It's just a jump to the left...

I saw it a couple of times in college at midnight showings. I imagine watching at home on TV wouldn't be as fun, especially if one has never experienced it in a theater.

I don't think anyone would ever "get it" just watching it on TV without ever having participated.
Politely disagreeing. Sometimes seeing the film was just a convenient meeting spot for friends with bigger plans for the evening. Sitting in a cheap warm theatre bopping along to music made the later plans that much more fun. Or maybe the movie was the main event and a karaoke type get together sans costume was enough. I rarely dressed for TRHPS unless it was Halloween..maybe.
In my neck of the woods the movie played for years on end so no need to make it a big social event.

As a teen our local movies would occasionally do a midnight showing of Rocky Horror and some people would dress up and people would get up and dance and it was so much fun.

i only very recently realized that hgtv's hillar farr (love it or list it) played 'betty munroe' o_O

@NYCgrrl

Yes, but you saw it in a theater with friends, and there was probably participation happening, whether you participated or not. Different than someone just viewing the movie on TV at home...
At home vs in theater two completely different experiences. Completely different.

I am an avid movie goer, have been most my life. In theater is almost always completely different - especially so for this movie!

@NYCgrrl

Yes, but you saw it in a theater with friends, and there was probably participation happening, whether you participated or not. Different than someone just viewing the movie on TV at home...
True. I didn’t even know people watched it on TV but makes sense with the MTV and later generations 🙂.

At home vs in theater two completely different experiences. Completely different.

I am an avid movie goer, have been most my life. In theater is almost always completely different - especially so for this movie!
Except that the film itself is, by most accounts, not really that great (or even good) unless you’re watching it with crazy people who aren’t really there for cinematic enrichment.

Except that the film itself is, by most accounts, not really that great (or even good) unless you’re watching it with crazy people who aren’t really there for cinematic enrichment.
It’s a cult film so yer definitely not going for cinematic enrichment. Anymore than the Halloween or Texas Chainsaw Massacre flicks😂.

The first time I attended I didn’t know what to expect. For some crazy reason I thought “Rocky” in the title meant it was a parody of Sylvester Stallone Rocky films.

I’m estimating I saw it about 20 times in a movie theater, mostly in the late 70s/early 80s. It was a “thing” to see it at midnight during my college years.

I saw the live stage production in Hong Kong in 1997.

i worked at a beautifuly refurbished former movie theater in the bay area that decided to give a run at midnight showings-even though we did pat-downs and confiscated many boxes/bags of rice and bread the theater was such a mess the owners called it off after the first couple of weekends.
We saw it at the Showcase Theater in Sacramento, an 800 seat theater that opened in 1965 and had undergone extensive renovations in 1970. But it wasn't a grand theater by any means. By 1981 it was on it's last legs, so I suspect the movie brought in more money that it cost to hire some $3.35 an hour minimum wage workers to clean it up was worth it. The theater was torn down in 1984.....and turned into a parking lot. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1066607540161759&type=3

It’s a cult film so yer definitely not going for cinematic enrichment. Anymore than the Halloween or Texas Chainsaw Massacre flicks😂.
Obviously it is not Oscar worthy because it is low budget, not mainstream and not part of the popularity contest that most awards are based on. But I will debate whether it is good or not - it is a small budget independent film written by one man, wonderfully casted and the longest running film in history ... based on one of what is considered best musicals of all time.

Greatly enjoyed in theater with others and live additions, performances and props. I've seen MANY times in multiple theaters and many have completely different and enjoyable perspectives. There is no right way to do Rocky Horror but the wrong way is to watch at home.

It is not a horror movie like Texas Chainsaw or Halloweens, there is no intent to frighten the audience. I saw the ORIGINAL Texas Chainsaw in theater when it came out. We started with maybe 50 people and ended up with about 12 of us who didn't run out screaming. The purpose of those films is to scare, Rocky Horror's purpose is to invite you into the story. It is a great film and stands on it's own ... and has for 48 years.

Midnight on Friday and Saturday nights every weekend for many years. Toast, newspapers, and rice were all promoted to bring into each showing while the actors were in front of the screen doing their scenes. I did it once.
Every cast I've been a part of, we sold prop bags. Toast, rice, playing cards, newspapers, glow sticks...At $5 a bag, it was enough to help offset some of our costs. We did have strict rules against water guns and hot dogs, though, because those could ruin the screen. And the glow sticks were a replacement for the lighters people used to use, due to fire codes.

I love the song when it hits the Halloween playlist.

As far as the movie goes... I just didn't "get it".

I remember in college having a professor tell us that this was the most fun you would ever have, and the greatest thing you will ever see. (Granted I didn't even have a clue where a live showing was) I rented the movie one night, and after it was over, I sat there like what did I just see :confused:

I hear it's on Hulu and I am on vacay, maybe I should see if this many years later it will make more sense.
You still won't get it. The movie itself literally makes no sense. It's the audience participation that makes the event. Although there are tons of references to old Hollywood classics, so you might enjoy trying to pick those out.

I’ve seen it about 15 times in a movie theater in the late 70s. It was fun when it was just audience participation, throwing toast, lighting a cigarette lighter, etc.

The whole experience was ruined when ”look at me!!!“ exhibitionists started dressing up as characters and acting out the scenes in front of the screen.

The last time I saw it was around 1981. :crazy2:
Shadow casts are "look at me" exhibitionists??? Do you feel that way about all live theater?

We saw it at the Showcase Theater in Sacramento, an 800 seat theater that opened in 1965 and had undergone extensive renovations in 1970. But it wasn't a grand theater by any means. By 1981 it was on it's last legs, so I suspect the movie brought in more money that it cost to hire some $3.35 an hour minimum wage workers to clean it up was worth it. The theater was torn down in 1984.....and turned into a parking lot. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1066607540161759&type=3
Forget the minimum wage workers, every cast I've been with, the cast was responsible for cleaning up the mess before we left. Doesn't take long with that many people working on it.

No idea how many times. I have been to the Rialto at midnight to see the show a few times. I did not dress up, but most did. Fun times.

Every cast I've been a part of, we sold prop bags. Toast, rice, playing cards, newspapers, glow sticks...At $5 a bag, it was enough to help offset some of our costs. We did have strict rules against water guns and hot dogs, though, because those could ruin the screen. And the glow sticks were a replacement for the lighters people used to use, due to fire codes.

You still won't get it. The movie itself literally makes no sense. It's the audience participation that makes the event. Although there are tons of references to old Hollywood classics, so you might enjoy trying to pick those out.

Shadow casts are "look at me" exhibitionists??? Do you feel that way about all live theater?

Forget the minimum wage workers, every cast I've been with, the cast was responsible for cleaning up the mess before we left. Doesn't take long with that many people working on it.
There was no cast. This was an actual showing of the movie only. Nobody on the stage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter