• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"It's your thing"

Sparx

DIS Veteran
My old english teacher said that to me today. She had been forwarded an essay I wrote (I mentioned her in it) she found me during lunch and said "shelby, that was fantastic" I said "I've not gotten it back yet" she said "yeah, those take awhile to grade" Then I mentioned how I turned it in a couple days early she said "well writing is your thing."

So that got me thinking. I guess writing is my "thing". I remember being six or seven and writing "stories" on an old manual type writer I kept under my bed. I did that until I had ready access to a computer for extended periods (about 5th grade) I wrote a 115 page story in 7th grade, then I experimented with poetry for a year and a half. Then I did mostly essays and short stories. I'm working on one as it is, actually. I read daily. I'm on a first name basis with the school librarian (wait, let me add those nerd points to my card)

So yeah, I guess writing is my "thing".

Do you have a "thing"? If so, what?

I have no talent.
I hate it when people try to back me up by saying things like
'Oh you're smart.'
That's nothing special, there are a lot of smart people. And that's a very general saying.
'Oh you're good at [volleyball, graphic design, etc]'
It's something I do in my spare time. I'm not anywhere near good.

Some of my best friends have a hard time trying to find anything. I've been looking for years for something, but nothing has come. I have no passion, I have no specific hobby, I have no talent.
Not finding something I love, is right up there on my fear list.

When I was a stupid, young pup, we had just came back from Disney World, and I was laying on my back crayon-ing...?....on the the wall, like Michale Angelo. Man I was dumb

Writing and photography (when I actully make an attempt at taking the photos. Meaning, if I'm walking around Disney, we have half a day at each park so I'm walking quickly from one thing to another and taking pictures at the same time so I'm not really applying anything to it.).

Oh, and trivia. I'm really great at retaining those tidbits of info that you'd never ever need to know.

Glad you found your "thing" Shelby :)

I'd have to say dancing is my thing. I love it and it's like, my passion. I want to go to a Performing Arts school, and dance. I want to teach at a dance studio, and dance. And then I want to open my own studio, and dance. It's my life.

hmm... i would say at the moment photography. I seem to want to bring my camera everywhere in case something happens (though, being me, i forget to bring it most of the time...) and there are times where i look out the window of the car and say "that would make a good photo". I wish i hadmy camera with me at the time we went to Florida last year (i had it but it was in my suitcase so i couldn't get it out) and as we were out before sunrise i spent the whole trip watching it change colours wishing i had my camera with me...

hurray pointess story.

sports.

sports knowledge, playing the sport, knowing the rules.

whatever.

i've got a knack for it.

and yeahhh i might be a girl. but sooo what?

hmm... i would say at the moment photography. I seem to want to bring my camera everywhere in case something happens (though, being me, i forget to bring it most of the time...) and there are times where i look out the window of the car and say "that would make a good photo". I wish i hadmy camera with me at the time we went to Florida last year (i had it but it was in my suitcase so i couldn't get it out) and as we were out before sunrise i spent the whole trip watching it change colours wishing i had my camera with me...

hurray pointess story.

Ditto - I know exactly what you mean! I remember when I went down to Florida last year on a plane and it was really late and we were going over some body of water and the sky was super clear and it was a full moon and it had the most gorgeous reflection off the water. Unfortunatly, like you, my camera was in my suitcase. It's a sight I'll never forget.

Ditto - I know exactly what you mean! I remember when I went down to Florida last year on a plane and it was really late and we were going over some body of water and the sky was super clear and it was a full moon and it had the most gorgeous reflection off the water. Unfortunatly, like you, my camera was in my suitcase. It's a sight I'll never forget.

I've learned to never put a camera in my suitcase, and to always have it on me when I'm not home. I mean really, you could miss as you said, beautiful things.

writing
being creative :goodvibes
acting ( sounds like i'm bragging but i do have a natural talent)

Definitely not writing, sports or mathematics.
Just because I'm in Advanced Mathematics doesn't mean I'm good, it means I use my resources. Our answers are at the back of our book so I just look them up after I'm done. I fix my problem and ta-da. {Well, that's the case with homework}. With tests, the past few years I've been allowed to use notes on them, so I just take extremely detailed notes.

I guess I'm OK at piano. If I thought I were good, I'd say I was good. I haven't played in over a month and a half *gasp!* because we're outta a teacher and I haven't had much inspiration to play because my best friend has been taken over by a girl who hates me so he's not been the same. I'm not gonna give up, of course. But it's hard.

Keeping things together, like friendships [mine or other people's]... I guess I'm good at that. I can keep other people's friendships together better than I can, though.

I'm VERY into music and it's mainly metal, punk, rock and the kind people would classify as "emo" music. That keeps me going, makes me go to sleep, helps me relax, gets me pumped up, makes me happy, reminds me of people I no longer have, it's pretty much my life.

I like to act, I'm not sure if I'm good at it. Ok. Yes. I'm pretty amazing at it and yes.......

Hmm...I guess my "thing" is sports. I've always been good at sports right away. It's always been easy for me to start a new sport, pick it up right away, and excel at it.

I'm also great a retaining completely useless information, especially about Disney..lol

As weird as it may sound,I am very good at hula-hooping.

I was the champion in camp:3dglasses but it was weird because that year before summer camp I could not hula-hoop for meh life!lol

I don't have a thing. People always call me "smart", but really I'm not that smart. Just because I make good grades on things, doesn't mean I know a lot of information. I don't absorb things. I'm not dumb, I'm just average.

So, like I said, I don't have a "thing". I hope I do, one day, find a passion though. Something I live for.

I thought my passion was fighting child abuse, but over the years, with all my volunteering, I've just been worn down from it. I couldn't emotionally handle it. I don't care about it as much as I used to.

So now, I'm back to square one. Trying to find myself.

Please do.

Alrighty.
I've been playing the piano since I was six. My dad signed me up for lessons, pretty much against my will. Even when I moved, when I was seven, and we couldn't find a teacher, I kept playing. I was able to pick up on some songs pretty quickly. By the time I was about nine or ten, I was able to transpose a couple, simple songs to different keys. (And I had no idea what I was doing.)

I started playing the clarinet when I was 11. The day I got my clarinet, I could play the entire lower register, and a couple songs from memory, from the piano. I was a year behind everyone else in my grade.

When I was 12, I faced a huge decision, should I continue to take ballet (which was getting more intense than I wanted to be), or stick with the piano or clarinet? I think you all know what I chose. ;) Piano was going really well, and I managed to snag second chair in my school's concert band. I was able to participate in the 7 & 8 grade band, when I was in sixth. (That is a huge honor.)

I could go on and on about music. To finish off, music is what makes me happy. Music makes me, me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter