I've got free tickets to Disney World and I just can't anymore.

Disneyliscious

DIS Veteran
My family has 8, yes 8, 4 day tickets to DW that were comped to us in 2019 due to a disastrous trip and I just can't even bring myself to even try to look at going. I dont even visit these boards anymore (havent in a while now). I just cant get ANY level of excitement up with all the nickel and diming going on. What are you all doing to get the "feeling"?

We -are- going to Orlando this Fall but we'll be doing USO and Daytona Beach. I've TRIED to look past the ridiculous cost of DW but I just cant anymore.

My family has 8, yes 8, 4 day tickets to DW that were comped to us in 2019 due to a disastrous trip and I just can't even bring myself to even try to look at going. I dont even visit these boards anymore (havent in a while now). I just cant get ANY level of excitement up with all the nickel and diming going on. What are you all doing to get the "feeling"?

We -are- going to Orlando this Fall but we'll be doing USO and Daytona Beach. I've TRIED to look past the ridiculous cost of DW but I just cant anymore.

Watching some DW bloggers keeps me in the loop and makes me feel excited to go.

But, If you’re not feeling it, don’t go. Don’t force it. Just hang onto the tickets. Maybe one day you’ll be ready again. :goodvibes

I'm going on my 4th trip in a year next month, I still love going and still have the magic feeling. I guess maybe, for me, it's not about nickel and diming. I didn't buy genie + on my trip in Dec. and don't plan on buying it in April. Yes, resort prices have gone up. I'm doing a split stay of 2 nights at ASMov and 4 nights at Dolphin (who has also raised their prices). I have an AP so tickets are not an issue (as they won't be for you). Yes, food prices have gone up, but again so have the food prices here at home. We just went to Wendy's for take out - hubby got a chicken sandwich meal and I got a salad and it was $21. So, I don't really feel any nickel and diming.

They are understaffed and not everything is open, again, the same in my every day life. When I was there in December, which might be one of the most busy times of year, all the CMs were great. If anything, the guests were the worst part but the CMs were real troopers when dealing with them.

The magic is there, if you look past all the negative things you hear and just open up to it.

Agree. You should wait. Things are always changing at wdw and hopefully they will change for the better at some point. Go when you feel excited to go again. There are lots of other fun things to do and you are planning some of them already. We love UO! And though we haven’t been to Daytona, the beach is always fun. Hang onto those tickets for now and save them for when you will be excited to go. Have fun at UO and the beach!

You have to do what is best for you, but if you are waiting for things to go back to the way they were, IMO, they won’t. We have to adapt to the new Disney. We went 5 days in Sept and it was fine, we are going back 5 days in May. I was never one to go on about Disney ‘magic’ so I don’t need to do anything to get any ‘feeling’. We enjoy it for what it is. Good luck.

Did something happen the last time that you think might happen again? Is that a contributing factor?

I made a comment to a travel agent friend that the dissatisfaction is contagious. People read bad comments and it brings them down. Sounds like what happened here.

As for us, heading to Riviera in less than 3 weeks, can’t wait.

I made a comment to a travel agent friend that the dissatisfaction is contagious. People read bad comments and it brings them down. Sounds like what happened here.

As for us, heading to Riviera in less than 3 weeks, can’t wait.

This. I think when you hang around things like Disney Twitter or some other pages you can get a lot of negative feedback and feel like Disney has cheapened. Absolutely prices have raised for Disney, but Universal or even Seaworld aren't immune. They've had price increases on food, passes, hotels, etc. I just think a lot of that negative feedback gets amplified. Mix that with a negative experience you've had in the past and I can understand that feeling of wanting to not go back. There is definitely a bunch of other ways to spend money though that are just as fun if not more.

I've been going since it opened, going once a year when kids starting coming and when my oldest graduated high school .... he and I got APs. Since then (2006) we spend 4-6 weeks a year. In 2019 I hit the wall of no joy, mostly due to the behavior of other guests. My DS is disabled, considered non-verbal so I was always aware of all going on around me. We booked Disneyland! Well COVID hit, DL cancelled and we couldn't get AP and I couldn't make myself buy regular tickets. So after 2 years the entire family returned (July 2021) with regular tickets and we had a blast. DS and I got our AP again and have gone twice so far. Other DS just bought his and we all go in June (he is a teacher).

I don't know how you traveled to Disney before but we completely changed our style of visiting around 2015. At that point we stopped getting DDP and used TiW for discounts - we ate less, ate how we wanted and saved money. Then we realized that we'd rather drive to the parks (it was faster and private) and we'd rather eat at some nicer places with better food and more value offsite, and we wanted to always eat breakfast in room to save valuable time. We even started packing cooler so we had sandwich stuff, salad etc. At the time "security checks" started we had an awful experience so we moved offsite. We tried twice more onsite but decided it just wasn't a value for us. All offsite now in suites or condos ... an occasional room. Last July a 3 bedroom condo, November a 1 bedroom condo, January a 1 bedroom hotel suite and in June booked in a 2 bedroom condo. All costing a fraction of what Disney comparable lodging would have cost. It's way cheaper than a Disney Value.

We came to see that what we really loved was the parks, not just the obvious attractions, but talking to CMs, looking for the creative details, sitting on a bench with a snack, and not feeling pressure to get all these ADRs. We decided to wing it some days, who let us walk up and sit and only worrying about booking Sci Fi (been unable since returning). We stop and listen to music or street entertainment, we wander in shops even though we rarely buy anything, enjoy a bar or lounge for food & drinks, we hunt the special photo pass options. At festivals we do the activities, try a few fancy drinks and take off the pressure to do it all (even though we try).

Once we stopped equating a great trip with ... a Disney hotel, booking all the hard ADR, always eating to the max at the TS ..... all those things Disney wants you to spend on .................. we enjoyed our trips more, we spent a lot less money, we saw the small details that were special, we added some special events instead, we added Universal to trips ... we smelled the roses. We put so much pressure on trips to be perfect and when they aren't we feel we failed. All the nickel and dime is aggravating but most of it is quite optional. We just say every penny saved means we can go back sooner.

But I took that 2 years off, and was glad I did. Is it more crowded now than pre-COVID - YES! no matter what "stories" WDW is saying, but we go with a lower bar of what we will get done and who knows what special moments we might have.

Last two trips ~ we got a walk up into Space 220, we got to see our favorite artist to buy some pieces and he signed them to us, we spent a couple days with special Disney friends, we watched Harmonious twice one from a new location, we rode Remy for first time, we finally rode Rise, we did TSMM standby for the first time EVER and enjoyed the fun queue, we saw the new Jungle Cruise, we tested Genie+ and LOVED the photo filters ... each trip our goal is something new and we always manage.

We go back in June and will visit the water parks for first time in maybe 7 years! We are happy to be in the parks period, we don't need all the other expensive components or nickel and dimes - we chose what we want to enjoy, most a decision made that week.

We can't control ticket prices, there is rarely a deal but we can control every single other cost involved. Saving in some areas lets us spend more in others and we just don't worry about the new costs because we take ownership of what we spend. What we did to get the feeling was change up how we were doing it, what our focus was and slowing it down to enjoy other things. I mean if all I wanted to do was stand in lines and go on rides I could go to Six Flags. Don't get me wrong, we ride plenty of them every day, but we also last longer by slowing down and doing other things too.

If you were buying tickets I would for sure say wait .... but free tickets, why not stay offsite and change your focus.

Last edited:
Do what's right for you.

Be HAPPY that you've identified Wallyworld is not right for you, instead of spending too much money and being disappointed. Do better things, and do them proudly.

I've been going since it opened, going once a year when kids starting coming and when my oldest graduated high school .... he and I got APs. Since then (2006) we spend 4-6 weeks a year. In 2019 I hit the wall of no joy, mostly due to the behavior of other guests. My DS is disabled, considered non-verbal so I was always aware of all going on around me. We booked Disneyland! Well COVID hit, DL cancelled and we couldn't get AP and I couldn't make myself buy regular tickets. So after 2 years the entire family returned (July 2021) with regular tickets and we had a blast. DS and I got our AP again and have gone twice so far. Other DS just bought his and we all go in June (he is a teacher).

I don't know how you traveled to Disney before but we completely changed our style of visiting around 2015. At that point we stopped getting DDP and used TiW for discounts - we ate less, ate how we wanted and saved money. Then we realized that we'd rather drive to the parks (it was faster and private) and we'd rather eat at some nicer places with better food and more value offsite, and we wanted to always eat breakfast in room to save valuable time. We even started packing cooler so we had sandwich stuff, salad etc. At the time "security checks" started we had an awful experience so we moved offsite. We tried twice more onsite but decided it just wasn't a value for us. All offsite now in suites or condos ... an occasional room. Last July a 3 bedroom condo, November a 1 bedroom condo, January a 1 bedroom hotel suite and in June booked in a 2 bedroom condo. All costing a fraction of what Disney comparable lodging would have cost. It's way cheaper than a Disney Value.

We came to see that what we really loved was the parks, not just the obvious attractions, but talking to CMs, looking for the creative details, sitting on a bench with a snack, and not feeling pressure to get all these ADRs. We decided to wing it some days, who let us walk up and sit and only worrying about booking Sci Fi (been unable since returning). We stop and listen to music or street entertainment, we wander in shops even though we rarely buy anything, enjoy a bar or lounge for food & drinks, we hunt the special photo pass options. At festivals we do the activities, try a few fancy drinks and take off the pressure to do it all (even though we try).

Once we stopped equating a great trip with ... a Disney hotel, booking all the hard ADR, always eating to the max at the TS ..... all those things Disney wants you to spend on .................. we enjoyed our trips more, we spent a lot less money, we saw the small details that were special, we added some special events instead, we added Universal to trips ... we smelled the roses. We put so much pressure on trips to be perfect and when they aren't we feel we failed. All the nickel and dime is aggravating but most of it is quite optional. We just say every penny saved means we can go back sooner.

But I took that 2 years off, and was glad I did. Is it more crowded now than pre-COVID - YES! no matter what "stories" WDW is saying, but we go with a lower bar of what we will get done and who knows what special moments we might have.

Last two trips ~ we got a walk up into Space 220, we got to see our favorite artist to buy some pieces and he signed them to us, we spent a couple days with special Disney friends, we watched Harmonious twice one from a new location, we rode Remy for first time, we finally rode Rise, we did TSMM standby for the first time EVER and enjoyed the fun queue, we saw the new Jungle Cruise, we tested Genie+ and LOVED the photo filters ... each trip our goal is something new and we always manage.

We go back in June and will visit the water parks for first time in maybe 7 years! We are happy to be in the parks period, we don't need all the other expensive components or nickel and dimes - we chose what we want to enjoy, most a decision made that week.

We can't control ticket prices, there is rarely a deal but we can control every single other cost involved. Saving in some areas lets us spend more in others and we just don't worry about the new costs because we take ownership of what we spend. What we did to get the feeling was change up how we were doing it, what our focus was and slowing it down to enjoy other things. I mean if all I wanted to do was stand in lines and go on rides I could go to Six Flags. Don't get me wrong, we ride plenty of them every day, but we also last longer by slowing down and doing other things too.

If you were buying tickets I would for sure say wait .... but free tickets, why not stay offsite and change your focus.

Thank you for this. It gives me hope.

We have always stayed off site since 1989 because its simply less expensive, every time. Only in 2019 did we stay on side and use the DDP for the first time - loved both - but can't shell out that kind of money again for a trip (even with free park tickets).

I guess the real thing that gets me is that no one in my party of 8 has ever ridden: 7DMT, SDD, RotR, FoP, (half rode Navi), or even TSMM - despite at least 5 trips. Yes, we could have waited in 3+ hour long lines (and half of them did for Navi) and it was our choice not to wait in 3+ hour long lines because paying near $200 pp for 2 rides in a day just is not appealing. But that still doesnt take away, for us, the utter disgust of lines that long. I can do an hour. An hour is reasonable for a top ride but never in my life will I wait on any ride for over 3 hours. And while 7DMT isn't 3 hour waits, we only visit MK during MNSSHP and well, if you were there in 2019 you'd understand the crap show that party was.

Our comp tickets expire at the end of 2023 so we'll probably go back. My goal is to use the tickets and not spend one single dollar inside DW (except for parking which I can't really avoid) which is very do-able if we bring our food.

I really appreciate your suggestions. Will def look into some of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter