• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Its official, starting tomorrow on June 15th. Masks are not required at Disneyland and no social distancing for vaccinated guests.

I talked to my husband this evening and he's not very concerned about the change in policy. Plus we are only 5 days out and we really don't want to cancel (not sure if we could get all money back). We had to cancel our March trip due to DL closing the day after we were arriving, so I really can't stand to do that to my kid again.

I think my biggest concern is that my kiddo won't be comfortable. He's so used to wearing masks and only being around people wearing masks. Even in stores now, he runs the other way when he sees maskless people. He has special needs and has been able to get a DAS in the past, so hopefully that will help make things a little easier for him.

I talked to my husband this evening and he's not very concerned about the change in policy. Plus we are only 5 days out and we really don't want to cancel (not sure if we could get all money back). We had to cancel our March trip due to DL closing the day after we were arriving, so I really can't stand to do that to my kid again.

I think my biggest concern is that my kiddo won't be comfortable. He's so used to wearing masks and only being around people wearing masks. Even in stores now, he runs the other way when he sees maskless people. He has special needs and has been able to get a DAS in the past, so hopefully that will help make things a little easier for him.
Just a suggestion here, but it sounds like you may need to talk to him about the change (assuming he is old enough to understand) and let him know it is ok that others aren't wearing masks anymore. Try to explain why things are changing now as well. Kids are a lot more resilient than we give them credit for though.

I booked our first return trip in November, in hopes my youngest (9) will be vaccinated by then. And hoping for some sort of AP again. I’ll cancel if he’s not vaccinated yet. I can’t imagine having all those kids indoors w/ unvaccinated adults w/o masks. It would make me very uncomfortable. It’s disappointing Disney isn’t simply requiring masks indoors; people certainly can’t be trusted on this one.

We are here now (first day in parks today). There was much less social distancing than we saw on our WDW trips in December and April.

As we were walking out of DCA tonight just past nine we saw them starting to pull up the "stand here" markers. As we walked by the gym at Grand California tonight, they had already replaced equipment that had been removed for Covid (dumbells, mats) that were not there this morning.

We were shocked that the announcement came today, I figured it was going to be a slower roll out here. It will be good because of the heat tomorrow. Everyone in our party is looking forward to seeing what changes happen overnight.

Overall today was great - we got in right when they opened the park and were able to get a ton done.

Just a suggestion here, but it sounds like you may need to talk to him about the change (assuming he is old enough to understand) and let him know it is ok that others aren't wearing masks anymore. Try to explain why things are changing now as well. Kids are a lot more resilient than we give them credit for though.
Absolutely. I was expecting the outdoor policy to likely change and have been prepping him for that. And the mask mandate in our county was dropped a few weeks back, so we've been talking about that too. But it has been something he has been fixating on and definitely notices when entire families are maskless, knowing the kids are too young to be vaccinated.

We only have a few days, but maybe I'll start going maskless myself in a few situations to help him get used to the idea that vaccinated adults are going maskless now.

So glad that we canceled our three night trip. This sounds like a cluster. Hope this doesn’t come back to bite Disney.

I booked our first return trip in November, in hopes my youngest (9) will be vaccinated by then. And hoping for some sort of AP again. I’ll cancel if he’s not vaccinated yet. I can’t imagine having all those kids indoors w/ unvaccinated adults w/o masks. It would make me very uncomfortable. It’s disappointing Disney isn’t simply requiring masks indoors; people certainly can’t be trusted on this one.

I plan to wear it indoors and most places outdoors if my kids want me to, especially in crowded areas. My husband not so much, but he has to wear it for work, I don't. It doesn't bother me.

I'm sure my opinion will be in the minority, but I'm disappointed with this decision. Glad about not wearing masks outside (which I agree isn't necessary. But now I'll be more worried about my 9 year old in indoor queues with unvaccinated, maskless adults. And me and DH will still be wearing masks because we don't feel like we can ask our child to and not do so ourselves.

Probably not worried enough to cancel our trip (starting June 20), but not thrilled either. Guess we'll be trying to figure out how to ensure our own distancing in line.

We are the same. My family will still be wearing mask when we go out since the little one is the only one to not have been vaccinated. He would want to take it off if he sees everyone without it.

ive never liked people breathing down my neck so I’ll continue with the distance. Lol. Probably not 6 feet, but yeah.

Count me also as a fan of someone who never liked people super close in the first place.

In line, it feels like you can at least somewhat control the distancing in front of you, even if you can't control it behind you.

But I do wonder on those attractions where pre-pandemic they wanted you to fill in "all available space" whether that is resuming, or whether they're allowing for a little bit more spacing on that front.

I wish I was there this week! I’m hoping removing distancing in rides and still having limited numbers means you’re going to have some fabulous wait times! Actually, I double checked the calendar, but thankfully there are no reservations, because I was tempted to sneak out for a 1-day trip… :P
I’m in the Phoenix metro area, and our kids haven’t had to wear masks at school for almost 2 months, and most stores I go to (unless they have their own enforced policy) has only 20-30% of people (adult and children alike) wearing masks now, so it wouldn’t seem weird to me. My gym is probably 90% mask free, and has been for a while. 🤷🏼‍♀️
I agree through, social distancing in lines was NOT the worst thing…

Absolutely. I was expecting the outdoor policy to likely change and have been prepping him for that. And the mask mandate in our county was dropped a few weeks back, so we've been talking about that too. But it has been something he has been fixating on and definitely notices when entire families are maskless, knowing the kids are too young to be vaccinated.

We only have a few days, but maybe I'll start going maskless myself in a few situations to help him get used to the idea that vaccinated adults are going maskless now.
Well, in all fairness, you don't know the young kids are too young to be vaccinated. I have seen several people on a few message boards that have young kids under 12 that have been part of the trials in younger kids. I just thought it could be important to be aware of that fact. And I am definitely not saying they all were, just pointing out that we don't know just by looking at someone.

Count me also as a fan of someone who never liked people super close in the first place.

In line, it feels like you can at least somewhat control the distancing in front of you, even if you can't control it behind you.

But I do wonder on those attractions where pre-pandemic they wanted you to fill in "all available space" whether that is resuming, or whether they're allowing for a little bit more spacing on that front.
I think they will have you fill in all available space when necessary to keep everything operating smoothly, but otherwise let you space out a bit.

I think for the most parts rides will be filled to full capacity. Especially since for most rides they don't need more cast members to put people in every row versus every other row. But I do think there are some rides where they still might hold back a bit. I don't think they will fill the haunted mansion stretching room full. The pixar pal around will probably have just one party per car. I don't think nemo is coming back anytime soon, if ever. I also don't think they are going to bring back single rider right now and force someone to sit next to someone who is not in their party.

Well, in all fairness, you don't know the young kids are too young to be vaccinated. I have seen several people on a few message boards that have young kids under 12 that have been part of the trials in younger kids. I just thought it could be important to be aware of that fact. And I am definitely not saying they all were, just pointing out that we don't know just by looking at someone.

Also some studies have shown that covid vaccine antibodies can pass through breast milk. Thats why we haven't really been worried about our 11 month old. But hey some people breast feed there kids well past 2+... I personally would consider them vaccinated.

My children were in Pfizer Phase 1 trials. They are vaccinated. They dealt with both shots and subsequent blood tests, so I think they’ve earned a mask-free ride on Mission Breakout. They offered to do it in the hope that their class can go mask-free next school year.

Disney isn’t simply requiring masks indoors; people certainly can’t be trusted on this one.

No need to trust anyone…if your or a family member are fully vaccinated, it is statistically safe to go maskless, even indoors (except in special circumstances).

However, if you or a family member (kids included) are not fully vaccinated, continue to wear a mask.

That’s been the CDC guidance for nearly a month, and California is finally coming in line with their guidance.

I do understand the concern, as many in the media had pushed the “you are wearing masks mostly to protect OTHERS” angle, but there are studies that show that mask wearing by unvaccinated people are at least as effective as the J&J vaccine in preventing disease. If you want even more assurance, I’d advise even upgrading to a well-fitting N95 mask.

In other words, keep doing what you had been doing in previous months.

At a certain point, we were going to hit case numbers where scientists felt it was safe to resume at least some normal activity. Here in the US, and ESPECIALLY California, we hit that point, possibly even weeks ago.

As always, Keep your family safe, and do what you have to do.

Last edited:
I think for the most parts rides will be filled to full capacity. Especially since for most rides they don't need more cast members to put people in every row versus every other row. But I do think there are some rides where they still might hold back a bit. I don't think they will fill the haunted mansion stretching room full. The pixar pal around will probably have just one party per car. I don't think nemo is coming back anytime soon, if ever. I also don't think they are going to bring back single rider right now and force someone to sit next to someone who is not in their party.

All very good points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter