Italy and working out

TXAKDisneyFan

DIS Veteran
Does anyone know how much walking one averages on the Italy (Rome, Florence, Tuscany, Venice) trip?

My husband is a runner and rides the Peloton every day. I also typically bike 15 miles a day (as few as 10, up to 26). We'd like to continue exercising while on vacation.

We go to WDW several times a year and don't mind not going to the gym since we walk so much there (all day commando-style parkgoers, never take a rest day). Is the walking on the Italy tour similar?

Also, do the hotels have gyms, and is there actually time to use them? (I don't know how early everyone is expected to be ready every morning, and how late everyone gets back to the hotels.)

Thanks!

It is a Vacation Trip & not a commando trip

Walking would be at the pace of the slowest person and the guide will have do do his /her

tour stuff while walking ( And stopping for All to hear the info. )

It is a Vacation Trip & not a commando trip

Walking would be at the pace of the slowest person and the guide will have do do his /her

tour stuff while walking ( And stopping for All to hear the info. )
Yes but if you're walking through cities/museums/etc most of every day, the distance you travel adds up. I know a lot of people track their daily step count, and was hoping someone could report back.

I don't know what time the tour generally starts each morning, when guests usually get back to the hotel, and much sitting you're actually doing. I'm trying to gauge whether my husband and I will feel the need to exercise outside the tour, and if we'll even have the opportunity.

(People on these boards commonly call visiting theme parks from morning to close without pool/rest days "commando." I don't mean that we speed walk or run everywhere. I mean we're not sleeping in or sitting at our resort.)

We did quite a bit of walking on the Southern CA ABD. There were plenty of times when the slower guests found a bench while the rest of us stood and walked more.

I’m curious, too! We’re traveling on the 8/12 trip and I plan to bring my running shoes, I figure I can always run outside for a mile or two each morning—that’s what I did during my last WDW trip, and it felt good!

When our family went in July 2018, the longest walking I recall doing was in Rome and Venice. One day we got dropped off near the Spanish steps and then walked towards the Trevi fountain (got gelato nearby) and then walked to the Pantheon, then towards lunch. On a separate day we went around the coliseum and the Roman forum.

My estimate is that both days the walk was somewhere around 1-1.5 miles (broken up), but as I’m sure you can guess Rome in July is fairly hot so it felt longer.

Florence and Venice were similar in terms of distance. In Florence we did a walking tour as we approached the Academy/David, but it’s broken up and was cooler there, so it doesn’t feel so bad. Venice felt similar to Rome… the walking tour basically started as soon as we got off the train/Gondola at mid-day.

TBH I didn’t check out the gyms at any of the hotels. The kids enjoyed the pools at two of them. I would highly encourage you go for a run around the town instead of using the hotel gym. The hotel gym IMHO won’t be anything memorable but the views in Italy will be priceless!

I have done 8 ABDs and have managed to find time to run on all of them. You won’t have time every day but at least half the days you can fit something in. Definitely bring your stuff and realize it may be a 30 min workout but good enough

Looking at my watch we did about 6 miles of walking most days on the Italy trip. Highest was 9.5 and lowest was around 4 miles. Also lots of steps/climbs included in that. Also it was HOT. high 90s a lot of that time

I have done 8 ABDs and have managed to find time to run on all of them. You won’t have time every day but at least half the days you can fit something in. Definitely bring your stuff and realize it may be a 30 min workout but good enough
I haven't gone on an ABD tour, but I have done much independent travel. I love when I can get an early morning run while visiting a new city/ country. It's so peaceful and a great way to see the new destination wake up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter