It's time for Draconian Chinese measures in this country!

avengerspoilerer

Mouseketeer
It is time to be pro-active and not reactive. We are just about 11 days behind Italy as far as cases and those numbers are probably 10 times more than the numbers show because we are not testing. It is time for all states and cities to order a shelter in place for three weeks to slow the spread of this virus. We need contact tracing, we need more testing and we need more people to just stay home. The crowded beaches in Florida show people just do not get it.

The sick and dying are going to overwhelm our nation's hospitals and our medical staff is going to have to make difficult decisions who lives or dies.

Got COPD? You don't get treatment.

Insulin Dependent Diabetes? You don't get treatment

Smoker? You don't get treatment

Immunocompromised? You don't get treatment.

Imagine having funerals for loved ones you cannot even attend. This is a crisis that will get worse, far worse, before it gets better. I was called all sorts of names for staying that WDW and DL would be shutting down and weeks later I was proven sadly right.

Please say home and avoid people. For introverts this is easy, but for others it will be difficult.

Shelter in place now for three weeks and we can slow this spread. No human hosts, no transmission and the virus dies!

States are shutting down. But, if they want people to stay home they will have to institute some kind of state or federal penalties or limits like they are doing on non-essential companies. People aren't staying out of the stores. And if you need essential items you probably will have to go out.

This was all about flattening the curve. Now people are afraid of getting it at all. I have bad new folks, flattening the curve does not mean stopping the disease. Many of you are going to get it and many more older folks will die waiting for a vaccine. We are just trying to slow the progression so that medical facilities can keep up to a point.

At what point does the cure become worse than the disease? Is 20% (or more) unemployment "worth it"? I truly don't know. But I do think the question needs to be asked.

I agree. I am very worried about the social and economic impacts more than the virus at this point. There are families who simply will not bounce back from being out of work indefinitely.

It is time to be pro-active and not reactive. We are just about 11 days behind Italy as far as cases and those numbers are probably 10 times more than the numbers show because we are not testing. It is time for all states and cities to order a shelter in place for three weeks to slow the spread of this virus. We need contact tracing, we need more testing and we need more people to just stay home. The crowded beaches in Florida show people just do not get it.

The sick and dying are going to overwhelm our nation's hospitals and our medical staff is going to have to make difficult decisions who lives or dies.

Got COPD? You don't get treatment.

Insulin Dependent Diabetes? You don't get treatment

Smoker? You don't get treatment

Immunocompromised? You don't get treatment.

Imagine having funerals for loved ones you cannot even attend. This is a crisis that will get worse, far worse, before it gets better. I was called all sorts of names for staying that WDW and DL would be shutting down and weeks later I was proven sadly right.

Please say home and avoid people. For introverts this is easy, but for others it will be difficult.

Shelter in place now for three weeks and we can slow this spread. No human hosts, no transmission and the virus dies!

This virus isn't going to jut die off and like the pp said that isn't the reason why we are trying to flatten the curve. You do understand that the "area" under the curve, as in the amount of people who get sick, will be the same whether the curve is a sharp peak or not, right. It's all about slowing it as to not overwhelm our healthcare system.
We should definitely do our part, but this virus isn't going to die because there are no human hosts out there to infect, that is impossible at this point.

When or if this happens I wonder will their be food trucks that drive around. I have food for my family to eat but I can almost guarantee most of those around me do not. Some will have a couple days or at most a weeks worth of groceries. Poor planning mostly but it is what it is.

When or if this happens I wonder will their be food trucks that drive around. I have food for my family to eat but I can almost guarantee most of those around me do not. Some will have a couple days or at most a weeks worth of groceries. Poor planning mostly but it is what it is.
There's no shortage of food. I buy in bulk anyways. I've got a bag of rice and restaurant flour. I should have no problem buying more, although they sometimes sell out.

There's no shortage of food. I buy in bulk anyways. I've got a bag of rice and restaurant flour. I should have no problem buying more, although they sometimes sell out.
As do I, I have frozen deer meat that I could eat for a year as long as I don’t loose electricity, even then I have laying chickens, a garden, and a well stocked fish pond on my property so I could eat for the rest of my life if I had to, but their are those that don’t have food for 3 days at their house. If they issue a curfew, or something like it, does that close stores like wal mart? If they can’t go out to the store, what do they do? Some people no matter how many times you tell them never prepare.

Even all the shelter in place orders I have seen instituted or proposed allow going out for food. Just take precautions while out. If we can't even go grocery shopping, we might as well hang it up.

People act as if humans are so special. We see a whole tree species die of a blight and think stupid trees.

I don't believe there is any reason for panic, or to shelter in place. I plan on working at home most of the time, and going into the office when I have to. We only have about 2 weeks worth of food, with no place to store more. So at some point, I need to get out for more groceries. I will still visit my elderly father at his home on weekends. Still walk our dogs. Still order out from restaurants that can accommodate. Still shop on-line.

Sure, it will take time to recover, but life will go on for most of us. It's not the end of the world.

I'm still going out for walks everyday.
Stopping in a store if we need something.
Renting movies at RedBox.
Pick up take-out to support our local restaurants.

There really aren't that many people out to be honest. Not hard to stand 6 ft away from people at the stores.

As do I, I have frozen deer meat that I could eat for a year as long as I don’t loose electricity, even then I have laying chickens, a garden, and a well stocked fish pond on my property so I could eat for the rest of my life if I had to, but their are those that don’t have food for 3 days at their house. If they issue a curfew, or something like it, does that close stores like wal mart? If they can’t go out to the store, what do they do? Some people no matter how many times you tell them never prepare.

We have a shelter at home order in my county, but supermarkets, discount stores, and even many restaurants are still open. I can still go to Costco. They're considered essential businesses and are allowed to remain open. However, most dining areas seem to be closed and restaurants are supposed to be open for takeout. I did a McDonald's mobile order with delivery to my car in the parking lot. Drive-thrus are still open.

Certainly it's been different in France or Italy. I heard in Italy someone is supposed prepare a self-issued permit of some kind with the reason for being outside of the home. Essential workers are allowed to work and people can go out to buy supplies.

I don't believe there is any reason for panic, or to shelter in place. I plan on working at home most of the time, and going into the office when I have to. We only have about 2 weeks worth of food, with no place to store more. So at some point, I need to get out for more groceries. I will still visit my elderly father at his home on weekends. Still walk our dogs. Still order out from restaurants that can accommodate. Still shop on-line.

Sure, it will take time to recover, but life will go on for most of us. It's not the end of the world.

No, it is not the end of the world. Panic will not solve anything. But staying at home and only going out if necessary is prudent right now. Of course, grocery shopping is absolutely necessary. I have been out twice this week (once for myself, and then the next day when my mom and neighbor didn't receive all of their items through home delivery from Kroger.)

The one thing I did NOT do? Stop in and visit with my mom and my neighbor. I left their items by the front door, and they Clorox wiped them down afterwards. Overly cautious? Not really. Both are in their 70's and they are listening to the CDC on what they should do. (FWIW, my mom is a physician. She isn't messing around.)

Personally, I would strongly reconsider a visit with your father, but I cannot tell you what to do. However, I know I would feel horrible if I unknowingly passed it on to anyone ... especially the elderly.

No, it is not the end of the world. Panic will not solve anything. But staying at home and only going out if necessary is prudent right now. Of course, grocery shopping is absolutely necessary. I have been out twice this week (once for myself, and then the next day when my mom and neighbor didn't receive all of their items through home delivery from Kroger.)

The one thing I did NOT do? Stop in and visit with my mom and my neighbor. I left their items by the front door, and they Clorox wiped them down afterwards. Overly cautious? Not really. Both are in their 70's and they are listening to the CDC on what they should do. (FWIW, my mom is a physician. She isn't messing around.)

Personally, I would strongly reconsider a visit with your father, but I cannot tell you what to do. However, I know I would feel horrible if I unknowingly passed it on to anyone ... especially the elderly.

To the bolded - I do think getting outside for a walk, even for just 30 minutes, is a good thing for everyone. No need to stay cooped up inside your house.
I'm not saying go to a park and congregate, but just walk around the neighborhood.

Go for a bike ride on a trail if you have one near you.

Go for a hike in the woods.

Lots of things you can do alone outside. :)

To the bolded - I do think getting outside for a walk, even for just 30 minutes, is a good thing for everyone. No need to stay cooped up inside your house.
I'm not saying go to a park and congregate, but just walk around the neighborhood.

Go for a bike ride on a trail if you have one near you.

Go for a hike in the woods.

Lots of things you can do alone outside. :)

Oh yes, I agree.

I am talking about going to public places with people. I can't here as everything is closed, but I know many states are still open for business. (Florida I'm looking at you!)

You can't really compare the cases in the US against the cases in Italy. First off, as of today, Italy has 35,713 cases with 2,978 deaths. The US is at just 8,020 cases and 125 deaths. That's an 8% mortality rate for Italy and just 2% for the US. The total infection rate for Italy is 0.059% while the US is at 0.0024%. When you look at hospital beds per capita, yes, Italy has a higher rate at 3.18, but, the US has a rate of 2.77 beds per 1,000 residents. So, Italy has a total of 192K beds to the US having 912K beds.

However, the bigger question is how many ICU/Critical Care beds are available. The US has 34.7 ICU beds per 100K citizens, while Italy has just 12.5, that's a vast difference.

In Italy, 1/4 of the population is 65 or older, the very group that is most at risk. In the US, only 15% of our population is 65 or over.

When you look at raw numbers, we're close to Italy on 3/9, but even then, they had 7,400 cases for an infection rate of 0.012% and had 463 deaths for a mortality rate of 6%, so even comparing raw numbers, we're not close to what Italy was 10 days ago.

Is it dire? Not really. This is a smaller infection than our yearly flu, we have yet to see how it plays out, but to go to the extreme of welding people into their houses to prevent infections is a step too far. We're already taking measures to flatten the curve and have a better healthcare system in place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter