It's been a while.....need help planning

rt3773

Earning My Ears
I am a former active user to disboards and I learned so much on the trips I planned in 2003, 2005, and 2011 but its been a long time and things change so much.

I am quickly doing some brainstorming on a trip for my DH and I for our 25th anniversary. The trip would occur in mid May 2015.....I know, short notice. In order to pull this off, I need to save lots of $. I am also a non trad college student with a few very hectic weeks ahead--so very little time to do research. So I am reaching out for some quick advice. I am pressed for time!! Would it be crazy to plan a trip on this short of notice?

Here are some questions I have.....
Best place to price and purchase tickets?
Meal Plan-yes or no? We have never done a meal plan. Are we too late to get good reservations?
Stay onsite? If so, which is the best budget resort?
We would fly into Sanford, so no magical express--so we must get a rental. So we would have access to a car to go to store, eat outside the park, etc
What is all of this buying or requesting fast passes in advance?

We have always traveled to Disney with kids.....we would not have them with us on this trip. Maybe they will speak to us again someday.

Yes! It's very possible to plan a trip so soon. We like having the dining plan when we're going to be doing a lot of table service meals. It may be late to get good ADRs but you can log in and start booking to get an idea. They now charge $10 pp for any no-shows or last minute cancellations. I personally would stay onsite and look into private ground transfers like Happy Limo or FL Tours.
As for which value resort is best I can't help you there. We've only stayed at AS Sports once right after 9-11 and dh hated it.
For multi-day tickets we get them from UndercoverTourist.com. They are authorized ticket seller and we've bought from them many times. I would buy these ASAP.
With the new FP+ system you can link your park tickets to your Disney acct (MDE) and if staying onsite, link your resort res, then start booking fast passes 60 days prior.

Park tickets- sign up at Mousesavers.com and you'll be able to get tickets from Undercover Tourist for a slightly better discount than the slight one they already offer the public (or ask here and maybe someone can send you the link, so you can get them sooner than waiting for the April Mousesavers newsletter, which won't be published until 4/15). UT is a highly reputable, authorized Disney ticket seller. Many on these boards have used UT multiple times and speak highly of them. We almost always get our tickets from UT for the savings, unless we are booking a package that forces us to buy the tickets directly from Disney. Disney admission media is no longer "good forever;" once you use a park pass, it expires in 14 days after that first admission. Also, due to the limitations of FP+, some people feel that park hopping is no longer worth paying for.

Dining Plan- It's not a good deal, financially, for us. Depending on the plan, you get either 2 quick service meals (aka fast food locations) and 1 snack credit per day, or you get 1 quick service, 1 table service (regular sit-down restaurant), and 1 snack per day. "Meals" consist of entree, dessert, non-alcoholic beverage. Plans also cover tax (I think) and include a refillable mug for each person. Regardless of the plan, it's still only two meals a day, so you will have to either share meals to stretch your credits, or pay out of pocket for one meal (or snacks) each day. We don't necessarily eat in the "meal plan mode" and have found it saves us about $100 per person to purchase meals OOP as compared to purchasing the plan. Some people like it for the convenience of having food pre=paid, but I'd rather have the money in my pocket!

Value resort- We have stayed at POP and ASMusic, and we think it's a toss-up. Rooms are basically identical; 2 double beds (getting a king is a rare, and not guaranteed, occurrence), small bathroom, refrigerator (so you can keep breakfast food and cold drinks on hand). Size and comfort-wise, think EconoLodge. These are perfectly adequate rooms and are usually our choice, as we are there to go to the parks, not vacation at the resort hotel. We think the food court is better at POP, but like the smallness of ASMu. Pools are of minimal value to us.

Table service meals- You can make your reservations (known in Disney-speak as ADRs, Advanced Dining Reservations) NOW for the restaurants you want. You don't have to have tickets to the parks or reservations at Disney hotels to make dining ADRs. I would sketch out a basic park-day plan (which park will you be in on what day?) and then make my ADRs ASAP… possibly before actually making any other plans. You are probably already too late to find availability at several of the popular restaurants. When you make your reservations, they will take your credit card number. If you aren't going to actually GO to your ADR, you have to cancel it the day before or you will be subject to a $10 per person no-show fee. This fee makes having ADRs a little scary- what if you don't go to Disney? What if you change your minds about where to eat?- but as long as you keep track of your ADRs and remember to cancel if you aren't going to use them, you're fine.

Fast Passes- Yes, you can now pre-reserve your fast pass time. This is Disney's new FastPassPlus program (FP+), and all the old paper fastpasses no longer exist. You can reserve riding time on most attractions 60 days in advance if you are staying at a Disney hotel, 30 days in advance if you are offsite. The process can be confusing, but there are threads here to help you. BASICALLY… Disney now lives-and-breathes through the My Disney Experience program. Basically this is an online account where your hotel reservation, ADRs, and park tickets (among bother things, like the MemoryMaker photo package) are all registered. Once your tickets are registered in your MDE account, you can book your fastpass times, so you know in advance that on Day X, at time Y, you will be riding attraction Z. You are limited to THREE fast passes a day, but once you use these (on your park day), you can go to special kiosks in the park, see what rides still have FPs available at what times, and book ONE additional FP. Once you use this one, you can book ONE more. Lather, rinse, repeat. You can only make FP+ reservations in ONE park per day (which brings the "value" of park hopping into debate). The only other "rule" is that at DHS and Epcot, the attractions are TIERED, and you are limited to ONE tier one experience in your original 3-FP+ reservations. This can get icky, because it guarantees having to wait in at least one LONG line if you want to experience both headliners. There are lots of FP+ threads on the Disboards to help you figure out how to make your FP+ reservations, strategies for maximizing FP+ use, etc. (MesaBoy has a great thread going, very helpful if you can wade through it). Of course there are many opinions on this new system- about as many opinions as there are Disney fans!

Magic Bands- Disney no longer uses traditional park tickets. NOW, you get a magic band. This is basically a rubber bracelet with an RFID chip embedded within it that you wear 24/7 while at WDW. This chip carries all your park FP+ info, ticket info, resort info, ADRs, and any other "reservable" plans you have. It also acts as your room key, and if you decide to link it to your credit card you can also use it for charging. Basically it's "one stop shopping" and in theory, you should never need to carry anything in your pockets when you go to Disney- just strap on your Magic Band and you are "good to go." In reality, it doesn't work this smoothly, and many folks still carry a credit card, some cash, and a hard-copy of their ADRs, FP+ reservations, etc., as back-up. You should also know that Disney has the ability to track your every move and location while you are at WDW if you are wearing or carrying your magic band; this concerns some people, others don't care at all.

Remember back in the day, when it was "easy" to go to Disney??

I am a former active user to disboards and I learned so much on the trips I planned in 2003, 2005, and 2011 but its been a long time and things change so much.

I am quickly doing some brainstorming on a trip for my DH and I for our 25th anniversary. The trip would occur in mid May 2015.....I know, short notice. In order to pull this off, I need to save lots of $. I am also a non trad college student with a few very hectic weeks ahead--so very little time to do research. So I am reaching out for some quick advice. I am pressed for time!! Would it be crazy to plan a trip on this short of notice?

Meal Plan-yes or no? We have never done a meal plan. Are we too late to get good reservations?
We would fly into Sanford, so no magical express--so we must get a rental. So we would have access to a car to go to store, eat outside the park, etc

We have always traveled to Disney with kids.....we would not have them with us on this trip. Maybe they will speak to us again someday.
Yes, it's possible to plan a "last minute" trip and still enjoy it.

Sometimes UndercoverTourist will have the best price, but not always. It will depend on the tickets that you're purchasing, so you need to do your homework. Check with HR at work to see if they offer discounted tickets. Compare prices at Orbitz when you purchase through the eBates link. Consider buying Target GCs at a discount from Cardpool and then ordering Disney GCs from Target .com using your REDCard as your backup method of payment. Then use the GCs to buy tickets directly from Disney. You may find that you save more that way than buying from any of the ticket resellers.

Meal Plan-yes or no?
It's debatable. Everyone has an opinion and none of them is wrong. It comes down to how you dine and where. Keep in mind that you cannot get the dining plans unless you book a package with Disney. That would mean buying tickets from Disney, so your first question is moot. There are some exceptions - DVC reservations, AP dining packages, customers staying using a military discount).

Are we too late to get good reservations?
It depends on what you consider to be "good" reservations. Certain restaurants are just going to be booked up for your dates because you are well inside the 180 window for making ADRs. Others will have the prime times already booked but you might be able to get early or very late dinner reservations. You don't have to have a room reservation in order to book ADRs at this point, so head on over to disney.com and just try making ADRs for the places you want to dine at.

Again, this comes down to preference. Personally, I would stay offsite for an anniversary trip if my budget were tight. None of the Value Resorts are what I would consider to be "romantic" and their walls are very thin. You will get more bang for your buck offsite. Keep in mind that if you choose to stay offsite, you will not be able to purchase the dining plan.

FP+ does not involve a purchase. Just like the legacy FPs, they are free to all customers. Those who are staying onsite can book their FP+ reservations 60 days in advance of their arrival. Those staying offsite must wait until 30 days prior to the date that they wish to request FP+s. You must have an MDE account and there must be valid admission media attached to the account in order to make FP+ reservations. You can read more about it on the TPAS board.

As far as where you stay, for a anniversary trip and a special one at that Congratulations pixiedust: , I would try to stay at a moderate resort. For a few reason, May is graduation time, and schools just starting to get out and its beginning of the summer crowds. I would go for Caribbean Beach as I find I have gotten better deals on these rooms lately. If this is not going to work out with the budget, I would go for AoA or Pop.

I would not waste time or money on renting a car, as another poster suggested I would do a car service, possibly with one stop if you wanted or needed to pick up some snacks or adult beverages. Along those lines you can use Garden Grocer to have some things delivered to your resort ( this is for us the easiest), or ship a box ahead of time.

Keep checking and see if Free Dinning will be offered when you are visiting. If you are staying at a Value Resort, the meal plan is QS- 2 QS ( Quick Service) and 1 snack per person - per day - But you can upgrade if you want to DDP which is 1 QS, 1Table service, 1 snack, per person - per day not sure what the cost would be. If you go the Moderate Resort route, the meal plan is the DDP. I suggest this as it is your anniversary and a few nice meals in the evening would be nice, and romantic. No matter how you decide to dine, I would make a suggestion to have breakfast in room, and the other meals out. Another thought would be you can share some meals, DH and I have shared QS meals a lot, and even a few sit downs at lunch while you can't share family style or buffet, Some restaurants will divide them up for you, some will just bring and extra plate, but if you share please tip the server as if you were having 2 entrees. DTD would be a fun option for a night out, you could do some appetizers at the bar and move on and repeat. DH and I have gotten the family appetizer platter, and a side salad and it was more than enough food for the 2 of us, and finish the night with dessert at Ghirardelli's. Check the menu here and over at allears.com for prices and photos of what you might be able to share.

Book your ADR's and Fast passes as soon as the window opens up.

Have wonderful Anniversary Trip pixiedust:

Check out mousesavers.com for car rental codes. They also have a section on pros and cons of staying on site. If you stay at all stars and have car, there is a mcd's right so you can save a little money. I only like the dining plan if it is free. You tend to eat more with the plan. Undercover tourist.com usually the cheapest for tickets.

Purchase tickets from Undercover Tourist. They're cheaper.
Yes, meal plan, otherwise you're spending way more on food, but you can only do a meal plan when you're staying in a hotel on property.
On your magic bands through your disney account, based on what days you're going where, you can pick what times and rides you want fastpasses for. It's a lot easier than it used to be where it just gives you a random time to come back. Now you can choose so it's convenient for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter