It's Prom Time!

Jodi, god, how did you not lock her up all these years??? She's gorgeous! That's a nice ride too. Whose is it? :lmao:

Why on earth are we having the prom on a Friday? All the kids who are going get an early dismissal from school at 10:00 am. Why bother? Oh well. It's just silly.

Ckay, I don't know, honestly. Maybe you can see if that school is having a grand march and that way you can at least be there for that and check out the environment. My son is 18, so the very little control I have is over my car, which he wants to borrow. I'm so worried about those kids deciding to drink that night. It's nothing new -- I know I had a bottle of Jack for my senior prom. :sad2: They're not having an after prom, unfortunately.

JodiR-Stunning! Makes me wish (for the first time) that I had a daughter.

I'm a little late to the party here, but DS, in 10th grade, was just invited to a Sr. prom at another school. He's pretty casual about it, but I keep telling him that he (WE) has work to do. He's not even "sure" of the date. I feel stupid nagging him about HIS event, but no kidding....he'll tell me on a Wednesday that he needs a tux for Saturday! :headache::headache:

Any advice on how to make sure the kids are being safe when the big event is at another school, with families you don't really know? I'm struggling with this. If it was our school, I feel I'd have more control, more knowledge, you know?

I love all the pictures. We didn't have such fabulous dresses in my day. We had dopey frilly stuff, not these sleek, classy gowns. Or maybe I don't remember.

Our district (and others) you have to have a permission form filled out for any school event you want to attend like a dance where you aren't a student.

You usually don't have much control over prom....no matter whether it's your school or not :lmao:

Biggest thing to find out is date, where it's being held, where they plan on eating, what time it is being held and if there is an after prom party.

I have a question for everyone. I'm just curious. Do your proms include dinner or is it just a dance?

I went to a few proms and formals and they were always a dinner plus a dance. Recently I was talking to a group of people, most who went to bigger schools, and they said the prom was just a dance. They went to dinner on their own.

I'm just curious.

My daughter had her senior prom last weekend. She's more of a laidback person, so I was surprised when she asked me about prom dresses. We went to the mall on a Saturday, and I fully expected that we would end up driving to Indy (1 1/2 hours away) to look at the malls there since we wouldn't find anything at our local mall. Well, we went through Sears when we got there, and a long silvery black dress caught her eye. She tried it on and loved it! $100 later, and we're on our way out the door. (We did look at the other stores in the mall, but she was happy with the dress.)

1 1/2 weeks later, I went with her to get advising and to registere for her fall classes for college. We got there early, so we walked through a nearby mall. They've got a Dilliard's store, which we don't have near us. She spied the prettiest cobalt blue dress with sparkles all over, and went to try it on. It had just been marked down to $100. We bought the dress.

She modeled both dresses for her best friends, and they all agreed (as did I) that the blue dress was the one. (I took back the black dress for a full refund.)

She let me do her hair in loose curls, and makeup. She never wears makeup, so I basically just did her eyes. She looked beautiful.

She hates heels, and most girls take their shoes off at the prom anyway after dancing just a little bit, so she asked if she could wear her favorite shoes. The dress was long enough to cover her feet, so I said OK. She wore her "constipated frog" tennis shoes. (Union Bay brand--very cute. They don't really look constipated to me!)

She went to the prom with a group of 9 others, male and female, and said she had a good time.

After getting her ready, and sending her off, one of my co-workers and I went out to do home visits with some of our clients. (We're juvenile probation officers and we do random home visits.)

Since we were out anyway, we decided to stop by the prom since a few of our clients were supposed to be there and we wanted to verify as we were letting them stay out after curfew due to prom. We took off our bulletproof vests, went in and checked on the kids about 1 hour before it was supposed to end, and I showed off my daughter in her dress to my partner.

All the girls looked so beautiful in their dresses, although there were a few that looked like they were about to explode out the top of the dress bodice. Most of the girls had taken off their shoes, but not my daughter!

The guys looked debonair. Mostly black or white tuxes, although we did a have a couple guys come as "Dumb and Dumber", one in a powder blue tux, and one in an orange tux, complete with top hats. Where he got an orange tux, I have no clue!

And the local proms in our area are just a dance. Most go out to dinner beforehand on their own.

There's an After-Prom afterwards (duh). It's been held at the local girl's club, which has game rooms, TV/movie rooms, gyms, etc. It goes from 1 am until 6 am.

Thanks everyone for the compliments. She is a really lovely girl with a heart of gold.

That is mine and my dh's car.... a 2008 GT Mustang Convertible. I didn't let her take it. I just wanted her picture with it.

I have a question for everyone. I'm just curious. Do your proms include dinner or is it just a dance?

I went to a few proms and formals and they were always a dinner plus a dance. Recently I was talking to a group of people, most who went to bigger schools, and they said the prom was just a dance. They went to dinner on their own.

I'm just curious.

ours has never included dinner....I can't imagine trying to come up with a meal 100's of kids would be willing to eat.

Here is my DD trying on her dress for the 100th time. Her prom is this Saturday.

001.jpg

Penny

that is a beautiful dress and girl!! She looks very happy. :goodvibes

How pretty! I love that dress. :)

My son went and tried his tux on today. Of course there were a bunch of guys there laughing at each other. Boys are so stupid. :lmao:

I couldn't get over how incredibly handsome he looked! That tux fit him perfectly and didn't need any alterations. He's such a tall, slim kid and he normally wears schlumpy baggy pants and nasty tee shirts. Seeing him look like that just brought tears to my eyes!

I'll definitely be posting pics tomorrow, though maybe with his date's face blocked out. She's a gorgeous girl, but I'm not sure she'd appreciate being on here. I guess I could ask her.

Penny she looks stunning! I love the color. It's great on her. And hello blingity bling. I love the pull-ups.

Thank you all. She is sooo excited. This is their first prom. :cloud9:

Here juniors and seniors attend the prom. It is held at the high school gym. DD is on prom committee and they will spend all day tomorrow decorating.

Saturday she has a hair appointment at 1:00. Then she'll come home to get dressed and be ready to be picked up by a Limousine at 4:00, lucky them - a friends Dad arranged it as a treat for his son and seven of his friends. I called and offered to help pay but he refused so (since he and his wife will be out of town this weekend) I am going to take some pictures of his son and date for him.

The Limo will take them to a nearby public garden for pictures and then to dinner. After dinner it will deliver them to their school for prom. At 10:45 parents can come in to take pictures.

Usually someone has an after prom party but this year no one has offered. Too much responsibility I think.

Penny

OMG, my son is so difficult to photograph! :lmao: You should see some of the faces he makes. And he wonders why I have to take a ton of pics just for a couple of good ones. :laughing:I don't have a single one where they are both smiling and looking right at my camera. Here are a few:

jontree.jpg

jon_tree.jpg

jon_nat.jpg

jon_nat3.jpg

Mushy! Cute! and that's funny about the pictures-(wasn't he the one that wanted a red tux? It looks like them made a nice compromise!)

She is very pretty and your son is adorable- reminds me of my son's friend very much.
I hope they had a great time. And WOW those are nice flowers. I didn't know they do those kinds now. It's really cute!
And yes he looks like a man in that tux. :sad1: tell him to stop growing.

Yeah, the GF wasn't having any of the red tux idea. :laughing:

I was so surprised. He's been complaining about the prom and not wanting to go, but as we spent the day together getting everything together, getting his hair cut, cleaning out the car, etc. I realized that he really cared about this! He fussed about everything down to tying his shoelaces properly, and he even wanted to go to my dad's so he could see him all dressed up.

Penny, I saw a girl with a dress almost identical to your daughter's! The tops were so much alike, but her skirt didn't have the gathers (or whatever they're called). Your DD's is so much prettier with the skirt like that! What is she doing with her hair, BTW?

Mushy-your son is handsome. His date is a cutie too!! Holy cannoli, that is one huge corsage!! I hope they have a marvelous time:goodvibes

Regarding the bouquet, that seems to be the style around here now. I see some girls wearing the wristlets, but many girls are carrying the bouquet. And the way gowns are made these days, where would you put a corsage??? :scared1:

When we went to order it, the florist asked if I wanted her to make a matching boutonniere, so I told her I'd call and let her know. My son asked what the heck that was, and when I told him, he was like "Oh hell no! I'm not wearing a flower!!!" :lmao: His GF and I debated for a while on whether or not we'd try to convince him otherwise, but then the florist went ahead and threw it in. And, horrors, it had glitter on it. :laughing:

Yeah, the GF wasn't having any of the red tux idea. :laughing:

I was so surprised. He's been complaining about the prom and not wanting to go, but as we spent the day together getting everything together, getting his hair cut, cleaning out the car, etc. I realized that he really cared about this! He fussed about everything down to tying his shoelaces properly, and he even wanted to go to my dad's so he could see him all dressed up.

Penny, I saw a girl with a dress almost identical to your daughter's! The tops were so much alike, but her skirt didn't have the gathers (or whatever they're called). Your DD's is so much prettier with the skirt like that! What is she doing with her hair, BTW?

Your son is a real cutie! Funny how they like to pretend they don't care isn't it?

Sarah is having her hair done at noon tomorrow. She is going g to wear it half up, half down and curled. She is going to wear silver flip-flops under her dress. They won't show and she says at least her feet won't be killing her all night.

I hope everyone stays safe driving yo and from their proms.

Penny

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter