It's not what you are eating, it's what's eating you!

SandraC

Longs for the feeling of sandy salt water in her k
Have you ever heard that saying? It's been going thru my head for weeks. The essence is, someone is making me eat, something is bothering me, I haven't been dealing with something, instead I've been eating. I get it. But I can not figure out what is bother me. I don't have any more stress than anyone else. If fact, I tend to have less stress than most folks.

I was 210 lbs, I was able to lose the weight after my daughter's last heart operation (okay, so I have stress). It was about a week after we got home from the hospital when I decided enough was enough I was going to get healthy! I successfully lost over 80 lbs. After a second baby (okay he is 3 years old), I am now 155 lbs and not very happy about it at all! I feel the motivation coming back, that why I'm on these boards.

So ~ are you an emotional eater? S

I am and I probably always will be to some extent. While I can deflect some of it, sometimes, to other activities, in the end I will always have to manage this issue. For me, environmental control helps me manage: If the cookies aren't in the house, I can't eat 'em, eh? (And since the rule is that I can't drive down to the store to get them -- I have to walk to the store if I'm buying less than 35 pounds of stuff -- even if I am pushed to do that, I've already burned off 350 calories just getting the cookies!:))

I also practice "positive" environmental control; so in addition to not having fattening food in the house, I always have something good for me available. Typically, that's a large-volume vegetable recipe; often a low-cal three-bean salad (though this week its a big vat of cooked cabbage! Yum!) For when I'm out-and-around, there's typically an apple or orange in my pack, or worst-case a protein bar.

I have been eating too much and not exercising for the past 2 1/2 months because of being stressed/depressed. Just last night I ate right before bed because I was stressed...nothing good for me. Today is my deadline, tomorrow my exercise partner and I start back on our exercise program. I also re-joined the gym at work in order to get more weights in. My stress is not going to go away anytime soon, but Spring will be here soon so I am hoping I can put the eating energy into yardwork energy.

The other difficult thing for me is DH does not eat healthy nor wishes to eat healthy...Oreos, chocolate, etc are always in the house. I love to bake and that also does not help, it is a therapy for me....I try to give away what I bake so I don't eat it all.

I also walk to the store if I am just picking up a few things...and am not in a rush.

To achieve what I've achieved, I've made sacrifices, as well as had loved ones make sacrifices for me. Supporting myself, and getting support from my loved ones were both essential to my success. Health is so incredibly important; its worth your efforts, and may even be worth the imposition you place on others.

I used to love to cook certain things that I know I just can't cook anymore. My family knows, now, that if they want me to be with them on major holidays, they're going to have to (1) provide for (or ask me to bring) food that I will eat, and (2) not structure the feasts so that I'll be subjected to food temptations that I don't want to be subjected to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter