It's D.E.A.R. Day!! (April 12th)

PollyannaMom

I was a click-clack champ!!
In honor of Beverly Cleary's birthday, today is Drop Everything And Read Day:

66CF4F75-4E61-4B7D-9D41-4FCA1B99FC26.jpeg

https://www.readingrockets.org/calendar/dear

What are you reading lately?

Do you have memories of D.E.A.R. from your school days?

Are you (or your kids or grandkids) a fan of Beverly Clearly?

Share your celebration ideas and your general love of books here!

Last edited:
Do you have memories of D.E.A.R. from your school days?

My school did this for a week every year. We were to carry a book with us everywhere, and a bell would randomly ring at a different time each day. You would stop wherever you were and read for (I think it was?) 15 minutes. I have a very clear memory of my 4th grade class sitting in a line in the hall (caught on our way to the gym or music room or something). I loved it!

Aw I remember the Ramona books.

I don't think we had drop everything and read, but we were encouraged to read quietly when the teacher got fed up of us and needed 5 minutes of peace.

Oh, and right now I'm re reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

I loved Beverly Cleary books growing up. My favourite was The Mouse and the Motorcycle. I also loved the Ramona books. I bought them for my girls as well.

I just started “ People we meet on Vacation” by Emily Henry. I finished “ Someone else’s Shoes” by Jojo Moyes yesterday.

I read Beverly Cleary books in school when I was a kid and my class would always read the Ramona series starting with the first book which is Ramona Quimby Age 8 and I read that one twice in school and I thought the Ramona series was full of humor because Ramona herself is full of laughs and did funny stuff too. Like do you know why Ramona's sister is nicknamed Beezus? It's because Ramona couldn't pronounce Beatrice when she was little. I also believe that DEAR comes from Ramona The Pest when Ramona's kindergarten teacher tells the class to "drop everything and read" and also in that book Ramona brings her favorite doll named Chevrolet to Show And Tell and her classmates tease her about her doll's name. If you can find a copy of that book it is one of the funniest Ramona books ever. I also had the book Dear Mr. Henshaw too and that book is excellent as well. I think when the Ramona series debuted it turned Beverly Cleary into a superstar author and that's the main reason why Beverly Cleary's were bestsellers and it turned the Ramona books into a TV sitcom too that ran in Canada. But Beverly Cleary also tried to write teen novels and they were also popular and it proved that she could cross over from kids books well and also The Mouse And The Motorcycle was made into a ABC Weekend Special with Fred Savage in the 80's too

Did you ever have the book Dear Mr. Henshaw? That was the book by Beverly Cleary about a boy who writes letters to his favorite author and it is so amazing. I also got a rare copy of Emily's Runaway Imagination from the 60's that is autographed by Beverly Cleary herself. And the book Muggie Maggie is also wonderful as well

Did you ever have the book Dear Mr. Henshaw? That was the book by Beverly Cleary about a boy who writes letters to his favorite author and it is so amazing. I also got a rare copy of Emily's Runaway Imagination from the 60's that is autographed by Beverly Cleary herself. And the book Muggie Maggie is also wonderful as well
So cool about the autographed copy!

I do think we had Dear Mr. Henshaw from the library once.

I love your T shirts Eksmama and RLK. My late Grandma years ago had a sweatshirt that said something like, "Too many books, so little time," on it. She definitely helped inspire my love of reading📚Another, great thread, PollyannaMom:thanks:

Wow, I had no idea, I will have to Google, DodgerGirl, that "A Mouse and the Motorcyle," movie was made. I just remember the little boy Ryan and of course Ralph in his car....didn't he also have a car in addition to the motorcyle?

I loved all of the Ramona and Henry Huggins books. I have some saved as Ebooks through the library to reread. Children's books can be of good memory and comfort, too. Often times, they're also more genuine than adult books, too. It's been years but I think Henry and the Clubhouse was a favorite of mine as was Ramona the Pest. Now I want to reread both. I also loved and cheered for Ribsy. I'm not sure that I ever did read Dear Mr. Henshaw.

Would any of you be intetested in reading a Beverly Cleary book together? We could share about the story afterwards? Might be a fun way for us all to enjoy childhood stories while making new Disboard friends and strengthening current friendships on here? PM me if interested and I can either start a thread or group PM.

I do remember having D.EA.R. along with two other versions, B.E.A.R (Be Excited About Reading) and Sustained Silent Reading, which if I remember correctly Ramona impresses Howie's family with telling them that was why she couldn't play with Willa Jean. How I would have loved, PollyannaMom, missing gym to read instead! I'm so glad you got to do that either with gym or music class.

I'm off to see what Beverly Cleary books I do have saved.

As for general daily reading besides my Devotional and the Bible, I mostly read the regular (as opposed to Suspense, Historical, or Amish) Love Inspired line of romances.

Happy 📕to all!

I don’t think I ever read a Beverly Cleary book growing up. My kids may have read some. I read a lot of dog and horse books, as well as Winnie the Pooh. Judy Blume as I got older.

I am currently reading Killer Angels, about the battle of Gettysburg, for a reading group I belong to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter