It's August! It's HOT! It Rains! Wait, Where's Mikey?

Day 3 continues on

When I left off we were headed to the Backlot Studio Tour. I used to love this ride. It had the houses and the CM was interactive. Now I find it a little boring. Pearl Harbor came out 11 years ago. Find something new. The kids had never been on it obviously so on it we went. We were first in line. That was a first for me. We actually got to see them pick the volunteers for the pre-show. Mikey enjoyed the wait, Jay was bored
993.jpg

As we were first I didn't have time to look around so I shot a quick pic or 2
1000.jpg

We were loaded on the vehicle rather quickly and I got to watch a very bored CM sit up front
1001.jpg

1003.jpg

No pic of the CM. I did get a shot of the Mickey Ears water tower with a crane next to it. I couldn't tell what they were doing though. Maybe giving the ears a paint job?
1011.jpg

Normally I sit on the side of the car where you are likely to get splashed. I didn't this time and was actually very glad. I found a Hidden Mickey in Catastrophe Canyon
1021.jpg

Crystal really enjoyed the ride
1023.jpg

We went into the Ameriican Film Institute display and the kids had a great time posing
146.jpg

1046.jpg

1042.jpg

Even Jim had some fun
149.jpg

Of course ater the ride you end up in the dump shop. The kids wanted everything they saw. Ella insisted that she needed this hat
1055.jpg

I wandered around a bit and saw Mike and Sully were out. They love Monsters Inc so I got them out using the Monsters as bait. :rotfl2:
1063.jpg

Ella was a little unsure at first. The Monsters don't look quite as big in the movies. Of course by this time we needed a potty break and I was getting hungry, we had no breakfast. The Studio Catering Co. had just opened and was practically empty.
It didn't take much to convince the others to eat here. The kids all had chicken nuggets and fries.
1065.jpg

Jim, Jay and Mike had the Buffalo Chicken sandwich
1064.jpg

I had the Grilled Vegetable Panini but opted for cole slaw instead of fries.
1066.jpg

Jen had the Chicken Caesar Wrap
1070.jpg

Jim and I had cheesecake. It was good but a little dry. The others had the chocolate cake. I didn't try the buffalo chicken but they enjoyed it. I did have a bite of the caesar wrap and it was decent. I loved my sandwich.

We talked about what to do next. The kids wanted to go to the Honey I Shrunk the kids playground and I really wanted to go to the Animation Academy. We decided to split up for a bit. I was getting in line for the Academy and a woman and her son jumped in front of me. I was annoyed but tried to overlook it. When you are in an ECV you get used to these little things. I started joking I was Harry Potter wearing a cloak of invisibility. I got beyond annoyed when 4 more people climbed over the chain and joined her. Of course the No Habla! started. I was pushed to my limit when we almost didn't make it in. Jim had to sit on the floor and we both had to use trays. OK rant over. We drew Pluto and mine actually came out semi-decent. I cannot draw so I was happy with it. Jim tried to hide his. As soon as I remember I will get a picture of them and post them.

The kids had a great time at the playground
154.jpg

155.jpg

156.jpg

157.jpg

158.jpg

159.jpg

I'm glad we split up. The kids would not have liked what I did and it was to hot for me to sit in a playground.

To be continued.

Great pics & update!
My brother & I actually got picked as volunteers one trip! We had so much fun!!

I agree that they could update some of the "stuff" on display.

That grilled veggie panini looks good! I'll have to remember that one for October!
hmmm....the grilled caesar wrap looks good too!

Great pics & update!
My brother & I actually got picked as volunteers one trip! We had so much fun!!

I agree that they could update some of the "stuff" on display.

That grilled veggie panini looks good! I'll have to remember that one for October!
hmmm....the grilled caesar wrap looks good too!

That is very cool. No one in my group would volunteer.

The caesar wrap was good but I loved the panini. It depends on how much you like the vegies in it. I also went with the thought that it's vegies so it must be healthy. Fuzzy Disney logic.

Day 3 continued

I uploaded the pics from Animation Academy.

This was Jim's Pluto
002.jpg

And mine
003.jpg

As I said I can't draw but I think it came out OK.

As Jim and I finished up with our drawings we got a call from Jennifer that they were in line for Buzz and Woody and I had the photopass. Jim and I headed over there but there was no way we could get in the building to meet them. We chatted with the CM that was working the exit area and he was very nice. He was actually from the Philly area and was coming up here to visit his dad soon. We chatted about airlines and the Phillies when I saw that the kids were ready to see Buzz. He let me go in the exit to take some pics and give the photopass lanyard over.

Jen took these with one of my other cameras
164.jpg

My little Jessie
166.jpg

161.jpg

163.jpg

We needed this for Mikey
168.jpg

173.jpg

174.jpg

177.jpg

From the pics it looks like the kids had a good time in line waiting.
1078.jpg

I had noticed that Jake was in the Animation courtyard so we went back that way. Mikey heard Jake and took off running. Jay was given chase Mikey duty. Mikey is fast. The kids got in line for Jake. He was on a break but was back out quickly. Mikey was in awe,
1081.jpg

1082.jpg

Then Mikey was off to the next line - Handy Manny
1088.jpg

I told Jen we needed to go inside for other characters. It was cool in there so everyone was happy. First line was for Mr Incredible and Frozone. Crystal was having fun playing with the circular thing that created different pictures. The CM in the background just annoyed me when I looked at the pics later. She looks like she was giving Crystal a dirty look
1094.jpg

I know the kids have seen The Incredibles but Ella just ran right up to them like they were her favorite characters
181.jpg

182.jpg

1103.jpg

Next up was Pooh, Jennifer's favorite since she was Ellas age
1117.jpg

And finally Mickey. We even got Jay in the pic
1119.jpg

The kids played with some of the interactive things
1120.jpg

And we were done here. It was now around 3:00 and our FP's for Toy Story Mania were good at 3:40 so off we went in search of something to do for a half hour.

Those are great character photos with the kids. Andrew had no problem with the characters in costume but was scared of the princess :confused3. He hugged and won't let go of Mickey when we had breakfast at the Tusker house. I guess because he watches Mickey and Jake everyday they are like his friends.

Those are great character photos with the kids. Andrew had no problem with the characters in costume but was scared of the princess :confused3. He hugged and won't let go of Mickey when we had breakfast at the Tusker house. I guess because he watches Mickey and Jake everyday they are like his friends.

That's funny about the princesses. He probably has no idea who they are. We watch Jake and Mickey when I have the kids so they know them. Of course with 2 girls we know the princesses. Ella didn't want to leave Minnie when she saw her.

Wow, I think you got more character photos in this one day, then I have in my whole life. :rotfl:

Great photos though and love the hidden mickey you found on the Backlot Tour.

Wow, I think you got more character photos in this one day, then I have in my whole life. :rotfl:

Great photos though and love the hidden mickey you found on the Backlot Tour.

We did see a few characters that day and more to come.

Thanks. That Hidden Mickey was a real find. We look for them when we can.

++++++++++++++++

I know that some of you out there have been reading along in lurkdome. Come out of hiding and say hello! I don't bite and would love to know what you think.

We continue on with DAY 3

When I left you hanging we had fiinished with the characters at Art of Animation. We still had about an hour or so til our Toy Story passes would be good. I took bad notes. Picture time stamps are much better. :rotfl2:

Where to go? Why if course - The Great Movie Ride. We didn't have much of a wait
1121.jpg

1123.jpg

I did take pics on the ride but we have all been there. After the ride we headed towards Pixar Place. The kids had been fighting over the one mister so Jen bought a second one. Why before the ride I don't know but it wound up in the basket. Our FP's were finally good so off we went.

I got a little angry here. We were a group, not a huge group but a group. Jen had the FP's for all of us. I almost didn't get on. I was cut off by not 1, not 2 but 3 families. Seriously, is cutting me off going to make your ride go faster. Jen realized I didn't get through and came back to get me. The CM just looked at me like I was insane. OK I was muttering a few things under my breath about rude people but still!

I didn't take pics of the queue. I took them of the kids
1174.jpg

1172.jpg

1175.jpg

When we got to the area where they switch the ECV parties they separated us. I know this can happen but it made no sense when they loaded us on the vehicle. Mike and Mikey sat together, Jim and I were behind them and Jay and Crystal sat together. That left the back of their vehicle open, room for Jen and Ella. I tried to get a pic of Jay
1177.jpg

The kids had a ball on this ride. When we got off I noticed a lot of commotion out front of the FP area. I thought it was one of the tour groups at first. Then I noticed emergency personnel coming with a stretcher. From what I could see an elderly woman was having problems. I thought maybe heat related because it was HOT!!!

About this time Mike started complaing about his back. He desn't give in to it often but he has some serious back issues. I offered to let him have the ECV but he refused. This slowed our walking down considerably. Jen also dropped my one camera about this time. It seemed to be OK at first and I wasn't real concerned because it was off and the lens was retracted. Unfortunately it started having real issues. I was a little upset because I had only bought it in March so it was only about 5 months old.

OK my pics are totally out of order. Rather than trying to get them where they belong I offer you
The Great Movie Ride
1126.jpg

1129.jpg

1159.jpg

1163.jpg

Waiting outside TSM
1170.jpg

1166.jpg

Jim's and my score
1186.jpg

Now that I seem to be in order again we were off to Indiana Jones. This was Mike's one request so off we went. On the way we stopped to get FP's for Star Tours.

We got there just as the show was getting ready to start so we were off to the side.
196.jpg

1187.jpg

1204.jpg

1201.jpg

I picked the plant this time. For those of you who haven't done the show spoiler alert! There are a few people picked from the audience to be extras. One is actually one of the stunt men from the show. I picked him out this time.

I will leave you here as my internet is acting up again. I will be finishing the day a little later.

Let's hope I don't lose my internet for awhile. I have been having a lot of issues with the connection getting lost and then I lose the update.

When I left you hanging we were at Indiana Jones. When the show was over our FP's were actually good for Star Tours so off we went. While Ella was just about hitting the height in MK the day before we were not so lucky here. She was reaching the mark but the CM at the entrance was adament, she was not riding. She was not happy. Honestly I don't get the reqirement here anyway but I wasn't fighting about it. We were given child swap FP's. Jen refused to ride with us so she stayed with Mike and on we went.
1212.jpg

Mikey loved the ride, It was AWESOME!!! He wanted to go on again. We had the swap FP's and the original ones since they never collected them. I tried to convince Jennifer to go on but she refused to do it. I think she was a little cranky because Mike was in pain and complaining and it had rained while we were o Star Tours. While we were discussing what to do next we lost track of Mikey. He found this and wanted his picture taken.
1214.jpg

Mikey's a bit of a ham. We decided that since Phineas and Ferb were due out soon to get their pics taken there. Mikey calls them PhinyFer. He was speech delayed and still has problems sometimes.

1223.jpg

There was no line for Lighning McQueen and Mater so that was next. There was no photopass photographer there so people were taking a long time. By time the kids got there photopass was out
1228.jpg

Mike needed to sit so we went to Muppetvision 3D.
1230.jpg

1231.jpg

1239.jpg

This made up for Star Tours with Ella. She couldn't stop giggling at the show.

I had wanted to do Fantasmic but that was getting doubtful. When we were planning the trip I told Jay about Rock N Roller Coaster. He had one request that day. I had Jennifer and Jay get FP's one more time for Tower of Terror. They then headed over to ride the coaster. Our window for TOT opened while Jen and Jay were gone so I headed over to the exit to wait for them and remind her to add the ride pic to the photopass. Then we were off to
1240.jpg

Mike and Jim stayed with Ella. She tried to throw another tantrum and Jen was going to stay off the ride. I put my foot down. Ella is just like her Aunt Beth. My daughter was to short for rides at 5 and I gave in to her. She was a brat because we gave in to her. I was not going to let Jen make the same mistake. I know it's hard when your baby is crying because they can't do something but I also knew she would get over it.

I took a pic while we waited
1244.jpg

Then a gentleman offered to take a pic of all of us. A rare pic of me since I usually take them all
1245.jpg

We went throught he pre-show and Mikey got scared
1259.jpg

He wouldn't leave Jennifer. We got on the elevator and I took my usual pics
1265.jpg

1270.jpg

When we got off Mikey had a huge grin on his face. I asked him if he liked it and "It was awesome!" He looked at me with a straight face and said, "MeMo, we made it back. I was afraid that we wouldn't come back." We went to get the pic to commemorate his first TOT ride and they couldn't find it. I lost it. I knew it wasn't the CM's fault but her attitude was just "go ride it again. Just make sure you ask for the elevator with the camera that works." Seriously if the camera is down tell people. I would have waited longer for the ride.

We went back to Jim and Mike and decided to call it a day. No EMH again and no Fantasmic.

When we got back to the room Mousekeeping had one of the stuffed animals in bed playing the PSP.
1272.jpg

We had dinner at the food court. Jim had a cheesesteak sandwich. Now you have to understand we are from Philly. We know our cheesesteaks. He was surprised it actually came close to what we have
1274.jpg

I got the London Broil with corn and mashed potatoes. It was actually very good. The meat wasn't dry at all and teh potatoes tasted real not instant
1275.jpg

The kids had grilled cheese and pudding
1276.jpg

We just had the normal chocolate cake and grabbed bottled drinks to take with us the next day.

And with that our second park day and third day of the trip ended.

My goals for the day were: Great Movie Ride - yes
Indiana Jones (more everyone else)- yes
Star Tours - yes
Muppet Vision - yes
Light, Motor, Action - NO!
Backlot Tour - Yes
Toy Story Manis - yes
One Man's Dream - NO!
Animation Academy - yes
Beauty and The Beast Show - NO!
RNR coaster - Yes
Tower of Terror - Yes
Fantasmic - NO!!!
Characters - yes we saw most of them

I was sorriest to miss Beauty and the Beast for Ella and Fantasmic. The kids would have loved it. We did accomplish just about everything we wanted to do so it was a good day.

Love all your pictures!!!!! :thumbsup2
Your group saw lots of characters!

Thanks. I love to take pictures of everything. This was actualy a longer trip and I didn't take as many. I usually average 3,000 and only took about 1800. I concentrated on the kids.

I thought we had a horrible day until I summed up our goals. We actually did much more than I thought and they did see most of the characters.

They really need to change the way they load TSM because there is always a long wait even on the Fastpass line.

Frank, Anna and I didn't get to see Fantasmic this trip we were tired and headed back to the hotel that night early. You guys got alot done at DHS that day.

They really need to change the way they load TSM because there is always a long wait even on the Fastpass line.

Frank, Anna and I didn't get to see Fantasmic this trip we were tired and headed back to the hotel that night early. You guys got alot done at DHS that day.

You're right about TSM. I think that's why the wait times are always so long.

I am hoping to see Fantasmic in October. It will depend on my traveling partner. I kept thinking all day we did nothing but we really did do a lot. Those little guys were troopers.

Day 4 - our 3rd day in the parks

Today was an early start. We had an 8:30 ADR at Ohanas. As was the norm I was up at 6 and showered. I got Jim started and then headed out for coffee. When I got back to the room we started trying to get everybody else going. It was not going as planned. Crystal got in the shower and decided today was the day to wash out her hair. It took forever. That hair stayed in place through rain and heat for 2 days. That's a lot of gel and hairspray.

We finally got going. When we got to the bus stop I was really worried that we wouldn't get a bus right away or worse I wouldn't get on. Thankfully we had a short wait and the bus was almost empty. I steer the ECV very well but I am not comfortable doing it with people on board. I don't want to read about myself here later. :rotfl2: It was already 8AM so I was worried about making it to the Polynesian on time.

We got to MK by 8:20 or so and a monorail came almost immediately. This was the first time on it for the little ones and Mikey was really excited. Not that you can tell by his expression but it was AWESOME! His favorite saying.
1277.jpg

We were all so happy looking this morning
1278.jpg

We were at the Polynesian by 8:45 so not too bad. I had Jim get off first and check us in while we got off the monorail. When it was time for the group pic Mike did not want to be in it so he went downstairs to smoke and solve another crisis at work.
1287.jpg

They called him several times a day to deal with things at work. He is a warehouse supervisor and grossly underpaid based on what I saw this week. I tried to get a pic of Jay and once again he refused
1290.jpg

We were seated around 9 AM. Stitch was up first
1293.jpg

Mickey Mouse was at our table almost immediately after Stitch.
1295.jpg

As I finished taking the pic they started the parade. Mickey grabbed Ella's hand to have her help him lead the parade. I was so excited for her. She wasn't happy about it
1296.jpg

1297.jpg

1300.jpg

As the parade ended they brought out our food. Everone was really hungry so this was the best I could do for a pic
1302.jpg

Up next was Pluto
1303.jpg

1306.jpg

That left Lilo. We waited and waited. They had another parade. She was in it so we knew she was here. Ella was searching for her
1307.jpg

The server brought out cupcakes for Jay and Crystal's birthdays and was really nice and had one for Mikey and Ella also so they weren't left out. The kids played with the umbrellas while waiting
1316.jpg

1322.jpg

1326.jpg

Finally Lilo showed up
1334.jpg

1336.jpg

1337.jpg

I couldn't get one pic with all 3 kids after all of that. Mikey decided to pose by one of the statues
1340.jpg

Thoughts on Ohana: I ate here for the first time last year and loved it. I was not impressed this year. I know it's busy but the hot waffles came by once. I didn't even see the guy again. I am the only one who drinks coffee and I like my coffee in the morning. I got one cup. Again had a hard time finding the waitress for a refill. Two dishes of food for 8 people does not go far. We had to wait for a refill of that also. The only thing we got with no problem was 2 extra pitchers of the juice. We managed to ask for that when the server brought out the cupcakes

The food is good. The juice is fantastic!!! The service was horrible and we waited over and hour close to an hour and a half for all of the characters. I know that Ohana is busy. A party of our size has the tip included so I really think the server did not go out of her way to help us because she was guaranteed her tip. I waitressed my way through college. My youngest DD has been a waitress while she goes to school. I know what the job entails. I tend to be generous with my tips when I get good service, I will go over what is included. The service I got that day she would have been lucky to get 10%. I could have complained but the kids wanted to get going. I have an ADR there again in October and would change it but I know my travel partner likes this place. They just better bring me a pot of coffee so I don't have to wait an hour for it!

We browsed the Polynesian and I took a few pics
1344.jpg

Got a rainbow
1350.jpg

It was now close to 11 AM. We had planned to go to EPCOT after Ohana and then have an off afternoon and chill by the pool. I also had plans to have a mini meet with a friend around 12 or so. Jim and I decided that we were ging back to the resort. Jen and Mike took their kids and Jay to EPCOT. This gave us each a break from each other. I learned from my trip last year that this is a good thing. When we got off of the monorail I managed to get a shot of the Avengers monorail
1354.jpg

I texted my friend and let her know we were headed back to ASMo. So I leave you here. Up next a mini DIS meet by the pool.

Too bad about the service at Ohana because I love this breakfast but I love everything about the Poly.

Too bad about the service at Ohana because I love this breakfast but I love everything about the Poly.

I am hoping that this was just a one time thing. If the service is bad in a couple of weeks I will be complaining. I do love the atmosphere at the Poly though. It's a beautiful resort.

We had dinner at Ohana a couple of years ago and I wasn't too happy with the service either. We have started eating at Kona for breakfast, but I know you miss out on the characters.

I know what you mean about people rushing in front of you when you are trying to stick with your family. :furious:

And we learned that some time apart when you are with family is very important.

We had dinner at Ohana a couple of years ago and I wasn't too happy with the service either. We have started eating at Kona for breakfast, but I know you miss out on the characters.

I know what you mean about people rushing in front of you when you are trying to stick with your family. :furious:

And we learned that some time apart when you are with family is very important.

I have never been able to get in Ohana for dinner. I chose it more for the characters than anything else. The kids hads a great time so that was the most important thng to me.

The cutting is one reason I really hate the scooter. It is even worse with that because you become a non-entity. I would love to just walk but unfortunately I think I am headed for another knee surgery.

That was the biggest lesson I learned last year as I sat in AK crying on the phone to my mom. The time apart is good for us all.

As I left everyone hanging we had just finished a loooong breakfast at Ohana and our plans for the day changed slightly.

Jim and I got to the resort and I changed into my bathing suit. There will be no pics of that. You do not want to see an overweight old lady in that attire. I don't want to see me that way. :lmao: I texted my friend and she was on her way. We stopped at the food court and I got my Gold Peak white citrus tea. I love that stuff and Jim had a migraine coming on so he grabbed a Vanilla shake. We then tried to find a couple of chairs. That was not happening around the pool. I went over by the baby pool/laundry area and found a table with umbrella and chairs.

Kathy arrived around this time with her daughter and grandparents. We chatted for a bit and then went in the pool. I do not swim. I have belonged to a swim club for over 20 years and until last year went the pool maybe once a year. But, in I went. I had my waterproof camera with me so figured I would take some pics. First I couldn't get the camera off of a setting that completely blew out the pictures. Finally fixed that and got one good pic of Kathy and Lily
010.jpg

She is an absolutely adorable baby. Then my waterproof camera wasn't waterproof. So no more pics and I was seriously bummed. First my brand new Canon broke and now the waterproof camera wasn't working. Lily was getting hungry and tired so we headed back over to the umbrella. Notice how blue the sky was and fluffy white the clouds were. Yep - that changed fast and it started to rain. Just a steady downpour no thunder or lightning. We were laughing at all of the people running out of the pool to hide under an umbrella. They're in water but afraid of getting wet. :confused3 We chatted a bit longer but the rain was really starting to come down heavy and the sky was getting very dark - then we had the thunder. We said good-bye and she went off in search of her grandparents. Jim and I headed back to the room so I could change. I'll see Kathy and Lily again in October.

The kids had gotten back to the resort by this time but swimming was out. It was around 3:00 by now so we decided to eat an early dinner. We headed back to the food court. This was a great idea. Because of the rain they had moved the pool activities in there. Between that and the movies or TV shoes playing the kids were kept amused. Jim, Jay, Mike and Jennifer all got the nachos. They can be made any way you want and they all loved them.
1357.jpg

1362.jpg

The kids had pizza, it could have used a little more cheese in my opinion
1358.jpg

I went on a health kick and had a build your own salad. London Broil, salad base and some yummy vegie additions
1359.jpg

side view
1360.jpg

I also got fruit for dessert
1361.jpg

I didn't get to eat the fruit because Jay wanted it. He didn't know you could get that. That boy can eat a whole watermelon in one day - he loves his melon.

I wound up with the chocolate cake. The food was very good and that salad was so wonderful that I have been making my own version of it at home. Jim however wasn't as happy. He found a long piece of clear plastic in his salad. I told him that he needed to tell someone. It could have been a serious choking hazard. The manager was really upset about it and gave us back the credit for his meal. Jim wasn't upset he also told the manager that he would still eat it. They gave him a new taco salad anyway.

The kids joined in the games and Mikey won one of them. He was crowned King!
1364.jpg

1366.jpg

We headed back to the rooms for a bit to decide what we wanted to do and I checked to see if my camera dried out. Nope! The memory card was still wet too.

To be continued.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter