It's only crowded if you go where the crowds are...

DanenRox

Disney Junkies
We're lucky enough to come about twice a year and this trip we decided against park passes. So while my husband played golf, I wandered....and was, for the most part, ALONE in this crazy, crowded, fantastic place! I walked from the Boardwalk to Hollywood Studios on a quiet path with very few other people, essentially alone. I boarded a bus at Hollywood Studios to Wilderness Lodge alone (well, thank goodness the driver was there). After wandering around the lodge, I walked on a quiet and empty path, therefore alone, to Ft Wilderness. After a family left the front porch of Crocket's tavern, I rocked alone in a relaxing chair till I got my full. Then I waited alone on the dock for a boat to the Contemporary but was soon joined by a small family who traveled with me across Bay Lake (4 in a boat=mostly alone). From the Contemporary, I walked, unhurried, on the sparsely occupied walkway to Magic Kingdom where I found the bus to The Boardwalk. And yes, I road alone back to the Boardwalk. True story! It was alone on the bus ride back that the irony hit me. I'm sure Disney was crowded somewhere this morning, but probably only where the crowds were!

Such a cool story! I'll be attending training at the Boardwalk in May for 4 days. My wife is going to join me at the resort, but will not be purchasing park tickets. She planned to spend the days just wandering around and exploring too. She had mentioned doing something similar to what you just described.

Wondering if you came across any other cool "off the beaten path" spots during your explorations?

Oh how exciting! I'd be glad to share a couple of other "little finds" that I enjoy. There's the empty path to nowhere that I stumbled upon one day last year. It's near Magic Kingdom, in fact, right outside Magic Kingdom. With your back to the Magic Kingdom, before entering the park, the monorail entrances are on your right. Closer to the lake, still on the right, are queue (I think that's what you call them) lines for some boats. Well, if you head for the boat queue's on the right, you'll find a path that hugs the lake and leads to nowhere. But for about 5 minutes, you walk, alone, on this path and the realization that you are in Disney with no one else near you will at the very least, make you smile. Ultimately, it ends with a bench and you'll be facing the Grand Floridian. Since swimming is contraindicated, you'll have no choice but to return from whence you came. My other favorite walking path, the golf course walk, begins in Saratoga Springs and leads you to Old Key West, passing through and by Lake Buena Vista Golf Course. My husband was with me that day and we accessed the path near the Golf Pro shop at Saratoga Springs. A beautiful, quiet roughly 12-15 minute walk enjoying some previously unseen WDW landscape. I believe it bordered a waterway. I should mention that none of these areas are off limits to guests, these are approved, often paved, paths that are accessible and safe for traversing. Additionally, with Disney Springs expanding by the day, there's plenty of opportunity to walk around there (used to be called Downtown Disney). It'll help too, if your wife has a basic understanding of how buses run, which is primarily resort to park and park to resort (with some exceptions of course) and what is nearby any resort or park. For instance, the Animal Kingdom Lodge and it's DVC's are a stand alone property, as far as I know. You can't walk to any other parks or resorts from that location. Still a magnificent property worth checking out if she's never been there. She should also have a relative understanding of the WDW layout in general...like knowing Animal Kingdom is closer to Disney Springs than Magic Kingdom. The last piece of information she should have in her meandering cap is an awareness that different resorts may have other transportation choices besides or excluding buses. For instance, there is not a bus from the Beach Club to Epcot, instead there are boats and walking paths to the rear entrance of Epcot aka "the countries". I should have mentioned too the area around the Beach Club/Boardwalk is a fantastic, resort laden, beautiful area that not all WDW visitors make there way to. It's busy, but so wide open that it doesn't feel crowded. I hope I didn't make this confusing...I tend to do that and I do have to end with one caveat: On some of the paths mentioned, specifically the golf course path and the previously mentioned path to Ft Wilderness (from my original post), your wife may find herself completely alone for periods of time. It's Disney but we live in crazy times. I consider the paths safe but when alone, I demonstrate the same caution I use under similar circumstances in real life. Happy travels to you and your wife! Please let me know if she discovers any other hidden gems!

Last edited:
I'd like to mention that early morning at Disney Springs is one of my favorite spots. Stores don't open til 10 but both Starbucks locations are open. The bus from your resort to DS will likely be empty and once you arrive, you will have your choice of paths to wander, wide open window shopping, empty tables to sit at and enjoy the piped in music, read a book or gaze at the lake.

Oh how exciting! I'd be glad to share a couple of other "little finds" that I enjoy. There's the empty path to nowhere that I stumbled upon one day last year. It's near Magic Kingdom, in fact, right outside Magic Kingdom. With your back to the Magic Kingdom, before entering the park, the monorail entrances are on your right. Closer to the lake, still on the right, are queue (I think that's what you call them) lines for some boats. Well, if you head for the boat queue's on the right, you'll find a path that hugs the lake and leads to nowhere. But for about 5 minutes, you walk, alone, on this path and the realization that you are in Disney with no one else near you will at the very least, make you smile. Ultimately, it ends with a bench and you'll be facing the Grand Floridian. Since swimming is contraindicated, you'll have no choice but to return from whence you came. My other favorite walking path, the golf course walk, begins in Saratoga Springs and leads you to Old Key West, passing through and by Lake Buena Vista Golf Course. My husband was with me that day and we accessed the path near the Golf Pro shop at Saratoga Springs. A beautiful, quiet roughly 12-15 minute walk enjoying some previously unseen WDW landscape. I believe it bordered a waterway. I should mention that none of these areas are off limits to guests, these are approved, often paved, paths that are accessible and safe for traversing. Additionally, with Disney Springs expanding by the day, there's plenty of opportunity to walk around there (used to be called Downtown Disney). It'll help too, if your wife has a basic understanding of how buses run, which is primarily resort to park and park to resort (with some exceptions of course) and what is nearby any resort or park. For instance, the Animal Kingdom Lodge and it's DVC's are a stand alone property, as far as I know. You can't walk to any other parks or resorts from that location. Still a magnificent property worth checking out if she's never been there. She should also have a relative understanding of the WDW layout in general...like knowing Animal Kingdom is closer to Disney Springs than Magic Kingdom. The last piece of information she should have in her meandering cap is an awareness that different resorts may have other transportation choices besides or excluding buses. For instance, there is not a bus from the Beach Club to Epcot, instead there are boats and walking paths to the rear entrance of Epcot aka "the countries". I should have mentioned too the area around the Beach Club/Boardwalk is a fantastic, resort laden, beautiful area that not all WDW visitors make there way to. It's busy, but so wide open that it doesn't feel crowded. I hope I didn't make this confusing...I tend to do that and I do have to end with one caveat: On some of the paths mentioned, specifically the golf course path and the previously mentioned path to Ft Wilderness (from my original post), your wife may find herself completely alone for periods of time. It's Disney but we live in crazy times. I consider the paths safe but when alone, I demonstrate the same caution I use under similar circumstances in real life. Happy travels to you and your wife! Please let me know if she discovers any other hidden gems!

This is awesome!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to type all that up :hippie:

We've walked the path from TTC to the Grand Floridian (through the Poly) before, but never considered walking towards the GF from MK. Love the idea of doing that even though it's a dead end. DW said that she'd add it to her list. I think she's totally going to do the golf course walk too. She mentioned that she wanted to explore Saratoga Springs (we've never been over there), so this tip about the golf course walk is definitely going to be on her list!!! We haven't been to DTD since the name change, so any of these tips about exploring Disney Springs area, I'm sure she'll take to heart.

She's pretty excited about the Beach Club/Boardwalk area too. We've never stayed at any of the resorts in this area. We ate at the buffet at Cape May Cafe about 10 years ago and took the boat ride over to the boardwalk, but we didn't stay very long at all. It'll be cool to finally have time to explore this area more fully. (That's how I found your post, I was searching the TR board for the "Boardwalk" keyword.)

Also, thanks for sharing your perspective on your perceived safety of those paths. That's appreciated too!

We'll chime back in if she discovers anything cool!

(A few other things that she's mentioned... Going to Trader Sam's at Poly. We've been to the one at Disneyland a couple times, but not the new one at Poly. Maybe going horseback riding at Fort Wilderness. Riding the boat from Downtown Disney to Port Orleans. Wilderness Lodge Tour. We haven't been to/explored Art of Animation resort yet. We'll have a car, so she plans to hit both of the Disney outlet stores. Etc.)

I'd like to mention that early morning at Disney Springs is one of my favorite spots. Stores don't open til 10 but both Starbucks locations are open. The bus from your resort to DS will likely be empty and once you arrive, you will have your choice of paths to wander, wide open window shopping, empty tables to sit at and enjoy the piped in music, read a book or gaze at the lake.

That sounds great too. Thanks for sharing! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter