It's been a long time and a lot has changed . . . .

twopoohs

Earning My Ears
Between 2004 - 2016 we were at Disneyland or WDW no less than 9 times. Using TGM and FPs, I was the queen of rope drops, zigging and zagging and FP hoarding. As much as my family HATED getting up to get to the park early, they always appreciated minimal lines. My kids went with their band programs in 2017 and 2020 (less than a month before everything shut down) and they used the strategies I had taught them to minimize wait times.

DH and I are headed to WDW with friends from Jan 30 - Feb 10. This is our first adults only trip and we're really looking forward to going to the parks and actually have a relaxing week and a half. We are renting a house in the Reunion Resort. We would prefer not to do two back-to-back park days, we don't plan on going to AK, but we will do a full day park-to-park at US and we really would prefer not to go to any parks on Jan 31 or February 9 (the day after we arrive and the day before we leave). I'd also like to avoid any parks on the weekends. These are a lot of preferences and I know we will have to make some sacrifices (ie., either have a back-to-back, weekend, or going to a park on our first or last day).

Starting planning around HS since that will be an early day and I really hope to make it a relatively short day as well because we're really just going for the new star wars rides. KTP has HS on Saturday 2/5 rated as the best park for the day. However, I know that the parks are more packed on the weekend so I don't really think that's the best day to go, it's just that it's the best park for that particular day. He has Sunday, Monday, Tuesday as median days and Wednesday/Thursdays as worst days but when I look at TP they have Wednesday 2/2/21 as a 3/10 crowd level. Tuesday 2/1/21 is a 5/5 crowd level and the day after extended hours so using my TGM knowledge, I'm thinking Tuesday is the best day to go to HS? Also, Friday is a median day so that's a possibility as well . . .

Or am I making a mountain out of a molehill? I know we're going during a time of the year when it's not super packed anyway . . . . .

Most everything has changed. we've been twice in the last year. Not necessarily better or worse, but definitely different.
Plan for the changes. Park reservations, no park hopping until 2 pm, mobile dining and Genie + and ILL paid lanes.
Be sure to get your ADRs at the 60 day window.

I think Disney is now a totally different beast now, and our knowledge in the golden era of tgm is not going to be super h helpful anymore.

to put it another way, we are not in Kansas anymore Toto

~peanut

Last edited:
My daughters last trip was Pre-Pandemic and also with school/brigade dance group.

She had been multiple times (age 5-16 every March), so I was not too bothered about her missing out on anything. It was more about her having fun with her peers.

The trip ended up driving me pretty bonkers, bc the teachers and travel agent had no clue/or just did not care. They did not utilize and of the on-site perks.

I felt so sorry for all those kids who were first timers and did almost zilch in terms of attractions bc none got fast passes.

I haven’t been in 3/4 years, but am mourning the old FP+ system & Magical express.

I think after all those years, my back may have played out on me. I really miss it all 😭

Going without little kids is so fun. Seeing it through the eyes of the littles is a blast too. But enjoy your grown up visit!!!! Hope all the changes are doable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter