It's All Fun and Games Until Someone Needs An Eyepatch - A Dec TR Complete 8/31

We had just checked out our room to make sure everything was okay and we were now on our way back downstairs to get our luggage from the car but our stomachs told us we had to make a stop at The Mara first to get some lunch. We hadn't eaten since the previous day at this point so our stomachs were not happy with us. Down to Mara we went and ordered up our lunch. I had a pepperoni flatbread, Mom had some kind of curry soup and I believe Alek and Erich both had burgers. The food was satisfying and Mom really liked her soup. I didn't take pictures of this meal as I figure you all already know what a pizza and burgers look like. A unique option at AKL is you can get couscous instead of fries with your burgers. Alek and Erich stuck with the fries but it is nice that there is some variety and that it is a bit unique.

We had a bit of an issue when paying for our meal. Mom's Magic Band came up saying "exceeds limit". The cashier says that often happens when guests first check-in and that the front desk can easily correct it. Mom paid with a Disney gift card instead and we settled down at a table outside and chowed down. It was so nice and warm outside and we were happy to have some food in our bellies.

After our meal we took a stroll around the pool and checked out the savanna that is near The Mara.

I couldn't wait to get in that pool. I hadn't been swimming since our last vacation in 2011!

We chatted with a cast member at the savanna viewpoint and he said that our room was actually in a really great spot and that the animals like to hang out in that area in the morning.

After our stroll around the pool area it was back to the lobby to get the Magic Band room charging issue taken care of and we snapped some photos with the Christmas Tree as well.

Room charging issue taken care of we trekked out to our car that was parked at the very back of the parking lot and retrieved our luggage. The parking lot would have to be my one issue with AKL. It has a very large lot but we never seemed to be able to get a spot except for at the very back of the lot. I know that it is a very popular hotel for people to visit or eat at so I wish that there was separate parking for guests actually staying there and those just visiting. Seemed a bit "unfair" that we were actually paying to stay there and could only get the most inconvenient parking spots.

As we were wheeling our bags through the lot I felt as though the suitcase Mom and I were sharing was heavier than usual and had a hard time rolling it behind me. I asked Alek to take it from me as it was that much of an issue. This will come into play later on...

Back in the room we unpacked and checked out our balcony and actually saw animals this time!

We watched the animals for a few minutes and then got ready to head down to the pool. This was my wish for the day. I really wanted to get some pool time in on the trip and this was one of two days where there was a good time window for it and the weather was perfect.

We floated around in the water for a bit and Mom even got in! She usually lounges around on the chairs and chats with the other guests.

It was embarrassing how pale and white I was. I was hoping that a week in the sun would help resolve that issue a bit.

They started some poolside games and activities. First up was Bingo and both Erich and Mom played and won. They got to pick a prize from a toy chest and they both picked a little stuffed gorilla.

Erich and I then went off and played another Bingo like game involving animals. The cast members would read off facts about an animal and you had to guess what it was and then mark it off on your "Bingo" card. We were playing with a bunch of children and so let them answer most of the time. It was fun though and we learned some interesting animal facts that we did not know.

We had dried off from the pool by that time so we went back upstairs and got changed and then went out to the main animal viewing location at AKL, Arusha Rock. Not too many animals out and about at that time but we did see some giraffe and a zebra.

Here are a few more pictures we took as we exited through the lobby and made our way to the car.

Coming up next: How do we spend our first evening in Disney?

Oh my goodness Lessa what a stressful travel day, the diversion sounded bad enough but then the airport stuff :faint:

I'm glad you arrived safely :)

Yes, definitely not the ideal way to start a vacation on which you are supposed to relax and not have to stress about anything... I am a bit nervous for our flight to Turkey this April as the tickets are already bought and it is with the same airline...

Holy moley Batman - crazy travel start! I'm not sure how you kept your cool - I'd be a mess of red blotchy stress skin! But you are right - the pictures turned out great!

I didn't really keep my cool. I was "complaining" quite a bit... :laughing:

I want to say good job getting through the first day of traveling! It was stressful to read!

Excited to read more of your report! Love all the pictures!

I can't believe it but Lessa is already forgetting important facts about the trip.

While we were waiting in line at the airport we over heard a group of children discussing a Spongebob and Harry Potter crossover. Specifically they spoke about he who must not be named appearing. Found a screenshot on the internets once we got to the hotel.

The vacation has begun!! This was my first vacation in about 5 long years and I was very excited to be getting away to spend some time with the kids, this trip will be the last one as family for awhile as Erich will be moving out west and not sure when everyone will have this chance again to vacation together. Lessa and I left our packing to the last minute, I was up at 3 am on departure day going through clothes, hoping that I had clothes that fit me ( I have lost close to 50 lbs, so my summer clothes were all too big), I didn't finish packing until after 9 pm that night, then I had to get the house in order, at this point vacation excitement had set in and there not going to be any sleep. As Lessa said the drive was fairly uneventful except for the detour, we were happy when we reached the airport and got the car parked, we thought it was pretty easy and straight forward, and we were all looking forward to getting though all the checkpoints ( customs and security) to use the washroom and grab something to eat, but this did not happen due to Air Canada and LONG lines in customs and security, we were like the family in Home Alone running to the gate to find that it was all ready boarding!!. When we got to the gate I looked around for Erich, he has missing.... pretty much everyone had boarded, as the gate was empty we were standing there pondering, do we board or wait for Erich and be the people who are hold up the flight, thankfully Erich came (he had gone to the washroom). Once on board the flight went smoothly, no onboard entertainment, unless you bring your own or rent an notebook, Air Canada has really cut out a lot of services, they only offer drinks now, no snacks unless you pay, I was glad that I had packed some protein bars. Before I knew it we were in Orlando with the beautiful warm sun. The boys quickly changed as they thought that it would be at least an hour before we would be on the road, to their surprise we had our luggage within 10 minutes and the rental car was walk up, we were out of the airport in less that 1/2 hour. YEAH!! Soon we passed under "Welcome to Disney World" and arrived at our hotel, we were all dragging at this point and were looking forward to food and rest. BONUS our room was ready and food was calling. I had the best Chicken Coconut Curry soup from the Mara, it really hit the spot (I had to be careful as the day before I had a back molar prepped for a crown, so it had been filed down and had a temp crown in place, so I had to be sure hat I did not crack it, so this was going to be a trip with soft, non-crunch foods) . After checking out our room, we hit the pool for a bit of downtime, the water and sun felt great. This was the last time I went in the pool, as my bathing suit was a bit big on me and my bottoms were literally falling off,. :rainbow:. I ended up going down to the gift shop to buy a sewing kit so that I could take in the waistband. It was a good day!

I want to say good job getting through the first day of traveling! It was stressful to read!

Excited to read more of your report! Love all the pictures!

Welcome and thanks for reading! Yes, our travel day was stressful for sure. Would have been interesting to know what my blood pressure was during all of that! :laughing:

Gorgeous pics! I keep hoping pale skin will make a come back (I still have you beat!) - maybe in 2016 we'll be fashionable again, lol?

:laughing: You never know!

The vacation has begun!! This was my first vacation in about 5 long years and I was very excited to be getting away to spend some time with the kids, this trip will be the last one as family for awhile as Erich will be moving out west and not sure when everyone will have this chance again to vacation together.
You're so lucky to still have them all going on holiday with you at their ages. We're saying our next trip when the girls will be 18 and 20 will be our last family vacation!

Congrats on the weight loss :yay:

You're so lucky to still have them all going on holiday with you at their ages. We're saying our next trip when the girls will be 18 and 20 will be our last family vacation!

Congrats on the weight loss :yay:

Thanks Jo, yes we are lucky that we holiday together still. Thank you, the weight loss journey is still a work in progress, a lot of determination, will power and support have gotten to where I am today. I am now trying to get back on track, as I allowed myself to stray a bit.

That is great! And very hard work...

I will be following suit in March - we have to leave for the airport at 3:30 am, really no use in trying to sleep if I usually get to sleep at midnight.

They are getting very bare boned, aren't they? We had no warning the last time for the first leg of our trip, but I usually come prepared with my ipod and a book anyways.

It looked great!

Yes it was hard work, and a work still in progress, I have another 30-40 lbs to go, I am trying to get back on track, and it hasn't helped being the holidays and all.

I find that I do not sleep well heading into holidays, with the build up and excitement the energy somehow carries one through, and somehow at Disney we run ourselves ragged everyday and still have energy to pull in those extra magic hours and deal with the crowds. I was up each and every morning at 5 am, dressed and ready to go.

I think we were all very frustrated with Air Canada and the lack of staff to check bags and to answer questions, very stressful when there are 100's of passengers and only 5 AC personnel handling the flight check in/baggage , it just wasn't going it was coming home as well. Long line ups, no AC staff until 1 -1/2 before flight and they all parade in mass and them it took them another 15-20 minutes to get their computers up and running!! , I think everyone was so fed up, that when they came out everyone gave them around of applause. The union must be tightening up the member's belts as what and when they can work and for how long. I do not think I will ever fly Air Canada again, unless I do not have a choice. Had we known we would have made different flight arrangements.

I'm here, I'm here! Terrible at keeping up, but I'll do my best! (At least until you get to your second-to-last-day, hahaha...) :D

On the way we stopped at the Christmas tree to get our first photopass picture of the trip. We joked about how awful we would look since we had been traveling since midnight and I was the only one of the four of us who had gotten any sleep the day before. I actually don't think they turned out too badly considering...
I think these pics turned out LOVELY! I wish the phototographer had been around when we popped by AKL for breakfast. Love these shots!

Back in the room we unpacked and checked out our balcony and actually saw animals this time!
YAAAY! AMMINOLLS! The best part of AKL. :cutie:

I couldn't wait to get in that pool. I hadn't been swimming since our last vacation in 2011!
Girl, me either, it's been AGES since I was in a swimming pool! My last two Disney vacations, I've brought my swimsuit along with me, but never actually put it on and went swimming. Next time, for sure!!! Ya'll look like you're having so much fun! :goodvibes

I think these pics turned out LOVELY! I wish the phototographer had been around when we popped by AKL for breakfast. Love these shots!
Billie, the photographer was hit and miss, we were told that the photographer was there everyday from 9-9, however they were not always out, so we grabbed photopass pictures whenever we had a chance. I thought the snow globe was cute.

You must have hit one of their few down times. I would say I saw a photographer there 75% of the time.

YAAAY! AMMINOLLS! The best part of AKL. :cutie:

Our room ended up being great for animals as you will see throughout the report.

Girl, me either, it's been AGES since I was in a swimming pool! My last two Disney vacations, I've brought my swimsuit along with me, but never actually put it on and went swimming. Next time, for sure!!!

I always plan on doing more pool time but never do as all my time ends up getting sucked into the parks. The only trip where there was significant pool time was our 2011 trip at Coronado Springs and I think that is only because it was a two week trip. So, I will continue to say on my next vacation I will have more pool time!

Hello everybody! I had to call in sick for work today (can't go around sneezing and coughing on my patients) so since I am sitting around the house doped up on cold meds I figured I may as well write this next update which doesn't require too much memory work.

Last I left off we had checked into the hotel and enjoyed some pool time. We now had the rest of the afternoon and evening to play with. We had a few options: 1) Hollywood Studios: to see the lights and we had fastpasses here as the original plan was to have dinner at Minnie's Holiday Dine. That meal was cancelled shortly before the trip due to mediocre reviews and the high price tag. 2) Epcot: see some of the Holiday Storytellers so our Epcot day would not be so packed. 3) Downtown Disney "Disney Springs" to do a little bit of shopping and grab dinner.

Ultimately we decided to forgo the parks since we were all wanting a relatively early bedtime due to our long and stressful travel day. Erich suggested that we visit Art of Animation as he thought that we would enjoy seeing the theming around the resort. He had visited during his college program. Before leaving AKL I went back to the front desk and asked about receiving a parking permit for the week. In the past we have always received a paper printout to display on the front dash to show we were resort guests. This would allow us free parking at the parks and parking at the other resorts as well without getting towed away. I was told they no longer do this and that it is all on your Magic Band. I thought that was a little strange as once the car is in a parking lot how can they differentiate between a resort guest and somebody who drove up and said they were there to check out the resort and then hops on a bus to the parks thereby skipping paying for parking? They also did not scan our Magic Bands when we drove to the parks. What is stopping people from showing an old Magic Band and getting parking for free? Anyways, not really my problem but just some things I thought about while driving around and parking on the trip.

We all agreed to the Art of Animation plan and so I pointed our car in the direction of Victory Way and the Art of Animation Resort. Over the years I have gotten very used to driving around Disney and I hardly need to rely on signs anymore. There was only one moment this trip where I got a bit turned around but more on that later.

Arriving at Art of Animation I told the Security Guard we were there to check out the resort. He asked to see my driver's license and then waved us through. Did not ask to see my Magic Band which I had just been told was our parking pass??

We started our tour in the Finding Nemo section. The pool definitely looked like a lot of fun, especially for kids. We noticed that the pool area is gated off and that you need to use your Magic Band to gain entry. I actually noticed that at several resorts on our trip. They must have been having problems with non-resort guests using the pools.

The next section was Cars which I also thought was really well done. There was something wrong with Alek and Erich as on any other trip they would have been doing goofy poses with all the cars and other statues at the resort but they were not interested this day. Have they matured? :laughing:

We walked along the water to get to the next section. As we looked across at Pop Century we talked about how in the not too distant future the theme of Pop Century might need to be updated. Right now it is based on the decades of the 1900's but when will those decades become irrelevant to society? For example, right now when people refer to the 20's we all think of the 1920's but pretty soon will it be the 2020's or the 1920's? I know Pop Century starts with the 50's but it was just something we were discussing in relation to Pop Century but also just in relation to how society thinks about time in general.

Back to a less heavy matter, The Little Mermaid. One of my favourite Disney movies. It is the first movie I have memory of seeing in the theatre and my dad used to dance around with me when I was little singing "Kiss The Girl". It is also a quality movie and definitely deserves its reputation as being the start of the Disney Renaissance.

I tried to get Erich to pose with the Eric statue but he was having none of it.

This is the closest I got to them being in a photo.

In the last section, The Lion King, we were walking behind a family that appeared to be on its way to the Christmas Party. The two little kids in the family kept running around and climbing all over the statues. I thought the little girl in her Ariel dress was especially cute. Nothing cuter than seeing kids having fun at Disney. There has been some talk of potentially going on a trip to Disney in several years with Alek's friends who have a two-year old. Would be fun to do Disney with a little kid.

After that it was back to the car to head to our next destination. Overall I thought the theme of Art of Animation was well done. The best pool was the Finding Nemo pool and I think the best themed section was Cars. That being said I am not sure I would ever stay here, not really my style. The decor of the rooms is just a little too "loud" for me. However, if budget demanded it I would not say no as I prefer it to the other Value resorts.

Last edited:
Rosie, That is our Aunt. I had trouble finding a recent picture of Alek where he was by himself.

I just wondered , I had not seen her pix before !!!

I'm here too :yay: Even though Rosie did beat me ;):rotfl2:

Considering how infrequently I am on here it was pure chance !!! But I am proud to be numero UNO!~!!

Yes, Rosie was pretty on top of things. She must be very eager to hear about the antics of The Brothers Grimm ;)

You are right there Lessa and I know they will not disappoint !!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter