"It never rains in California............

Nohal

DIS Veteran
We are going to Disneyland next week and its supposed to rain on Thursday and Friday. Wasn't planning on bringing ponchos or an umbrella. Like the song says I didn't think it rained in California!!!!

It pours. Man, it pours.

It's true that it doesn't rain as often, especially compared to Florida where I swear a thunderstorm breaks out at precisely 3:00 PM every day, but it does occasionally, and since this in an El Nino year, it's rained pretty often this spring.

I'd go to Target or the dollar store and get a few cheap, disposable ponchos. I always have them in case we want to go on water rides but don't want to get really wet, and they're cheap enough that I just chuck them after the ride. They also take up very little room as well. They came in handy on my last trip when it rained off and on all day on our last day. Many people weren't prepared and were buying ponchos at the parks, which were really pricey.

I'm at Disneyland and my iPhone weather shows in the 70s and sunny those two days... But I don't trust any predictions that far out, anyway!

You'd be kind of lucky if it did rain because crowds will likely be low (I almost always pop over if it's raining for that reason), but I can see how it would be unexpected.

I would TOTALLY take some cheapy ponchos and sweatshirts and go have a ball. Like PP said, the locals tend to stay away on rainy days and it thins the crowd a bit. WORTH IT

Sorry to sound like broken record to what others have said already but buy cheap ponchos at your local store. While visiting in early April it decided to rain a good portion of our trip. The Walmart close to Disneyland was completely sold out of cheap ponchos. I also drove to Target and they literally laughed at me when I asked if they had any cheap ponchos. I would definitely buy them before you go. Besides if you go to WOC and get the yellow section you'll have the option to stand in the front row and use the ponchos too.

Dollar Tree has $1 ponchos. I think we paid $10 for nicer, reusable, sized raincoats at Walmart (in camping area). I've been going a few times a year, and I've ended up with at least a little rain each year (generally, each trip except for the June/July visits).

I've also watched the forecast change daily--and expected an "all trip" rain situation in which I sweltered in my long jeans and sweatshirts. It misted for about 45 minutes, and rained for about 5 minutes that trip!

Best advice: Layers! Bring a rain coat or poncho to keep in the locker just in case.

We have taken 3 trips to Disney in the last 4 years (Oct, Dec, May) It POURED 2 of the 3 (not every day), but our Oct. and May trips both had terrible, pouring, freezing cold rain!

I love rainy days at Disneyland! The crowds scatter so quickly and leave the park in a more desirable state (in my opinion!) In rained our last day in January and people left after it didn't stop for a couple of hours. It finally stopped about 5/6 pm and we walked onto EVERYTHING until we left at 9. :)

We have Disney ponchos and have had them for 5 years now with no complaints. They were definitely worth the money we paid!

Where are you seeing rain next week? The most I see is a 10% chance, which means it won't rain and it if does it won't last long or be that bad.

Rainy days at DL are awesome! Seriously, just went on Saturday and the rain was light and just enough to keep some crowds away. It was so nice! Bring some cheap ponchos. On accuweather, I'm seeing a 30% chance on Thursday and nothing Friday. I personally predict you'll be okay given that it looks like it's suppose to be rather warm that day and any rain you get will probably be refreshing. It's not super likely to rain though. I could be wrong, but usually this time of year, the most you'll get is some light mist in the morning hours.

I'll also be there on those days. I hope it rains to scare away some of the expected crowds!

But, my weather app isn't indicating any real likelihood of rain.

Man, when it rained when we were there in April, it did NOT thin the crowds one bit. Maybe it just needed to rain a little harder! LOL

We went in January and the forecast said it may rain. I had bought the $10 ponchos (Totes brand) from Target. Then as we got closer to the trip the forecast said it really going to rain. My son and I got cheap hooded windbreakers from KMart for $17 ea. My husband (he's taller, bigger) got a hooded windbreaker from Big 5 Sporting goods for $25. We returned the $10 ponchos and we're really glad we did. The windbreakers had a more snug fit and kept us dry.We also wore them that night over our sweatshirts even though it wasn't raining but it was windy! We also had 2 umbrellas to share and were glad we had them.

Good luck and have fun! We ended up having a great Sunday in the park because the lines weren't too bad at all. pooh:

Like the song says I didn't think it rained in California!!!!

Really?

Get a good poncho. Thick plastic. The cheap thin ones feel like plastic wrap, and not the brand name stuff.

The full lyric (I looked it up bc I never heard of the song and have been mystified for years as to why people are surprised by rain there) is "It never rains in California, but girl don't they warn ya. It pours, man, it pours."

So even in the song it rains. :)

It did rain one afternoon on our last trip. We were at CA and the crowds really thinned out. My kids were willing to brave the rain and we thought it would be great until we found every ride we went to closed. After crossing the park to find nothing open (even Ariel's was closed) and really wet feet we too headed to the hotel. In retrospect, DL might be a better place to be if it does rain with many more indoor rides. Wish I had thought of that while we were there!
Have a great trip!

It rained for a bit during our last trip, still wore shorts and a t-shirt and laughed at all the poncho wearers. Maybe it's just me but I've gotten way wetter on Grizzly or Splash than I've ever gotten in the rain at DL.

Maybe it's just me but I've gotten way wetter on Grizzly or Splash than I've ever gotten in the rain at DL.

It's not just you!

We said to ourselves once "We're already drenched from the rain, how much worse can it get? Lets ride GRR!"

The answer is MUCH, MUCH WORSE!

Really?

Get a good poncho. Thick plastic. The cheap thin ones feel like plastic wrap, and not the brand name stuff.

The full lyric (I looked it up bc I never heard of the song and have been mystified for years as to why people are surprised by rain there) is "It never rains in California, but girl don't they warn ya. It pours, man, it pours."

So even in the song it rains. :)
I forgot the rest of the song.:rotfl:

Thanks for all of the replies. DH checked the weather and told me that it was supposed to rain. I just checked myself and it is supposed to be nice. Have no idea if they changed the weather or he was looking at the wrong city. We have the ponchos from Disneyworld (the yellow ones from over 20 years ago) but I didn't want to bring them. Looks like I won't need them but an taking a few $$ store ones.

[QUOTE="Nohal, post: 55751950, member: 212892" Have no idea if they changed the weather or he was looking at the wrong city. .[/QUOTE]
I just looked out of curiosity and there is a 60% chance of rain at WDW Wednesday - Saturday next week, bet he looked at the weather there and not DisneyLAND.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter