Sometimes we FP it if we have one left, why not, the area for FP viewing is awesome! However, most of the time we watch from Canada near the railing, great view! Enjoy!!!

So, there IS a perfect spot for Illuminations as determined by the show designers, however there's a catch. One, it is on the lowest portion near the water right at the front of the lagoon when coming in from Future World. There is a marker in the concrete there designating the best view. This area is roped off and often not opened depending on the wind. They get a yay or nay call about 5 minutes before the showtime and will let people in there if the Fire Marshall says it's okay. Also, this area is now in the FP viewing area, so you have to have an FP to even get a shot at this spot. The regular FP viewing area isn't bad though, but if they let you down to this area there's no beating it!

Note: These policies may have changed since I last experienced them, but it was this way for a while.

So, there IS a perfect spot for Illuminations as determined by the show designers, however there's a catch. One, it is on the lowest portion near the water right at the front of the lagoon when coming in from Future World. There is a marker in the concrete there designating the best view. This area is roped off and often not opened depending on the wind. They get a yay or nay call about 5 minutes before the showtime and will let people in there if the Fire Marshall says it's okay. Also, this area is now in the FP viewing area, so you have to have an FP to even get a shot at this spot. The regular FP viewing area isn't bad though, but if they let you down to this area there's no beating it!

Note: These policies may have changed since I last experienced them, but it was this way for a while.

That must be why there were people in that section standing for 30 min at the rope? haha I was cool with my spot middle of the hill dead center....haha

But that is neat to know!

That must be why there were people in that section standing for 30 min at the rope? haha I was cool with my spot middle of the hill dead center....haha

But that is neat to know!

Yes. They used to line up there very early before it was the FP area. Now, if you are in the FP area, they might let everyone down there, but might not. It seems like they don't more often than they do, making the view very special indeed. I have watched from there and it really is great, though there are other good spots all around the lagoon too, so it's not crucial.

Personally, the tip about making sure the wind is not in your face is the best tip. Usually the wind will be out of the south, so anything along the south side of the lagoon would be good. I like the spot between Germany and the African outpost. It is the farthest from both exits, so not many people are stationed there. Also, the closer you are to the pretzel cart, they start handing out free pretzels about 10 minutes before the show. That is my little secret. So if you want to watch the fireworks with a pretzel in your hand, that is your best bet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter