• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

It's a small world?

BibbidyBobbidyBoo

<font color=red><br>AKA BIP - Bibbidy is a Pirate
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
If someone posted this- I sure missed it!
I just read this on Disney's website:

"it's a small world" will not be operating May 2, 2004 until Spring 2005, however we recommend Peter Pan's Flight as an alternative during this time.

WHAT????????? Is this for real? Tell me this is not for real.... closed for THAT LONG?

I'm going to cry......

Yep, it's true! It's closed for LLLLOOONNNNNGGGGGG rehab. I don't think their plans are to change it alot, but just to "update" it a bit.

I'm so sad... I had no idea until just now I saw that on the website! Our next trip is only going to be 2 days in the parks before going on the cruise and I fully intended that to be 2 days at MK- the majority of the time spent on IASW!

Totally bummed now... and I know I'm going to have to listen to my youngest upset about this when we get there. *sigh*

It was closed while we were there in May :( even though there are plenty of other great things to do, we still missed Small World esp my DD 4 and DW 34 ha ha:)

I read somewhere, but not sure where they would be updating the music and refurbishing/updating costumes. I also believe they are making a larger stroller area and perhaps different boats. Not sure about the boats, but I thought I saw something about them as well.

Shelly

I understand.
It's a ride with so much "stuff" that I'm sure it can always use some work and would take awhile to do so..but a YEAR? A YEAR?

Do they really think people can go a year without this ride- easily? Hello? Think about the age demographic (or the majority of such). We're not talking about the most understanding age yanno> LOL

I know the scene I will have to deal with when I tell 3yo DD that her FAVORITE ride is closed for our entire WDW trip and it won't be fun. She'll be so heartbroken. We're not even going until Feb. 2005 but it will still be closed then. I was surprised to also see a few months ago when the news broke exactly how long the ride would be shut down for refurbishment. It definelty does need it, there is always something not working whenever we ride. I'm hoping they get ahead of schedule and it will be open in Feb!!!! But I'm not counting on it, just wishing for DD's sake! :)

That's great Danny.. but for some of us that might be years before we go again and well.. our kids are only the ages they are now NOW... they'll be older then. :( So it's not the same...

We're not even going until Feb. 2005 but it will still be closed then.

Same here! Our trip is Feb 2005 also...

IF we still go. I swear I'm getting so bummed out about this trip. I guess I'll wait and see if we can get some PS's we want and make a decision on whether to keep the trip as planned or not. It just seems like I keep reading more and more stuff to depress me about going on another WDW trip and this time a cruise... from the a/c at the resorts going off at night (and I do NOT want to spend all night flapping arms to keep it on- who pays $600 a night for that crapola? and my family including DH will be very cranky if the room is even slightly warmer than ice cold at night...) to IASW being closed... couldn't be any other ride, has to be this one... the only one my daughter still talks about..... to things on the cruiseline being discontinued like the autographed pillow.. etc. (and who knows what all else will be discontinued by the time we cruise!)

I just keep thinking how it's an awful lot of money for less and less we're getting out of it... could go for about 10% of the cost to Jamaica all inclusive- with a nanny no less... and still be in the Caribbean. I love Disney.. but... there comes a limit to me on what's worth it...

There is massive rehab being done, they plan on changing the entire way that people get on and off of the attraction, kind of like the rehab they just performed on Snow White. But aside from that there is going to be a big cosmetic overhaul and also I've heard talk of enhancing the sound system. By the time it opens it'll be fantastic but I dunno, how people will recieve it after being closed that long! pirate:

Rehabs are a necessity in keeping WDW at the level we expect it to be. In fact, I think they've pushed rehabs on some attractions out too far. Some attractions have been looking pretty shabby the past few years....
Kids favorite attractions seem to change each trip & tho they might be bummed for a minute - if our reaction as parents is upbeat & guides them to new points of interest, they will be fine & happy. There is so much for them to see & do, one down attraction is not going to ruin their experience.

I know this from traveling to WDW with my son from age 3 (he's now 15). His favorite waterpark was River Country. Most of our trips, unfortunately, coincided with RC being down - he would comment on it & go on with the trip. His favorite attractions changed with each year & he rolled with it. Each trip was special for him.

I agree Leota!

The last time we went in September the Haunted Mansion was down for rehab. and this is one of our favorite rides. It was very disapointing but we enjoyed our trip none the less understanding that all rides undergo rehab at some point. And without the Haunted Mansion open my fiance discovered he had a new favorite ride, Splash Mountain (so something positive did come out of it) :)

I personally think it's silly to cancel your trip just because IASW will be closed unless the ONLY reason you're going to Disney is for IASW and if that's the case then that's a heck of a lot of money JUST to go ride in a boat and see some singing dolls.

I don't think the rehab of one ride - which really needed the work - is a reason to cancel a trip. On our last trip my daughter's favorite ride - Pooh - was closed. She was very disappointed at first, but still greatly enjoyed our trip. She has asked since we scheduled our next trip if Pooh would be open this time.

WDW doesn't have just one fun, exciting ride for kids. They can be easily distracted with characters and other rides. Refurbishing rides is a necessary evil we all have to live through at one point or another.

Shelly

I just found this out as well. I'm really bummed. I'm taking my two young children in Dec. What child and adult does not love It's a Small World. This is Disney. What a disappointment.

Hi,
First off- I understand that rehabs are necessary. My point is that does it have to be SO LONG? An entire year (and maybe longer since they just say "spring" and not a definite date) to rehab? I'm unaccustomed to things taking THAT long to "rehab". Most things aren't closed down for 1yr+ everytime they rehab- are they?

And secondly, no where in my post did I say I was considering cancelling our trip ONLY for the IASW ride being down for rehab. So please do not post (and even call it silly) as if that's what I said- when it IS NOT what I said. thanks.

We just got back from WDW with our now 4 year old, and we were worried about many of the exact same things that you are talking about. Thankfully, however, everything turned out fine.

Small World is the ride that he talked about the most - in fact in DS-speak, the phrase 'small world' actually means WDW. But we explained to him for about a month in advance of the trip, on various occasions, how IASW was going to be closed on our trip. I was worried that he would be crushed, but he rolled with it very very well, and actually picked up a new favorite ride - Buzz Lightyear.

If it's really going to be years in between trips for you, and IASW is one of your all time favorites, then sure - bump the trip back until May.

By the way, we stayed in one of the hotels that people complain about the motion activated air conditioning - Beach Club Villas, and we didn't have any problems at all with it.

If you like to stay in the types of on-site properties that cost $600 a night, perhaps you should consider buying a small number of points via re-sale in the Disney Vacation Club. It actually makes going to WDW much easier to handle financially for us. You could buy 100 points on a resale contract, and only use the points every third year. That way, you use last year's points, this year's points and next year's points all at once, and it would pay for itself over taking trips, however infrequently, at $600/night.

I sympathize with your concerns, just wanted to tell you how well things worked out for us when we were extremely worried about a lot of the same things too.

Yeah, that's an idea (about pushing the trip back to May or summer)- atleast that would help on the IASW situation.... I think I'll wait a month or so and see if for sure their "winter break" is going to be when I think it is in Feb 2005... and if it is (meaning the trip is still on) then I'll wait and see how our PS's go later.

We don't normally spend that much on a resort room- but we are this time because I want to stay GF concierge -and normally we stay 10-12 days which would be entirely too expensive. But this trip was going to be a short stay at WDW resort/parks and then the cruise... so I figured it was the best time to do GF concierge. That was going to work perfectly because we plan on doing things at GF but time spent at parks would be at MK... atleast I know DS will still be thrilled with Buzz Lightyear... now if THAT goes down for rehab during that time too.... Holy mackerel I'd have to just avoid that park all together. LOL

DVC is something I'm working on... gotta get DH on track with that one. LOL

Let me know if you have any DVC questions at all. I can't refer people, because I live in a state that doesn't allow DVC to send 'thank yous' to members who refer people - but it has changed our lives so much, I still love to talk about it. Please don't hesitate to e-mail or PM me if you have any questions.

By the way, we bought both of our DVC contracts direct through Disney, but in your case I think buying a resale would save you a TON of money - because if you only go every few years for a long time, then you don't need the minimum number of points that Disney would require that you buy.

Other than that, however, I do heartily recommend taking the DVC tour on your next trip. It is COMPLETELY free of any pressure, and is actually quite enjoyable. You might find that it's more affordable than you thought it would be.

Please let us know what you decide to do about your trip.

Originally posted by ash&abby'smom
What child and adult does not love It's a Small World. This is Disney. What a disappointment.

I utterly loathe the ride. I hated it when I was 6; I hated it when I was 8; I hate it now that I'm 35. My daughter hated it when she was 3 (I was so proud). My wife isn't a big fan either.

:earsboy:

Originally posted by Gaiusrex
I utterly loathe the ride. I hated it when I was 6; I hated it when I was 8; I hate it now that I'm 35. My daughter hated it when she was 3 (I was so proud). My wife isn't a big fan either.

:earsboy:

personally, I think the ride does need some updateing....Although I am still young, my 4th disney trip will be in July and everysingle time we went, we went on IASW. I didnt like it when we all went in 97, I didnt like it in 2000, I didnt like it in 2003, and thank god it will be closed when i go in 04. I think that it doesn't represent todays generation at all, and although it is a great inside ride for infants, teens do NOT want to go on it. I don't know about other teens, but I know i am not happy at all when I see some wierd looking dolls with outdated costumes. The song also needs to be redone because I find it rather annoying after it repeats itself numerous times. so Gaiusrex, I am riding in the same boat as you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter