It's International Night at School

yummy72

DIS Veteran
We have International Night coming up at school next week. Each family brings a different dish and several are donated from area restaurants and you buy a punch card with 5 tastes for a dollar. Of course this is my family's favorite school event b/c they can eat all the good stuff. Anyone have any ideas for what to bring this year? They are served in small portions (about the size of a bathroom dixie cup) In previous years I have done:

Hummus on pita triangles

Tzatzkiki (sp?) on pita triangles

I made sausage and sauerkraut for the family last week and it was not a big hit, so I dare not try it again. We get a lot of Mexican dishes donated from area restaurants too, so I am having trouble coming up with something that will feed a lot of folks, that is easy to transport and serve, and tastes good :D

Thanks,
Candi

I'm not sure how labor intensive (or not!) you want it to be, but if you want to go Chinese wontons or crab rangoon (I use the fake crab) would be good for individual servings. Or maybe Kang Boa Chicken with plain rice under it in the cup. The recipe I have says to serve immediately, but my kids were fighting over the left-overs the next 2 days! :D

And with either the wontons or Kang Boa Chicken you have the added benefit of having a Disney recipe! ;)

Or maybe something from the Boma's line - I would think that African recipes wouldn't be too common...maybe the Egyptian Melange Salad, Vegetable Nut Lentil Kofta, Plaintain & Corn Salad, or one of their wonderful soups!

It's a shame the family didn't care for the sausage & sauerkraut. :( That's one of my favorites! ;)

Deb

Piratesmate-

Thanks for the ideas. I will check the Boma stuff out. I make crab rangoons too, and LOVE them. I thought about those, but I thought they might get a little soggy/lose their crispness after a while. We won't have the best facilities for keeping things hot at this thing.

Previous years, I have always made dishes from regions DH had been with the Air Force so I could use his Air Force album as part of the table display. Having already used Greece and the Middle East and not doing German food, I've run out of scrapbook pages to match up with recipes. I'll have to find a new way to decorate this year.

After I make my Superbowl food for Sunday, and my chocolate?? for Teacher's Day on Monday, I'll be hard at work for Int'l nite. I'll be sure and post what I decide to make.

Side note: I made your spaghetti sauce from a previous thread and my family loved it! I have made it twice now (per request!) and have had to drive the leftovers across town to my nephew, who took the time to email me and say it was "awesome" Big compliments from a 15 yr old!! Maybe I should make it for International nite :)

Thanks again,
Candi

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter