It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Disney with a 1 month old *new 2/13/15*

TheMaxRebo

DIS Veteran

Part 1 - Kick-off​

771b925962dcb53478cc02d056c3a175.jpg

Welcome everyone! This is my second trip report ... hopefully I learned a bit from the first one to make this one even more entertaining (well, at least I found the first one entertaining)

I'll do formal introductions in the next update, but here is a picture of all of us from the trip, just so you know it actually happened:

1o1v_337_udpu1.jpg

As the title of this trip report indicates, our most recent trip to Disney World included our newest family member who was just 1 month old at the time of the trip. In fact, when we first planned the trip it was before the baby was born, so we had to list her as "TBD" in the My Disney Experience App:

39x1_68e_udpu1.png

While this did provide some challenges I am happy to report that everything went really, really well! In fact, I think the bigger difference from this trip to past trips was that we didn't have any grandparents with us to help out - meaning all of the plans were around the kids and we couldn't get any time to run off and do some "big" attractions on our own ... but I am getting ahead of myself.

As for the details of the trip:
  • Flying from Hartford to Orlando Wednesday Aug 20th and back on Saturday August 30th
  • Staying at Hampton Inn Orlando Airport on either end of trip (arriving late, leavign early)
  • Spending first part of trip with family down in Boca Raton
  • Actually at Disney World from Monday Aug 25th to Friday Aug 29th
  • Staying at the Contemporary Hotel in Tower Room with Magic Kingdom Views
  • NOT on Disney Dining plan but did have Tables in Wonderland Card

Oh, so you might have noticed that in the original plans shown in the image from My Disney Experience said we were not staying at the Contemporary but at Port Orleans Riverside ... that would be because our plans changed quite a bit during the months before our trip. Which is a great segue to let you know that if you are interested in the planning details of this trip, I had done a Pr-Trip Report - which can be found using this link:

Wait, weren't you just at Disney World? An August '14 Pre-Trip Report

The report contains a lot of fun updates including the birth of our latest child, several family outings, a trip out to Hershey, PA for the Give Kids The World DISmeet, as well as some actual updates related to this trip :rotfl:

So with that, shall we get this started?

TTFN

Part 2 - Contents​

Planning/Travel/Pre-Disney:

Disney Day 1 - Monday, August 25th:

Disney Day 2 - Tuesday, August 26th:

Disney Day 3 - Wednesday, August 27th:

Disney Day 4 - Thursday, August 28th:

Disney Days 5 & 6 - Friday, August 29th / Saturday, August 30th:

Video and Recap/Key Takeaways:

Part 3 - Introductions and Preparations​

First wanted to provide some introductions to the members of our family:

Me, Phil, TheMaxRebo on the boards (bonus points to those who know that that is a reference to). I work in corporate finance for a global reinsurance company (more interesting than is sounds) ... Favorite park is EPCOT, favorite attraction is Haunted Mansion followed by Jungle Cruise (of the newer ones, really like Expedition Everest and Tower of Terror). Favorite snack is Dole Whip float with pineapple/vanilla swirl. Favorite Disney movie is Robin Hood and favorite character meet is Tiana and Naveen.
1vvs_ece_udpu1.jpg

DW, Judi, lurker on the boards (mostly to catch spelling errors in my updates, though she said she may contribute to this trip report to add in other details).
... Favorite park is EPCOT, favorite attraction is Living with the Land followed by walking around World Showcase. Favorite food is the lamb at Hollywood Brown Derby. Favorite Disney movie is Cinderella and favorite character meet is Snow White (in Germany).
2tx0_71b_udpu1.jpg

DD 1, Olivia (5.5 years old), will start kindergarten in 4 days and is very excited ... Favorite park is EPCOT, favorite attraction is Spaceship Earth followed by Peter Pan. Favorite snack is Vanilla ice cream with chocolate milk poured over it (we invented this from what we got at Aloha Island). Favorite Disney movie is Frozen and favorite character meet is Anna & Elsa.
4cmv_8c2_udpu1.jpg

DS, Peter (2.5 years old), will start pre-school in 5 days and is also very excited ... Favorite park is Animal Kingdom, favorite attraction is the Monorail followed by Magic Kingdom Railroad. Favorite snack is Mac & Cheese (from Sunshine Seasons). Favorite Disney movie is Frozen and favorite character meet is Goofy (also seemed to like Buzz Lightyear a lot, but he said Goofy).
5elm_40f_udpu1.jpg

DD 2, Emma (1 month old), is not about to start any school ... (these are a guess) Favorite park is Magic Kingdom, favorite attraction is The Seas with Nemo followed by It's a Small World (basically anything in a boat). Favorite snack is, um, nursing. Favorite Disney movie is Frozen and favorite character meet is Ariel in her Grotto.
61rp_1af_udpu1.jpg

The pre-trip report contains a lot more details but did want to share some of the projects I worked on in preparation for the trip. First, after seeing so many cool and creative things people had done to decorate their Magic Bands I knew I wanted to do something - but lacking the artistic abilities of others, I turned to the computer and wound up printing out some designs on temporary tattoo paper, applied them to the bands and then coated with clear nail polish, I think they turned out pretty well! We received quite a few compliments and several Cast Members commented that they had never seen that technique before.

7pa5_4d1_udpu1.jpg
8o9e_77f_udpu1.jpg
ak5o_71f_udpu1.jpg
bh96_21e_udpu1.jpg
16vx_f0b_udpu1.jpg

The other thing I knew I wanted to do was to make a "Thanks You" card to hand out to Cast Members that went above and beyond and made our trip more magical. I am happy to say that we gave out about a dozen of them (including to a few other guests who spent some time entertaining the kids) and we also had one really special interaction with a cast member that will come up later in the trip.

1tkm_117_udpu1.jpg

Lastly, I did want to make up a few t-shirts, which you'll see them come up during the report.

Coming up, everyone's favorite update - Traveling to Florida!

TTFN

Wow, color me impressed for how quickly you got this party started! I've only gotten as far as a title for mine ;) Can't wait to hear all about your trip!

So excited to start reading! I meant to ask: where did you get temporary tattoo paper for your printer?

I'm in! I'm glad to hear off the bat that your trip with a newborn went well, because I think I had mentioned in your PTR that we are planning to do the same thing next year, hopefully in the fall. Great start!

Joining in! Love the TR title! I can't wait to read all about your adventures!

I'm in! It was fun seeing your Disney photos on FB while we were on our own vacation. Now I want to hear some of the stories behind them! :goodvibes

Yahoo! I'm in :cool1:

Your PTR has been one of my favorites and I'm looking forward following along with your actual trip!

Without spoiling it for the others, I know the reference for your screen name, but curious to know how you chose it. And wondering how often people call you Max. I get called Bob all the time. LOL. :rotfl2:

Hoping Judi plays an active roll on your TR. Having DW help out on my last TR was a lot of fun, and I highly recommend it. :cheer2:

I love that Emma already has favorites aspects of WDW, even if they are guesses :thumbsup2

And really looking forward to see how you like staying at the Contemporary :cool2:

I'm in! Thanks for the heads up! Love the magic bands and the family pics!

Here Phil!!! I know I never made it to your PTR, but I knew for sure I would be here for this. And you sure don't waste any time either. And FYI, I did find the first one entertaining. :thumbsup2

Awww, Olivia sure does look like a proud big sis in that first photo.

While I do know your screen name reference... I'll let others play, so I will not say, in a galaxy far far away. :)

Ooooh, you know I enjoy a good CM interaction story. :dance3:

Ok I have been a lurker for a while but so interested in reading your report with an infant! More power to your wife. At that age going down the road is an accomplishment.

I just went through and read your pre-trip report to get caught up. (long car trip back from the beach today).

Reading along! I lurked on your PTR but I am definitely reading along here and might have a lot of questions about traveling with an infant! We just got back from our last trip as a family of four. Our next trip will be in April with a 3 month old in tow! It will certainly be different! :goodvibes

Phil, I am here and will be back to read after the kids leave to go back to Iowa tomorrow.

Joining in!

I can't wait to hear about your trip, and I want to steal the idea for the cards to hand out to cast members and other guests. What a cool thing to do! I'm sure you had some interesting experiences passing those out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter